Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Cipher Auto Racing Seats Review!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012 | 05:32 PM
DjTyfightr

updates?
Old 02-25-2012 | 05:41 PM
joepro

Car is stored for the winter...its been mild so hopefully it will be out soon.

Joe
Old 02-26-2012 | 04:55 PM
BoomerZ33

seats look good. not bad at all.
Old 02-27-2012 | 10:15 AM
Goble

I just installed a set of Cyphers last week and I love them! No comparison to the stockers. Seem to be built really well and feel very solid. I don't think they can be beat for the money!
Old 03-06-2012 | 03:52 PM
FliPPER_Z

are you selling the old seats?
Old 03-24-2012 | 09:19 PM
joepro

UPDATE!!! 3/25/12

I have put about 2k miles on these so far, mainly the drivers seat(I am a lonely individual..thats for another day!) and I will report that the seat itself is holding up nicely, no real signs that anything is going to rip tear or what not...HOWEVER I have confirmed and believe the sliders, specifically the locks to be 100% trash...now maybe you lighter guys will not have a problem but it does not lock "solid"anymore and it is getting worse. For now I installed a support from the seat to the bracket. i will most likely be buying a double locking slider somewhere for the drivers seat and that will make things about perfect.

Comfort wise even with my big butt, its not bad, after about and 1.5 hrs tho it was time for a stretch, but I had that that with the stock units to be honest. It is also important to watch your posture, slouching or sitting sideways or what no will result in back pain, these were designed to sit you in a certain way, and they do that!

One of my buddies when for a ride a few days ago and his comment was they do not feel any more uncomfortable than your stock seats...he is more of an average size, 5 11" 150 ish Id say.

anyway, still happy with the decision, now that that is over its time to start saving for boost, I need more power!

that is it for now!

Last edited by joepro; 03-24-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2012 | 06:59 PM
QuintonC

I've really been looking at this thread a lot, and it's extremely helpful. I plan on changing my seats after I get my tires and coils. After seeing this, I changed to look at Cipher seats, and have decided to get these. I'm not sure exactly if I want to get these ones, which are the CPA1019's or the CPA1016's. The 16's actually are 1 inch wider across the top and that worries me a bit. Let me know how much clearance you have if you would, please.

Thanks, and great review and install.
Old 03-26-2012 | 07:24 PM
joepro

Those should be fine, I dig the 19's but they were out of stock for a few months when I bough the 13's which are listed as .5 inches wider than the 16s. I am really digging the new 2004 model, just not the price tag for the seats alone, but they look like the real deal, if I had cash to burn I would try those for sure!
Old 03-30-2012 | 09:39 AM
JonBell

I am about to buy the 2004's, all red. Super stoked about them. However I am kinda worried it may be a tight squeeze in the car. Because yours look to be real close on the shoulder area and those ones are a little wider.
Old 06-29-2012 | 11:07 AM
TheWoods

Hey guys, I just bought the 101s ill let you know it turns out!
Old 06-30-2012 | 08:15 AM
QuintonC

Any updates, Joe?
Old 07-05-2012 | 06:23 PM
joepro

As a matter of fact yes...I did experience a problem with the driver seat, something internal broke and there was a knocking noise in the seat when I when around bends and it just did not feel right. I informed Cipher of the issue and got the standard "we have have never seen that before". I figured here we go, however I was informed the frames and brackets have a lifetime defect warranty.

The issue now not became replacing the broken seat bottom, they had no issue with that at all, but it was not in stock. After a follow up email they informed me that the suede 1013s were no longer being produced and were unable to get one. They have since offered to replace the pair of seats with another set of 1013s of my choosing!

Their service has been top notch, cannot say enough about them, until that point the seats had been fantastic. One more important observation:

After reading around the net , and looking at my original review,I had mentioned the play or little give I felt in the seat backs, I though at first it was the sliders(which I still would buy double locking from another manufacture) but the fact is that the seat back is only actually attached by the mechanism on one side and the other side is a pivot, but allows the quick release and folding of the seat.

I has them replace the drivers seat only with the type 2 crank adjust because it connects the back on both sides, and WOW it is solid now, that play I felt before is GONE. If you need the seat to fold up, this is not an option, but in the Z it is perfect for the drivers side since it still slides and the standand for the passenger so one can still get in the glove box.

I was not happy to have a seat issue, but I understand things break, I bet if we searched the net we can find broken sparcos and recaros as well, but the team a Cipher handled it well and with 0 issues, not one did they try to avoid fixing the issue.

Those new 2004s look awesome, I plan on moving to a 370 within the next year and those look like a great candidate!

Last edited by joepro; 07-05-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2012 | 04:49 PM
QuintonC

Sounds like an excellent review, Joe. Thanks so much, I plan on getting these within the next 6 months or so. Good to know that they helped you with everything and were no hassle! Will definitely be giving them my business

Just out of curiosity, what models do you have now? Drive and Passenger?
Old 10-30-2013 | 08:19 PM
BToay

Do you think these will fit in a 2013 WRX Limited Hatchback? I like the look i just dont want to get ripped off with seats again
Old 10-30-2013 | 09:51 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by joepro
SNIP . . .

After reading around the net , and looking at my original review,I had mentioned the play or little give I felt in the seat backs, I though at first it was the sliders(which I still would buy double locking from another manufacture) but the fact is that the seat back is only actually attached by the mechanism on one side and the other side is a pivot, but allows the quick release and folding of the seat.

SNIP . . .
Sorry, but that sounds like a major safety issue. OEM seats are severely tested to not have their backs collapse in front or rear-end collisions, and if the back pivots/lock mechanism is that weak on the Cipher's, they're not something I'd ever want to deal with. Safe aftermarket seats, especially the German-made, also must adhere to strict (TUV) standards, as do the higher-end Japanese-made (JIS), and I'd never buy a seat without that sort of certification. Seats are just as important a safety item as brakes, wheels/tires, belts, a helmet, etc.
Old 11-01-2013 | 01:07 PM
dcains

I can read. Worthless, unless you think an Elephant might slip into your $199 seat. And even if, do you think those seats would truly support 20X their rated weight without breaking? The OP weighs 245 pounds, and he describes the looseness/weak design in the seat, the back pivot, and the rails.

Finally, static loading means nothing compared to the dynamic loading which occurs in a crash. These seats are a head/neck/spine trauma waiting to happen.