Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Hook Relocation For Aerosync Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:30 PM
=Cerberus=

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Hook Relocation For Aerosync Bumper

So this all started out when I bought my Aerosync front bumper. After putting it on, I found out that I could not use the factory tow hook with out drilling a very obnoxious looking hole in my brand new bumper. So after much thought I came up with the following solution to regain the OEM tow hook, and also my front plate mounting solution.

I semi apologize for the low quality. I did not feel like bring the DSLR out into the garage.

So first this was my problem, as you can see, the OEM tow look location is just to high, and would require massive cutting/gouging of the bumper for use. Upon reviewing the pics, it is not so obvious, but trust me, it would have looked crappy.

So I did not want to just buy a huge hunk of aluminum and re do the mounting surface, so I turned to Mcmastercarr.com and got some 1/4" wall aluminum round stock (.75 ID) and 1.5"x3" 1/4" wall rectangular tubing. I also picked up a M22x2.5 tap so I could tap the tube to the tow hook thread pitch.

I brought the tube into work and with the help of a friend in the machine shop, cut to length and tapped the section of round tubing required.

I should have brought in the rectangle tube and cut the fish mouth on the bridgeports, but I thought I could do it at home. I did do it at home, but my perfectionism was not there, although it got the job done.

After boring the whole, I cut off the excess to provide a natural fillet to fill with weld.

Then my Dad welded it up.

The next step was to cut off the existing tow hook block of aluminum. A grinder with a cut off wheel made quick work of it.

Next I cut the excess rectangular tube away, and my dad welded the new tow hook bracket to the bottom of the crash bar.

The rest was just remounting the bumper, and fender liners so I could mark and drill a whole through the Aerosync front bumper for the tow hook to thread into.

Now I can use my tow hook as required, and I have also drilled and tapped a M22x2.5 bolt so I can mount my front plate without drilling wholes in the bumper.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:48 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good work.

Have you tested to see if it will hold 3,000 pounds? Hate to see a cable with a hook at the end flying through the air and hit you in the head.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:51 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Good work.

Have you tested to see if it will hold 3,000 pounds? Hate to see a cable with a hook at the end flying through the air and hit you in the head.
That would be unpleasant. I can only imagine the "Oh, shit" look on my face if that happened to me.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:57 PM
=Cerberus=

Originally Posted by davidv
Good work.

I don't normally stand in the bite of the line, so I think i would be alright. I have not tested it though, and if all goes well I never will have to, but I know it is there just in case.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Saudi

well, its not always the guy standing in the way... we had a really bad accident with a tow truck in South Dakota... driver was in the tow truck pulling a car out of the ditch, cable snapped, and shot the tow hook/rest of the cable through the back window of the tow truck... the driver didn't make it... and it was a closed casket funeral...

Awesome idea, as i have the aerosync now, and have no access to the tow hook... but, like the other guys have mentioned, make sure it's up for the job!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice fab work... if it were me i would have just modified the bumper though.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Czarrr

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
That would be unpleasant. I can only imagine the "Oh, shit" look on my face if that happened to me.
+1 Haha. That's exactly what I said in my mind.
+2 Creative way to bypass the censorship.