Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you regret installing your asuka double hump roof?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 PM
User 42426

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you regret installing your asuka double hump roof?

Hey guys,

So I have the cf asuka double hump roof in my garage. I was wondering, for those who have it installed on your car, do you feel as if it was worth what you paid for? The thing is 600-800 dollars, and once its on the car, its something that doesnt come off easily. So once you install it, its done. Do the looks/style/flow with the rest of the car make it worth the price? If not, I was planning on just selling it and painting the roof black for 200-300 bucks, or vinyl wrap for even cheaper. Let me know, thanks.

Steve
Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

wow, that much for a carbon fiber roof??? I doubt anyone will give you what you paid. my suggestion is, to ask yourself if you plan in keeping the car for awhile. If the answer is yes, than install it. If no, then get rid of it.

don't buy something if you don't plan in using it, you might aswell be throwing money away...
Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 PM
User 42426

Well im not really concerned about getting what I paid for. I just wanted to know if the thing is worth 600-800 installed for members. I ask because a black roof looks just as nice as these installed. So im kinda torn. Also, these are discontinued, so its not like I can just sell it and buy it later down the road when I want one. But yes, I am planning on keeping the car for a while
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its worth it if it's discontinued. It will definitely make your car stand out amongst other Z's. And who here buys new items in hopes of reselling them for what you got it for or more? I know I don't lol.

Gotta pay to play!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Well I've had it for about 4 months... I had it cleared before putting on and I opted not to have it screwed in. I like the look and aside from my diffuser, the roof is the only real big piece of CF I have on the car. I say install it.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 PM
User 42426

^^Why did you not want to hold it with screws? And is it still fully secure without it? Im assuming you just applied 3m tape front and back with the a pillars holding it down?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by stevehl
^^Why did you not want to hold it with screws? And is it still fully secure without it? Im assuming you just applied 3m tape front and back with the a pillars holding it down?
My installer used a special apoxy under the A pillars and 3M on front/rear of the roof. It's not going any where.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

If you install it do it right, cut the metal roof out and install the CF roof. Make sure you paint it to avoid the mismatch junkyard look that the civic crowd seems to love.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:54 AM
User 42426

^^Never heard that one before, cutting the roof? Also, if I paint it, that would defeat the purpose of me buying it for a high price.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by stevehl
^^Never heard that one before, cutting the roof? Also, if I paint it, that would defeat the purpose of me buying it for a high price.
Typically when you buy and install a carbon roof, you do it to save weight. I know the latest trend with the little ricers is to just slap stick on carbon crap everywhere on there car, but what does that do , just add weight and look lame. How would paint defeat the puspose, the purpose of the roof is to shed weight, painting it when the job is complete just protects your investment. Paint also keeps you from having the mismatched build from the junkyard look, even though that lookit is said to be GayDM tite yo.

http://www.timeattackforums.com/foru...ack-build.html How it's properly done.

Last edited by terrasmak; 03-24-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 AM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe this is what you're talking about right? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Asuka...Q5fAccessories

I personally dont really care for it and held on by double sided tape really??
Old 03-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Typically when you buy and install a carbon roof, you do it to save weight. I know the latest trend with the little ricers is to just slap stick on carbon crap everywhere on there car, but what does that do , just add weight and look lame. How would paint defeat the puspose, the purpose of the roof is to shed weight, painting it when the job is complete just protects your investment. Paint also keeps you from having the mismatched build from the junkyard look, even though that lookit is said to be GayDM tite yo.

um. yea. easier said than done. roof on a non reinforced car (i.e. non roll caged) offers structural integrity.. that Acura has a full cage with A and B pillar gussets to prevent frame flex and stiffen it up.. at that point, the roof just prevents wind from getting to the driver... to cut the roof and adhere a carbon overlay would be fine at that point.

i dont recommend cutting your roof off for a carbon overlay unless you plan on doing some reinforcement... a car with a sun roof already flexs alot.. no roof and gluing on an overlay is just asking for trouble
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like someone has carbon fiber envy....

Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM
BoomerZ33

pics of it? i'll buy it if you don't want it. very serious! pm me
Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 AM
BoomerZ33

don't compare Z owners to the honda ricer crowd man. thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 AM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I take it you're not too fond of carbon fiber exteriors or any other exterior mods?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33

don't compare Z owners to the honda ricer crowd man. thanks
If you click the link you will see a properly build honda showing the Z ricer crowd how to intall a CF roof. Mismatched body panels = rice , but you may be the envy of the Honda kids.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:22 PM
User 42426

So far only one person has actually answered my question. I still don't know if I want to keep it or not. I don't care about weight savings, or functionality; im never going to track my car, its just a dd. I'm just asking if owners would have liked using that money for something else, or if they think its money well spent. I guess ill have to lay it on the roof and judge for myself and see if I like it or not.
Or, I could sell it, and order a bunch of illest,sickest,dumbest and fatest stickers and slap it all over my car. Prob punch a few holes in my exhaust to make it sound louder. iono. Since im a ricer.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 AM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't install it!!!!!

Sell it to me!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:58 AM
350Eazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one installed on my car, and there is no way I would ever take it off. I did screw it down under the A pillars because I am not a big fan of 3mm tape. I love the looks it gets and how many people want the piece. If you have one, you are a lucky man because Asuka isn't making anymore.

Quick Reply: Do you regret installing your asuka double hump roof?