Sponsored by:

PHILIPS HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PHILIPS HID kit

New Thread... Yes, I searched and this title does not exist

Now that I know blue halogen bulbs are so, so... (lol)... I've moved on and into searching for a HID kit (possibly PHILIPS) for my 2004 350Z.
An unbiased comparison...
PHILIPS HID kit review vs DDM Kit, both 35w (post #14 )
http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-...allasts-2.html

So I've seen a few kits out there now (35w and 55w) and come to my own conclusion that the whole HID conversion kit market is in that grey zone... manufacturers, their origins and quality??? Including PHILIPS!
A link showing the confusion, what!?
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...c35fd518dd6511

Makes you wonder, how to purchase a "real" PHILIPS HID kit, lol!
http://www.philipshidkits.com/produc...-HID-Kit-.html

^I'm assuming this operation is in China, licensed by PHILIPS. $169!

http://www.philipshidkits.com/produc...ngle-Beam.html

^This appears to be genuine!?

Some others...
http://www.xenonlightshid.com/PhotoG...e=PhilXen6000k

^Is it me or does that main box look the same (see link below)!?
The link below shows the same box, but with Vision X ballast (who!?)
At least the Amzon sellers states it's a different branded ballast.

http://www.amazon.com/9003-9005-9006...0968812&sr=8-2

Makes you wonder... If it were up to me, I would prefer a $250 plus PHILIPS HID kit to come from Germany only. I'm starting to think, how good can $50 HID conversion kit be!?

PHILIPS HID kit $359 on Amazon has the volts ranging from 09-16v (seems normal) vs 09-32v found elsewhere or on China made HID ballast.
http://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-HID-CO...sr=8-2-catcorr

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 08-04-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:03 PM
zaperroni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a $40 HID conversion kit into my buddy's car. Been working fine for more than a year
5 minute installation too
Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 PM
c0ld29

cheap HID kits are just as good as the expensive ones. My friend bought a 50 set from ebay that lasted 2 years until he sold the truck and I had some from DDM on my last car that lasted 2 1/2 years until I sold it.

I had another friend spend $300 bucks on a set of HIDs that looked (build wise) worst than the $50 ones, and I believe they went out within a year, so....
Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Philips is a supplier of OEM lighting for many vehicles. This looks like a quality kit.

Do not be impressed or confused by wattage or volts. More watts are not better. The important voltage is the voltage draw from the power system. All kits should meet vehicle standards.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Zquicksilver

I have to respond with a yes, no and maybe you just got lucky (cold29). It's nice to read you've had decent success with the DDM brand, it seems they have been around for a few years now which is promising. I'm still considering a kit from them only because members keep responding here in this section with favorable reviews. I’ve seen $50 kits out there that look like complete crap, it just makes you wonder and it’s why I brought it up. I am still researching HID kits of all price levels, just out of my own curiosity. I find this particular lighting sector and means of distribution interesting, along with the warranties and promises, because you read many of the kits are illegal. Yet Amazon, Ebay and various websites still sell the kits and distribute the product on US soil. But that's not of my concern, whether the DOT sticker and product is legit. It’s not what I want this thread to be about. So back to PHILIPS and the quest for a genuine kit, that is completely made in Germany or by a legitimately licensed PHILIPS manufacturer/ distributor. I’m emailing one of the websites on their facebook page in regards to the PHILIPS licensed kit, I would like to know more about that kit!

I don't mind paying 5 times more if it's a genuine PHILIPS product backed by only a two year warranty. What!? Yes, I say this because a warranty is only as good as the company backing it up. PHILIPS is huge and they have the deep pockets to replace the faulty product. Their quality is usually flawless, hence the reason their still profitable and in business. I also share this reasoning because a brand name gives me peace of mind knowing my car won't catch fire because of a poor soldering job within the internal components of a digital ballast, that is nothing more than a pretty die-cast housing in a pretty package along with junk wiring and lamps that last 1/10th that of name brand lamps. But that’s a lot of what IF’s and I’m not poking at or speaking of DDM or other low costs kit that actually may be good products, offered and available only because of a lower profit margin.

Lighting systems are comprised of many complex elements, along with the people who design, engineer, produce, distribute and install them. I am not an OEM fanboy… if something comparable exists with quality materials and some sort of warranty for a lesser price I will buy it. If it’s cheap, but still seems somewhat legit, I’ll try it only after others have for a year or so, lol! I was considering buying used 35w OEM ballasts and just hard wiring them in along with name brand D2R lamps, but then thought to myself why, if I can buy a genuine PHILIPS HID conversion kit with 2yr warranty or a user proven inexpensive kit such as DDM.

David, the $349 PHILIPS kit on Amazon seems legit all around; if that’s the kit you’re referring to.

My soul purpose of this thread was to make fellow members aware of the PHILIPS branded and labeled kits out there. I’ll be honest; I was a bit surprised at what I found.

More to come…
Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 08-05-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
tquill

Warranty is nice... but I could buy and replace my ebay kit 7 times for the price of the philips kit. I've had my 50 dollar ebay kit for over two years with no problems.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Zquicksilver

this is true... just like my mechanic told me i could replace my SS exhuast system twice with a regular steel one but that SS system is beautiful!

trying to get Philips to warranty, ie replace my hacked conversion kit into a non-xenon (DOT approved) car may prove to be a PITA and not worth my time.

but like the example above in the link (Prius forum), that Philips ebay kit produced some nice clean powerful light compared to the 35w DDM kit...?

Zquicksilver