Sponsored by:

Z valve stem caps

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 10:52 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z valve stem caps

Is the theft-proof caps worth $28 or get the non-theft proof oned for $14. I am ordering some and want to see if anyone else has ordered them?

Here's the link

https://www.courtesyparts.com/Mercha...de=12453-20656
Old 11-16-2003, 06:47 AM
nlauri

I have already had 2 sets of valve stem covers stolen off my car. The original ones and a cheap set from Schucks I replaced same with. Now I will buy the theft proof ones.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:15 AM
islandsnow

Default buy theft proof

you don't know how many cheap asses there are out in the world until you buy things that aren't theft proof. Not sure where you live, but In LA those would be gone at one ralphs market excursion. I had my caps stolen in Irvine, a place where people have money.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:22 AM
Natal

I went with the theft-proof caps. The probability is fairly high that the same kid/vandal will rip you off again. If you have no idea of who did it or where it happened, go with the theft-proof; one more loss and you break even. My concern was that the key to lock/unlock is not unique, but it's a chance you have to take. If it's kids messing around, they probably won't have the key. On the other hand...

BTW, the first time Courtesy Parts sent me the regular caps by mistake. They were fairly light and seemed to be made from polycarbonate. I didn't have the OEM Z caps to compare with, but I thought my original caps were heavier. The replacement theft-proof caps were solid and the outer part is made of chrome plated solid machined brass.

It seals pretty well, too. I had the tire feathering swap done and the dealer did not properly tighten the stem valve on one of the tires; however, the cap held most of the air in. I noticed it three weeks after, when the alarm went off after the tire pressure had fallen to about 27 psi.

Last edited by Natal; 11-16-2003 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:00 AM
Stone Z

Thumbs up

I have the theft proof Z caps........definitely worth the money if you ask me. I know for a fact that the originals would have been stolen by now, and these as well if not for them being theft proof.

Plus, they look pretty cool to boot.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:53 AM
QuartZ

Sounds like a good idea...only 1 thing to consider. I'd rather have the punks make off with cheap valve stem covers, than get frutrated by my $28.00 pair and have them key my Volks or my car for that matter out of spite!

Some people would do that. If they can't get what they want off your car, they'll damage it.

Something to think about.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:30 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Well, I have them and when I had to get the wheels fixed due to scratches I forgot to leave the tool with the guy so he could remove them, I realized this when I went to pick up the wheels and I asked him if I had forgotten to leave him the tool and he said yes but that it was no problem he got them off that I needed the tool to install them!!!!! WTF

Also, they seem to be marking up the wheel, I guessing that at high speeds the stem gets pushed up against the wheel and since it is hard plastic they are marking up the wheel.