Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good hood for extra clearance near front of hood?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Deedilus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good hood for extra clearance near front of hood?

My engine blew and I'm currently doing a V8 swap, and as a result I'm probably going to need up to 2 inch clearance near the front of the hood. I'm not really sure how to describe what area the clearance is going to be needed, but it looks like an area that there should be an aftermarket hood that will clear it, but here's an old picture I found that I can show the general area the clearance is going to be needed.

If this is a stupid question, my bad. When I looked at the area this morning when it got taken to the garage the swap is going to be done at it just seemed very close to the front, and I didn't know if there was a hood that would clear that far up. I know there are things like the Stillen one, but aren't those farther up in the engine bay?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:12 PM
diablox1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know what year car you have. but have you looked at the HR hoods? ('07+ 350Zs)
Old 08-03-2010, 06:23 PM
TSG-Z

Get a Stillen hood.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

how did you blow the motor?.. doesnt even look FI. Id look into HR hood or stillen. I know a few ppl with V8 swaps and still on stock hood. what motor are you putting in?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by diablox1
i dont know what year car you have. but have you looked at the HR hoods? ('07+ 350Zs)
I have an '05. I haven't looked at those yet, is there anywhere online where I can see how much clearance it has over the '05?

Originally Posted by TSG-Z
Get a Stillen hood.
The Stillen is bulged in that area? I might just go with that, I've seen the Stillen hood in person before, looks pretty nice.

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
how did you blow the motor?.. doesnt even look FI. Id look into HR hood or stillen. I know a few ppl with V8 swaps and still on stock hood. what motor are you putting in?
My buddy who did my last oil change for me because I was busy stripped the plug, at a drift event Saturday it fell out in mid-run. You can probably see where this is going.

As for motor, VH45. Swap will be done in around 18-19 days.

Last edited by Deedilus; 08-03-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 PM
mizzle

Can't wait to see final product!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm more of an HR hood fan but i believe the stillen should give you the maximum clearance in that highlighted area with it's big bulge
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by mizzle
Can't wait to see final product!
Thanks Mizzle, definitely going to be posting up the finished project after it's finished. As far as I can tell it should be the first in a really large area, which is definitely a really cool achievement. Expect vids + lots of pictures. The advantages to using this engine are flat out incredible... It should open a lot of peoples eyes to how incredible the engine really is, the numbers are just ridiculous.

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
i'm more of an HR hood fan but i believe the stillen should give you the maximum clearance in that highlighted area with it's big bulge
So far it seems like those two are the popular choices. Do you know if the HR / Stillen hoods are heavier than the OEM DR hood? I'm going to be doing some weight shedding, and since this engine is only about 50 lbs heavier / lighter (really depends, different with each application) than the VQ I want to try and counter-act that if possible with whatever hood I go with.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 AM
mizzle

Videos would be great... There's not very many videos of HR TT out there.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Deedilus

For sure man. I'll have to wait until we have the engine in the car and then make my decision. If I can get away with the HR, I'm going to do that. The Stillen looks odd to me for some reason.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:27 PM
gshadyz

Go to Tech 2 they have a hood and all you need for the swap

http://www.tech2motorsports.com/350z.php
Old 08-04-2010, 02:52 PM
BoomerZ33

Originally Posted by Deedilus
So far it seems like those two are the popular choices. Do you know if the HR / Stillen hoods are heavier than the OEM DR hood? I'm going to be doing some weight shedding, and since this engine is only about 50 lbs heavier / lighter (really depends, different with each application) than the VQ I want to try and counter-act that if possible with whatever hood I go with.

All of the oem hoods weigh about the same as the stillen and their differences are minimal if anything. There's also a CF stillen style hood for sale if you want to save even more weight.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by gshadyz
Go to Tech 2 they have a hood and all you need for the swap

http://www.tech2motorsports.com/350z.php
I have all materials for the swap, that's not an issue; just the hood at the moment.. Thanks though.

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
All of the oem hoods weigh about the same as the stillen and their differences are minimal if anything. There's also a CF stillen style hood for sale if you want to save even more weight.
That's what I was thinking, thanks boomer. I'll have to take some measurements when the engine is snug in the engine bay. It's going to be a tight fit for SURE, the measurements are pointing to around 3/4" on the sides.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM
raycs7

I am curious about the parts list for the swap.
I picked up a project damaged 03 for this purpose but need a little left front frame time.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 AM
Deedilus

Ray: ever since I heard the numbers and drove a Z32 with this swap, I am hugely in favor of this swap. It's a terrific engine and you can make such immense amounts of power and torque so easily. Plus it's lightweight, which is a huge plus points for drifters and road racers like me.

As for the parts list, the main thing is the engine and a tranny that can handle the power, I got the Z32 tranny with an earlier Vh45 model with variable valve timing. After a quick cheap ecu tune before the ecu is put in it should raise the redline to about 7400(?) I think, and the power to around 300whp. The tough part is a LOT of things need to be fabricated, which is the tough bit. One thing that comes to mind for this is the transmission adapter and engine mounts.

Also, since the engine is going to fit so snug in the engine bay, if you plan on keeping a/c like me, you're going to have to go electric. The standard pump/cooler is way to big and won't fit; it's possible the power steering is the same. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Oh, also driveshaft and other components of that nature. I can try and get a full list of everything needed if you'd like.

I'm typing this on my iPhone inside the student center at college, so if there are massive errors in my post I apologize.

Last edited by Deedilus; 08-05-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You sure make it sound so simple when I can assure you it wont be. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 AM
BoomerZ33

Good luck dude. Lookin forward to the completed pics and dyno graphs!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Deedilus

Haha I know it's nowhere near simple, sorry if I was making it sound that way. The sheer amount of fabrication required is ridiculous, and very difficult. Luckily I have a buddy who has done all sorts of fabrications and swaps that is doing it since I have no time.. If it wasn't for him there would be no way I would be doing this swap!

Thanks for the support BoomerZ33, can't wait to post up the finished product thread.

Last edited by Deedilus; 08-05-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 PM
raycs7

Originally Posted by Deedilus
The sheer amount of fabrication required is ridiculous, and very difficult.
Subbed to get info. GL with the project.
I figured it would not be easy so I am leaving my options open.
Soon I will begin selling all I would not need from the car.

I need to replace the inner fender metal apron which I located for 150.00.
I plan to drill out the old and assist in replacing with an undamaged part.

I bought this car [fairly cheap] with swapping motor in mind. Long term though.
I travel too much now.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by raycs7
Subbed to get info. GL with the project.
I figured it would not be easy so I am leaving my options open.
Soon I will begin selling all I would not need from the car.

I need to replace the inner fender metal apron which I located for 150.00.
I plan to drill out the old and assist in replacing with an undamaged part.

I bought this car [fairly cheap] with swapping motor in mind. Long term though.
I travel too much now.
Thanks man. The only issue right now that I have been thinking about is the rear end of the car, just because I know that they Z33 rear end is as strong as the Z32 one (which handles this swap like a champ), but the stock posi disc is much weaker on the Z33. However I think with a limited slip diff that should cure the rear end putting down too much torque and inevitably breaking.

Good luck with your project Z, if you want a lot more in-detail information on the swap I can let you know the name of my buddy who is actually undertaking the swap since I don't have much time. There are plenty of good swaps out there, so it's just a matter of which one works best for you at the time in my opinion. Good luck man, will let you know how the VH45 works out!

Quick Reply: Good hood for extra clearance near front of hood?