Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched Interior Window Swtich

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:04 PM
norrix420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched Interior Window Swtich

I've had my 350z for about three weeks and i have already scratched it majorly tonight with my laptop bag getting out of the car after work on the door. What do you all think is the easiest way to fix this? I have attached pictures to help better explain.

Travis
Attached Thumbnails Scratched Interior Window Swtich-image-4-.jpeg   Scratched Interior Window Swtich-image-3-.jpeg  
Old 06-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Jbakes727

People sell the passenger window switch housing's all the time in the market place. They're pretty easy to switch out and they're usually sold for around $20-$40. Check it out https://my350z.com/forum/interior-418/
Old 06-13-2013, 05:48 PM
norrix420

ok thanks. so the best way would be to just replace the entire plastic piece?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:05 PM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by norrix420
ok thanks. so the best way would be to just replace the entire plastic piece?
Here's what to do. Remove the plastic piece. Lightly buff out the paint and scratches with 800 grit or so sandpaper. Buy a can of Duplicolor "Black Trim Paint" in a rattle can and mist on a few light coats letting them dry in between. Color is nearly identical and it will hold up better as well. Dont spray it on too heavily otherwise it will craze the rubberized paint and look like fubar.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 PM
norrix420

this sounds like a good little project. There a place i can find instructions how to remove this piece without braking it?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Jbakes727

Personally I would just replace it because then it will look identical to the driver side but it's up to you.

(found these instructions from another member) To remove it you'll need to remove the aluminum plate on the vertical handle. Do this very carefully with a small flat-head. It's just snapped in place. After you remove that piece, you'll need to remove 2 phillips (or 10mm) screws at the top and bottom of that piece. Then pull the whole handle out of the door. That will give you room to remove the passenger side window switch panel the same way as the driver's side.

You will, of course, need to disconnect the connectors from the switch panels once you've lifted them out of thier place.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:50 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can fix the door(its called door switch cover)by painting it.But,its gonna happen again if you keep doing stupid things like you did with your lap to bag.
Also,not everyone has the expertise to properly paint this part.A lousy
DIY'er will wind up with a greater mess!
What I would do is one of two things.Lets face it,some of use,due to our everyday
life,take things in&out of our cars.You need something more durable.I'd buy CF
covers to go over the switch panels.The Z STORE sells e'm.They are covered with a
pretty durable clearcoat.Look good too.Secondly,its a shame that the sides are
scratched.There are dash kit covers (CF too)that will cover the top surface.These
have a very tough poly coat.Very hard to scratch.You'd have to refinish the sides though as these cover just the top.You can buy the parts from CARID.com.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:26 AM
ChevChelios

Another option is a vinyl wrap like dinoc. Of course you'd have to wrap both sides, but it's inexpensive and has a nice finish.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 AM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCITY
You can fix the door(its called door switch cover)by painting it.But,its gonna happen again if you keep doing stupid things like you did with your lap to bag.
Also,not everyone has the expertise to properly paint this part.A lousy
DIY'er will wind up with a greater mess!
What I would do is one of two things.Lets face it,some of use,due to our everyday
life,take things in&out of our cars.You need something more durable.I'd buy CF
covers to go over the switch panels.The Z STORE sells e'm.They are covered with a
pretty durable clearcoat.Look good too.Secondly,its a shame that the sides are
scratched.There are dash kit covers (CF too)that will cover the top surface.These
have a very tough poly coat.Very hard to scratch.You'd have to refinish the sides though as these cover just the top.You can buy the parts from CARID.com.
Great I just bought a set of the switch covers since they look pretty sweet. Do they just install on top of the existing covers, or do you replace the pieces?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

They install on top with double-sided tape.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 AM
logan09

I used some matte black vinyl wrap and it's pretty close to the factory finish. More durable for sure
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 727FL350z
Personally I would just replace it because then it will look identical to the driver side but it's up to you.

(found these instructions from another member) To remove it you'll need to remove the aluminum plate on the vertical handle. Do this very carefully with a small flat-head. It's just snapped in place. After you remove that piece, you'll need to remove 2 phillips (or 10mm) screws at the top and bottom of that piece. Then pull the whole handle out of the door. That will give you room to remove the passenger side window switch panel the same way as the driver's side.

You will, of course, need to disconnect the connectors from the switch panels once you've lifted them out of thier place.
You also have to pull the arm rest piece first before pulling the switch cover.
The screws you remove as stated above are not the same length. Make sure you do not interchange them when you put them back
Old 06-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My driver-side swtich was really bad when I bought my Z so I replaced it from Courtesy Nissan

http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z-pa...5_846_857.html

It's called:
809 Front Door Trimming
Old 06-14-2013, 12:06 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Install on top

Originally Posted by bb17
Great I just bought a set of the switch covers since they look pretty sweet. Do they just install on top of the existing covers, or do you replace the pieces?
The covers are just that,covers.They should have 3-M tape pre-installed on the back.They will not come with directions.Clean your switch plate covers
thoroughly with rubbing alcohol.Test fit the CF covers.It a good idea to heat the tape a bit with a hair dryer or,place in the sun for a few minutes.Peel off the red backing and stck into place.Apply even pressure for about 30seconds.
Thats it.Its a good idea to put a coat of wax on the covers.They are clear
coated.But some good wax won't hurt.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:57 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to the craft department in the local Walmart, and buy a little jar of flat black acrylic paint and a small artist's brush with a flat end. Total cost is less than $2.

Remove any loose flakes, and clean the part. Carefully apply the paint around the switches and up to the surrounding surfaces, then paint the rest. Wash the brush with warm water.

The paint dries in a short time, and it usually doesn't show the brush strokes. It's a pretty close match for the original, and you can touch it up easily when needed.

For the cost and time involved, it's worth a try before undertaking removing the part for replacement or repainting with something that doesn't match nearly as well.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:25 PM
binary_viking

I did the same thing, black paint and clear coat is the way to go!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 PM
POS VETT

I use Plasti Dip on mine.