Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Debadging goes wrong! xD

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:08 PM
TheCanuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
so those emblems were superglued on and you use Goo Gone to Remove SuperGlue ?
I guess this is more about the glue than the technique. The glue I used came off after days of going at it.

Good luck and be patient before you do something that will cost you cash. Or get a carbon fiber hatch.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL at whoever said claybar.

superglue can be taken off with a magic eraser. ive done so on a customers car. just be careful
Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 PM
tquill

Kerosene works pretty well at getting off glue crud... but I'm not so sure about super glue.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Blck350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, I run a sign shop in Harrisburg. We have glue remover etc.... stop by the shop and i'll try it out. It is clear coat safe
Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
MapleSyrup

I have now dumped an entire bottle of goo gone on it that stuff and it isnt budging. Im just gonna get a new set of badges to put on the back tomorrow from the dealership for free. I've debadged 3 cars to date (not counting this fail attempt) and none of them had anything like this under the decals.

Id rather have decals than that nonsense! Im about to put a "baby on board" bumper sticker over it.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Guilty1s

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

magic eraser.... true story
Old 10-18-2011, 04:55 PM
JCITY
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MapleSyrup
I have now dumped an entire bottle of goo gone on it that stuff and it isnt budging. Im just gonna get a new set of badges to put on the back tomorrow from the dealership for free. I've debadged 3 cars to date (not counting this fail attempt) and none of them had anything like this under the decals.

Id rather have decals than that nonsense! Im about to put a "baby on board" bumper sticker over it.

3-M GENERAL PURPOSE ADHESIVE REMOVER.
You can get at auto body/paint supply stores.
Comes in a pint can.Saturate a cloth,sponge onto the gunk.
It takes awhile.You have to go through the layers.
I've never had a situation when this stuff did not work.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:50 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I see a lot of suggestions being thrown out, but it must be from people who didn't read the original post. The badges were not stuck on with the normal emblem tape so Goo Gone, 3M Adhesive remover, glue remover, etc. will not help.

Superglue, aka cyanoacrylate, dries hard as a rock and permanant for all practical purposes. The normal methods of removal will also take the paint off of the car (also something hard and permanant). Acetone is the only sure-fire way to remove it. There are some products sold to "debond" it but in all likelyhood, it's acetone based and will be destructive to your paint.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine had that left over **** left on it too... just heated it up with a hairdryer for a while, then used my finger to, like push it off...

**edit: just read dave's post... NVM not sure good luck!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 AM
Fugotti

Many suggestions of how to remove the glue, why not just light the hatch on fire and see what the outcome is.... Seriously, does anyone else see the damage already done to the paint/clear??? Re-badging the car is the only fix without body shop repair...
Old 10-19-2011, 07:01 AM
MapleSyrup

Ya guys its defintely not the usual adhesive used for emblems, Heat wont work, goo gone wont work, and i tried nail polish remover on a q-tip making sure not to touch my paint and that isnt working either. Just gonna cover them up with new badges for now.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:57 AM
Done Deal DR

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I see a lot of suggestions being thrown out, but it must be from people who didn't read the original post. The badges were not stuck on with the normal emblem tape so Goo Gone, 3M Adhesive remover, glue remover, etc. will not help.

Superglue, aka cyanoacrylate, dries hard as a rock and permanant for all practical purposes. The normal methods of removal will also take the paint off of the car (also something hard and permanant). Acetone is the only sure-fire way to remove it. There are some products sold to "debond" it but in all likelyhood, it's acetone based and will be destructive to your paint.
+1

I was reading through the posts and just laughing. 90% of posts suggested the OP keep doing what he already had been doing, when he clearly said in the OP that he's already had experience debadging cars and that this was not typical adhesive that is used but rather superglue...and that the normal methods didn't even touch it.

I also agree that anything strong to remove superglue, mainly Acetone, will also eat away the paint in quick order. It's worth a shot, but just know there is a good chance you will have to have your hatch painted (as KornerKarver pointed out) afterwards. You can already see that under the "5" badge paint was pulled up, so it has zero chance of being perfect without a repaint. Even putting badges back on isn't going to be easy, since the raised lips of the superglue will affect mounting new badges.

Last edited by Done Deal DR; 10-20-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:32 AM
RandyK1

You need to go find a hobby store that sells RC airplane stuff and get a bottle of CA remover. This stuff is made to take off super glue type glue. Put some on a rag and let it sit on the spot your working on for a bit and the glue will wipe off. You might have to do it a few times depending on how thick the glue was put on. I fly RC planes and I use this stuff all the time and it works great!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 AM
07JimmyZ

you need Acrysol, I've used it many times on painted surfaces without any issues. Including super glue
Old 04-27-2012, 04:51 AM
xman2yman

wd40
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by 07JimmyZ
you need Acrysol, I've used it many times on painted surfaces without any issues. Including super glue
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the one and only correct answer in this thread. Amazing how many posters can't read, and/or post answers not based on any real knowledge or experience.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Steve-O Z33

Soak a sponge in acetone. Put a dry sponge or paper over it and tape it to the car for an hour. See the progress and repeat as necessary.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:32 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I hope the OP resolved this issue since this was posted back in 10/2011. I guess it could help someone who has a similar issue.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 AM
spiralfunk

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
I hope the OP resolved this issue since this was posted back in 10/2011. I guess it could help someone who has a similar issue.
If he were still using goo gone he would be about half way done by now. Primarily thanks to the abrasive might of his terry cloth towel.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Suwaidi

I used Goo Gone a few times, then used a scratch remover to remove anything small. Not a single mark left

Quick Reply: When Debadging goes wrong! xD