Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Housings Gone Bad : Someone Please Help !

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Webiteks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Black Housings Gone Bad : Someone Please Help !

As everyone probably already knows. . . I have had horrible problems with my black housings that were done by Android123.

Rather than going into detail. . . I will just post pictures of what they currently look like.

I know nothing about how to go in and take these housings apart to re-seal them. I have been trying to contact Android123 since the last week in december and he isn't getting back with me.

PLEASE! Is there anyone out there that is up for the task of helping me out? I'm desperate.

::RIGHT HOUSING::

::LEFT HOUSING::

I am starting to wonder if Android123 maybe changed his screen name on here to hide himself from this huge mistake? I don't know...all I know is that he said he would help me if there were any problems, and here it is. . almost 2 months later. . and I still can't get ahold of him.

Respectfully,
Chris
Old 01-29-2004, 12:08 PM
ranger5oh

I heard you need to bake them in the oven for like 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Dont quote me on the temperature, but I know for sure you need to bake them ... it might be more like 250 degrees. I dont want you to ruin em more from my advice though.... I know there was an old post about opening them. Ares or Bat might know too?
Old 01-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Webiteks

I cant take the chance by doing it myself. I need someone that knows what they are doing to be able to do this for me.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:16 PM
zeroday

honestly just bash the damn things in with a crow bar and claim it under comprehensive. either that or buy new ones. just chalk this up to experience. it's not worth the extended misery you are going through. pretty crappy that guy did that to you and just left you out on a limb though.

and no i wasnt serious about bashing in your headlamps wink wink

Last edited by zeroday; 01-29-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Webiteks

haha! You almost had me go get my crowbar!!!

To buy new ones will be $1,200. That's a hefty chunk of change for housings that were damaged by something I had no way to prevent.

I was thinking it would be cheaper to pay someone to just re-seal them PROPERLY - and save me $1,200
Old 01-29-2004, 12:49 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that S14 says he does that work(resealing. but the larger problem would be the distorted light output. dont know if he can do anything for that, but he'd know better than me.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:49 PM
ColecatZ

Originally posted by Webiteks
That's a hefty chunk of change for housings that were damaged by something I had no way to prevent.

I don't think that is a fair statement to make, it isn't like you woke up and this android123 cat had snuck into your garage and modded you headlamp assemblies while you slept quietly in your bed.

Now, that being said, I like to think that people research ideas, methodologies and possible issues and there resolutions prior to 1) doing a project like this and 2) even more so......letting someone else do it for them on their own car.

Don't missread what I'm trying to convey here, I want to help you. It sucks that you have been, or in all fairness, been made to feel left high and dry with this issue. I know how you feel about trying this on your own and you are wanting someone to fix it for you, but that skepticism is what got you here in the first place.......wanting someone to do it for you.

The baking method DOES work. This is the same method used for the 300zx taillenses.......get some Goo-Gone and some small prying tools like thin flat head screwdrivers. Place the assemblies over the oven between the oven door and the oven itself, effectively propping the oven door open with the light assembly the heat from the oven, at 300 degress, passing up past the housing will loosen the sealing goop around the edges. You should be able to tell when it's loose enough to work with prior to doing any damage to the housing itself. Slowly, and be patient, work the prying tool between the lens pieces and spray the goo gone in the sealed seem. You can work you way around the joint spraying, letting it sit for a few seconds and then gently prying. The junk is messy though so be prepaired.

Not sure yhat you have many options, besides to cowboy up and try it. You already said the new ones are 1200 dollars so I don't think you have much to lose. The lenses will likely clear up in the hot summer months, atleast until you wash the car.

Good luck, I hope this helps
Old 01-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Blue350zCali

I used to clear out my own headlights when I had a Civic and an Eclipse, I used a heat gun instead of an oven. My friend tried this and he touched his bulbs on accident. The oil on the bulbs created condenstation in the headlights. It looks like whoever did your headlights touched the bulbs with their fingers. Once you have condensation built up in your headlights you would have to completely dry them and make sure your bulbs have no oil on them. If you can take out the headlights and bulbs and use a blowdryer to make sure the housing is completely dry. Wipe the bulbs with acetone (nail polish remover) to make sure it is clean. Hopefully this helps you out.

Last edited by Blue350zCali; 01-29-2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Webiteks

Thanks for your method on how I can attempt this myself. May "cowboy it up" and see what I can do myself. I just don't have paitence with projects like this, that's why I sent them to someone that promised me they know what they were doing and that if there were any problems, they would fix it.

What my whole argument is, is that I sent my housings to someone that promised me everything would be fine. . . then as you can see from the pictures, they are obvisouly are not fine.

It really frustrates me that I have been trying to reach him since before christmas, and have not had one response back from him. I could add more fuel to the fire and go in detail about what has happened with my attempted contacts. . . but I rather leave it at this. I just wish Android123 would contact me, why should I have to personally deal with someones problem when that person told me that if there are any problems, he would help me out.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Webiteks

Thanks blue350z! I will keep everyone posted about how my venture into this project that I have no expertise or paitence with goes. :-)
Old 01-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Blue350zCali

It seems to me like he isnt going to help you out, if it has already been 2 months. Better trying to fix it yourself then waiting for someone who already messed up your headlights in the first place. Good luck and sorry you were put in this situation.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Webiteks

Thanks Blue350z. I think what I will do is buy new housings for a backup. . . put the new housings on my car so I can still drive it to work and not have to worry about being without a ride becuase I may mess up the housings during the re-sealing process.

Once "IF" I can get the black housings re-sealed properly, I will turnaround and re-sell my new housings I had to buy.

ICK! haha
Old 01-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Blue350zCali

Originally posted by ColecatZ
Not sure yhat you have many options, besides to cowboy up and try it. You already said the new ones are 1200 dollars so I don't think you have much to lose. The lenses will likely clear up in the hot summer months, atleast until you wash the car.

Good luck, I hope this helps
It doesnt look like it is a sealing issue, I'm pretty positive that it is oil on the bulbs. But if you do decide to take your housing apart, becareful. The sealant is really sticky and if you get it on the housing DO NOT try to wipe it off. Get acetone and wipe it off, it will come off easy. I learned this the hardway on my Civic, put some scratches on the chrome inside the housing.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Webiteks

Thanks again!

I know it's not the bulb becuase I just installed new 6000K Phillips bulbs last night and still doing that.

Again. . . remember that the only problem right now is all the moisture in my housings. . . the beam pattern is fine now.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Blue350zCali

Originally posted by Webiteks
Thanks again!

I know it's not the bulb becuase I just installed new 6000K Phillips bulbs last night and still doing that.

Again. . . remember that the only problem right now is all the moisture in my housings. . . the beam pattern is fine now.
It could also be the small bulb inside the headlights, remeber there are four bulbs in the housing. It could be anyone of those.
Attached Thumbnails Black Housings Gone Bad : Someone Please Help !-lefthousing.jpg  
Old 01-29-2004, 01:58 PM
ares
Veteran

oh, well thats good. did you figure out what was causing that?

I had to put back in my stock bulb(had a old old prototype turn signal in there, not bright enough) but I didnt really take any caution with touching it, and its gotta be plenty greasy. yet my housing has done nothing of the sort with the fogging.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Webiteks

I checked all those as well. . . .

I'm not sure if you know what my primary problem is. . .

I "used" to have a problem with my beam pattern. . . but that is fine now. The problem that was causing that issue was that my left HID Bulb and right HID Bulb just needed to be switched, and that solved that problem.

My PRIMARY problem right now is that both the left and right housings are fogged up and has moisture on the inside (assuming that it's just bad sealing)
Old 01-29-2004, 02:14 PM
MY350Z.COM

Android has not posted since December and is actively visiting the forums.

Android123 -->
Old 01-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Webiteks

Not only has he not posted. . . he hasn't returned any of my e-mails or voicemails I leave weekly since december.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:18 PM
BJF2K

hahaha... under cover

Quick Reply: Black Housings Gone Bad : Someone Please Help !