Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

those looking to purchase 06+ headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^I'm still captain skeptical as well, $801 is not that much of a deal from how much you can find them used in the marketplace.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Waizzz
^I'm still captain skeptical as well, $801 is not that much of a deal from how much you can find them used in the marketplace.
the best deal on used 06+ headlights that were in actual good condition was 900 shipped.. then again i've only been on the forums for about 4 months.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly. To me, the price differential between OEM and aftermarket isn't significantly different. Don't get me wrong, the aftermarket ones will probably perform well (at least I would hope), but I'd rather stick with the originals. Having said that, if they were in the $300-range for the SET, then I'd have to reconsider.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
the best deal on used 06+ headlights that were in actual good condition was 900 shipped.. then again i've only been on the forums for about 4 months.
I knew someone who was selling a set locally for $700.

I found my matte black painted versions also for a really good deal so it's worth it to wait, believe me.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Bmurray350z

I knew someone who was selling a set locally for $700.

I found my matte black painted versions also for a really good deal so it's worth it to wait, believe me.
Ha well I guess so. Still these are a great alternative IMO.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 PM
gregom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Would be nice if the eBay ones (from americanmotorparts) were OEM. Still skeptical, I sent a message to the seller (americanmotorparts):

Response from americanmotorparts:

So, I'm not saying that those who got it from this seller (that claim they are actual OE Nissan parts) are bluffing, but the seller is clearly stating that they are aftermarket. Also, a little bit of research leads me to believe these lights might be manufactured by TYC. It's possible that they used to send out OE Nissan parts, but now they use aftermarket.

Take it for what it's worth.

Hmm... that is concerning... However I've spent several minutes looking over every detail of my headlamps I bought from them very closely, and they look genuine. If they aren't, they are extremely well done. There is NISSAN clearly displayed in perspex, along with a few other words like KOITO and such which I remember seeing on my 04 headlamps. I think these are the real deal, at least the set I got probably are. However most people here are looking at some weird smoked set they have on their site, I got the standard OEM looking ones. And again, as far as I can tell, they are genuine OEM. And i'm am incredibly picky when it comes to this sort of thing.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:43 AM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregom
Hmm... that is concerning... However I've spent several minutes looking over every detail of my headlamps I bought from them very closely, and they look genuine. If they aren't, they are extremely well done. There is NISSAN clearly displayed in perspex, along with a few other words like KOITO and such which I remember seeing on my 04 headlamps. I think these are the real deal, at least the set I got probably are. However most people here are looking at some weird smoked set they have on their site, I got the standard OEM looking ones. And again, as far as I can tell, they are genuine OEM. And i'm am incredibly picky when it comes to this sort of thing.
If they work/fit fine, and you're happy with them, then I wouldn't worry about it. As I mentioned before, it's very possible they started off by sending OEM units, and then switched over to aftermarket. Both you and Classy claim that you have OEM units, so I'll go ahead and believe that.

And the fact that they have OEM marking on the lights themselves (KOITO, etc.) is more re-assuring. I wonder if you can possible compare them to someone that has factory OEM 06+ headlights for further validation?

Last edited by BhashaZ; 08-18-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
If they work/fit fine, and you're happy with them, then I wouldn't worry about it. As I mentioned before, it's very possible they started off by sending OEM units, and then switched over to aftermarket. Both you and Classy claim that you have OEM units, so I'll go ahead and believe that.

And the fact that they have OEM marking on the lights themselves (KOITO, etc.) is more re-assuring. I wonder if you can possible compare them to someone that has factory OEM 06+ headlights for further validation?
Yeah who knows what these ebay stores do... but I still seriously doubt anyone is making aftermarket units that look the same as the 06+ design. Maybe i'm wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

I'll try to find a buddy in our Z club here in town one of these days and compare the headlamps.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 PM
RedlineRedZ33

so to swap these over to a base model 2003, what exactly needs to be bought? I know that the harness is different from OEM non-HID to OEM HID, is it possible for me to just buy a D2S aftermarket HID kit that has D2S bulbs and hook that up to my 2003 non-HID wiring, and then put the D2S bulb in these headlight assemblies and be done with it? I realize that I'm not going to be getting OEM quality with these taiwanese HID kits, but to me it seems to be the most economical solution. My only concern is whether or not the aftermarket D2S bulb will fit in these housings AND plug in to the base model 2003 wiring harness.

Edit: Something like this going from the OEM non-HID wiring and placing the D2S bulbs in the 06+ housings.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-D1SR-35W

Last edited by RedlineRedZ33; 09-20-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Itzcashew

SO....how do they hold up? I know they look good but are they lasting? Discoloration, glare, etc.? The tailight glitch made me not want to get anything that isnt OEM...so idk. Im torn between these and a used set on the market place.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by RedlineRedZ33
so to swap these over to a base model 2003, what exactly needs to be bought? I know that the harness is different from OEM non-HID to OEM HID, is it possible for me to just buy a D2S aftermarket HID kit that has D2S bulbs and hook that up to my 2003 non-HID wiring, and then put the D2S bulb in these headlight assemblies and be done with it? I realize that I'm not going to be getting OEM quality with these taiwanese HID kits, but to me it seems to be the most economical solution. My only concern is whether or not the aftermarket D2S bulb will fit in these housings AND plug in to the base model 2003 wiring harness.

Edit: Something like this going from the OEM non-HID wiring and placing the D2S bulbs in the 06+ housings.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-D1SR-35W
Which set of headlamps are you looking at getting?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

I have had mine on for a I want to say 2 months, everything is perfect still.

For a base model, I can't really say, I don't want to put my foot in my mouth and be wrong about something. IF it is wired the same as every other 350z, you would need to buy the CONTROL UNIT-XENON HEAD LAMP (from courtesy nissan's website) and maybe an O-ring or something but like I said, I don't know from experience

I am with gregom, Came in Nissan Boxes, had nissan on the head lamps, was high quality, fit perfect, worked perfect and look perfect. If they are fake (I doubt it) they are a damn good fake
Old 09-25-2011, 11:03 PM
RedlineRedZ33

Originally Posted by gregom
Which set of headlamps are you looking at getting?
I want to get that set of ebay "replica" 06+ headlights. I just want to know what exactly is missing from that set that I might need. I know theres a tutorial on how to retrofit the 06+ hid lights to a base 03, but i'm not sure if I would need the wiring harness inside the headlight etc. What exactly did you guys need to swap over from your old headlamps? Wiring harness, HID ballast, bulb etc? what exactly did these 06+ "replica lamps" come with, or were they just literally the housing with no wiring etc?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Classy

I literately said what you have to buy and what you have to do earlier in this thread...
Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Bmurray350z

lol..
Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 PM
RedlineRedZ33

Originally Posted by Classy
I literately said what you have to buy and what you have to do earlier in this thread...
you didn't say whether or not the headlight came with the wiring harness inside of it. you just said "thingy on the top", which I can only conclude meant "wiring harness", but I wasn't sure, which is why I was asking the question. when you take them out of the wrapper, they are missing the ballast, the D2S bulb, and the rear cover, right? you didn't have to transfer over the wiring harness from your 2003 headlights?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:29 AM
Classy

I am not going to respond to this, you seem kinda "special"...
Old 09-30-2011, 12:22 AM
RedlineRedZ33

Edit: Wow, stupid question. I looked the thread over and figured out the answer to my questions. Carry on.

Last edited by RedlineRedZ33; 09-30-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:40 PM
dr_gallup

So why use 2006 headlights in a 2003? Just to get HID high beams?

My lens covers are hazed almost beyond saving, thought I look for cheaper replacements than OE. I can get a pair for $225. Seems like a good deal to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-05...item4842443638
Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 AM
ShadowLTDS

Alright, so I'm looking to buy a set of these (from different seller: Xcessmotors). As long as everything is the same as the ones that the people purchased from AmericanMotorSports I should only need 2 new bulbs and the rear covers, correct? I have been searching for the rear covers and I'm not sure what part number they are on the courtesyparts.com site. A link would be nice. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: those looking to purchase 06+ headlights...