Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I shaved the firewall with pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:35 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MUZZY
Unless you are completly relocation all those systems under the 2 compartments, I dont understand why you would remove them to make the engine bay uglier then it already is.
well I did relocate them both, mostly. The entire battery compartment was emptied, the IPDM is not in the cab, the Battery is in the back, and the Fuse panel is gone.

The brake side of things is going away, currently on a manual master cylinder and pushing through the ABS valve (for proportioning), in all hopes I will be migrating to a dual circuit manual master cylinder with proportioning valves and a push bar.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by Chebosto
well a strut bar main purpose is to connect the top of the two suspenion mounting areas in the the front of the chassis and prevent them from twisting during weight transfer that happen during turning.

not sure if the main intention was to use the engine as the third point an a strut bar design, since the engine moves alot during driving, and itself is on a non-rigid mount (unless he went to a solid mount) so i dont think it's meant to be a strut bar replacement, but rather an engine brace.. (i think?)

imho, i would still fab up a bar that goes above it to link the two strut towers for a legit brace..
As I stated earlier, (few minutes ago) I have not been able to determine a benefit to a strut tower brace with these cars. I can run the exact same lap times with or without a strut brace, but I also have solid motor mounts and solid tranny mount and solid diff mounts. so the front fork of the unibody is fairly solid. the upper mounts/brace IMO is more aesthetic and a conversation piece than anything.

I do carry an extra lower intake manifold, and upper/lower plenum to the track just in case I am wrong.

Also make a 2 point brace doesn't make sense to me, but I am an electrical engineer and not a mechanical Engineer. But I remember 2 points make a line and three points make a plane.

If you only have two points for strut braces; then if you put harsh upward force on one strut then some of that force is going to get transmitted to downforce onto the other tire. I'm not entirely sure I want to shock a tire that already, presumably, is loaded.

I just went for a statically stiffer chassis setup with the solid mounts, the upper brace is just eye candy, IMO and representative in my data.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:48 AM
2bad240

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I gotta quit looking at this. I want to cut my car up now. If i could get down to 2700 with cage it would be crazy
Old 06-15-2012, 06:43 AM
DaveSB

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The car is fast.... and crazy loud! Besides feeling every bump in the road and needing to smash the brake pedal just to slow down a little... I absolutely love it, and 2bad240, I have a hard time not chopping my car up more then it already is... however, I still like to drive mine on the street.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Bryan, car was looking great at Zdayz and excited to see it cleaned up even more with your new Haltech!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightning Guy
Also make a 2 point brace doesn't make sense to me, but I am an electrical engineer and not a mechanical Engineer. But I remember 2 points make a line and three points make a plane.

If you only have two points for strut braces; then if you put harsh upward force on one strut then some of that force is going to get transmitted to downforce onto the other tire. I'm not entirely sure I want to shock a tire that already, presumably, is loaded.

i dont think it's a shock to the other side, since preventing frame twist/flex between to sides of the frame would better. what you claim as just "two" points, if you take an imaginary slice through the car, where the two strut towers are, the bottom are already connected via the lower control arms, however the top struts and top of frame are unconnected, so its like a "U" ... when you put the strut brace over the two towers, you complete a box, which creates a more solid structure. the forces acting on the other loaded tire, you say, is already being transfering into the frame, causing flex, then causing the need for more driver input when the rest of the chassis is reacting to the rest of the forces.

as far a "three point" structure, techically what you have is still two points imho for the strut towers connecting to each other, since a real third point would be the back of the original fire wall area near the windshield to prevent the entire engine bay area from flexing upward and creating a true triangle structure.

even with your solid engine mounts, i would say watch those mount points simply due to the material of the hardware used and what it's bolted into. maybe you should talk to a mechanical engineer...
Old 06-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by Chebosto
i dont think it's a shock to the other side, since preventing frame twist/flex between to sides of the frame would better. what you claim as just "two" points, if you take an imaginary slice through the car, where the two strut towers are, the bottom are already connected via the lower control arms, however the top struts and top of frame are unconnected, so its like a "U" ... when you put the strut brace over the two towers, you complete a box, which creates a more solid structure. the forces acting on the other loaded tire, you say, is already being transfering into the frame, causing flex, then causing the need for more driver input when the rest of the chassis is reacting to the rest of the forces.

as far a "three point" structure, techically what you have is still two points imho for the strut towers connecting to each other, since a real third point would be the back of the original fire wall area near the windshield to prevent the entire engine bay area from flexing upward and creating a true triangle structure.

even with your solid engine mounts, i would say watch those mount points simply due to the material of the hardware used and what it's bolted into. maybe you should talk to a mechanical engineer...
Dude, we can just agree to disagree and I'm good with that. As I stated earlier my lap times do not vary with or without a strut brace. IMO the whole nonsense is snake oil.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Lightning Guy

Well update from the shake down.

everything went fairly well, the manual brakes take some getting used to.

no major drama, other than she cut off on me on a hot lap, the pushed the clutch in and she died. she didn't want to restart, so she got back on the trailer, We'll tear into her next week.

Prolly something simple like crank angle or whatnot. But instructing and running Grid doesn't leave a lot of time to work on a car for me.

I'll be rocking the Yaris tomorrow
Old 06-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Track duty for the Yaris again? lol
Old 06-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by russ713
Track duty for the Yaris again? lol
LOL, I'm telling ya, if the Z wasn't so far down that road I would srsly have a yaris track car. not that it is that good or anything, it is just fun. SO much understeer, so little power, it really is a good teaching tool. only one way to be quick in a yaris, many ways to be slow.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:42 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to find the time to re corner balance it, but its in the low 2700s or high 2600s.
details por favor.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL, I'm telling ya, if the Z wasn't so far down that road I would srsly have a yaris track car. not that it is that good or anything, it is just fun. SO much understeer, so little power, it really is a good teaching tool. only one way to be quick in a yaris, many ways to be slow.

3 wheels of blazing fury!

Wheel 4 is optional for sissies.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Lightning Guy

Originally Posted by bbs350z
details por favor.
I'm taking her back to the shop today, I'll see if we can get her corner balanced soon.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:06 AM
Lightning Guy

A buddy of mine shot a few pics this weekend at the track

I ran a 1:50.x on my shake down session, which is only about 1.5 seconds off my personal best.

Getting used to the manual brakes was a challenge. I do like them, but I am going to investigate other options for master cylinders. something that takes slightly less pressure, i did find that i was on the brakes longer because I was not able to woah the car down as good as I could before, but again this was a shake down session.

the power from the cams was NICE, the few times I took it all the way to 7300. No fueling issues what so ever with the new system, kept great fuel pressure all the time.

Power steering was drama free, except for a slight seeping of fluid from one fitting, not even a drip just a seep, easy to fix.

looking forward to removing more ABS/VDC stuff from the car, thats a lot of wiring and a LOT of power, the fuse for the ABS pump is a 60A, the VDC computer has a 40A fuse, and so on. I'll be able to reduce down to a single fuse block soon.