Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First adventure in painting. Please help me out, I want to learn

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 PM
adamtaylorpcb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First adventure in painting. Please help me out, I want to learn

i just ordered some new fenders for my car and I am always looking to learn something new. i want to try my hand at painting. Foolish... maybe, but i want to at least try..... thats how i learned how to fiberglass, build box's, fabricate with aluminum, do interior vinyl and leather work etc... There in lies the problem. i dont know what i need aside from paint, clear coat, primer (i think unless there is a single stage) compressor and paint gun.

i already have a good compressor and i purchased a pretty descent paint gun recently. we have a greenhouse that i can use as a paint booth to keep contaminants out. Please help me out and if it comes out great, ill paint something for you on the free free just for taking your time.

i dont know where to get the paint from or is i need reducers or activators, how to prep (figure its similar to fiberglass enclosure prep work which i have a lot of time with) or clean my gear after use.

I'm a noob with this, teach me your tricks and share your knowledge. i have my flame suit on

and hey, if it fails i can either have it professionally done or wrap it in 3m Di-Noc

PS: the paint code is G41

Last edited by adamtaylorpcb; 12-17-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:12 PM
R350Zz33

u need spirits to clean the gun or something like that lol my friend is a autobody and car painter by trade i can ask him tomorrow i know you shouldn't put the paint in a styrofoam cup lol
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 PM
xthejokerx

hey, check out youtube while you wait for replies in the meantime ... maybe google some automotive body painting forums and join.

best of luck on your adventure!
Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 AM
porschett

Wow, I could write a book on it! Good news for you it's black. Black is black, unless it a metallic. Your final work is only going to be as good as your prep work. Sand, primer, sand, primer, until it's as smooth as possible. Dust will kill the job, so hang damp sheets on the walls and dampen the floor. PM me if you want more info, I don't want to write an entire page here unless other members are interested.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 AM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by porschett
Wow, I could write a book on it! Good news for you it's black. Black is black, unless it a metallic. Your final work is only going to be as good as your prep work. Sand, primer, sand, primer, until it's as smooth as possible. Dust will kill the job, so hang damp sheets on the walls and dampen the floor. PM me if you want more info, I don't want to write an entire page here unless other members are interested.
G41 is metallic black FYI
Old 12-18-2010, 08:18 PM
adamtaylorpcb

Originally Posted by sry110
yeah, they call it "magnetic black" i guess because it attracts every dust particle in a 20 mile radius
Old 12-19-2010, 05:22 AM
porschett

Originally Posted by sry110
SORRY, I did a quick google. They only listed it as black. My most humble apology for my mistake. I can only hope you find it in your heart to forgive
Old 12-19-2010, 07:26 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by porschett
SORRY, I did a quick google. They only listed it as black. My most humble apology for my mistake. I can only hope you find it in your heart to forgive
LOL as I was typing it I was like "using the FYI abbreviation is going to make me look like an a$$hole". I honestly didn't mean it like that....I was just adding it for clarification sake.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 AM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Prep is key. Also some components that have to be mixed.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:21 AM
porschett

PM sent with more info.

@sry1110 It's cool, just had a fight with my gf.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 AM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, I hope your not willing to also perform branE surgery on yourself if necessary, quit being cheap and pay a professional. You need a paint booth among other things, maybe you can learn to paint on maybe a revell model with a paasche airbrush

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/
Old 12-19-2010, 11:51 PM
adamtaylorpcb

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
OP, I hope your not willing to also perform branE surgery on yourself if necessary, quit being cheap and pay a professional. You need a paint booth among other things, maybe you can learn to paint on maybe a revell model with a paasche airbrush

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/
not being cheap, i could pay to have it done without breaking a sweat... i just like to do things myself and expand my knowledge and skill set. plus i am allot more proud of it when someone looks at something i have done in my car and says "wow, that looks sick... who did those kick pods(example) for you" and i can reply yours truly instead of "i paid some guy to do it because im too lazy and retarded to do it myself or try to learn anything and take a chance in my life... why would i want to be productive when i can just pull out my wallet and pay some random dude to do it"
Old 12-20-2010, 04:10 AM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
not being cheap, i could pay to have it done without breaking a sweat... i just like to do things myself and expand my knowledge and skill set. plus i am allot more proud of it when someone looks at something i have done in my car and says "wow, that looks sick... who did those kick pods(example) for you" and i can reply yours truly instead of "i paid some guy to do it because im too lazy and retarded to do it myself or try to learn anything and take a chance in my life... why would i want to be productive when i can just pull out my wallet and pay some random dude to do it"

+ uno give it a shot
Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 AM
sry110

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
I hear ya. I wish I had the ability to paint and to fabricate parts (i.e. cut and weld metal) at home. I'm sure I could build a make-shift paint booth in the basement but I'm not too confident I have the steady hand or patience to be a good painter.

For what it's worth, we were having a discussion in another thread about painting and the topic of baking the finished paint came up, i.e. some shops would paint the bumper and then bake it for some period of time to cure the paint. I don't know the ins and outs of it, or whether it's an absolute necessity, etc., but it might be something to think about since you probably don't have a means of doing that at home. Good luck!