Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

license plate drilled holes to wide for a plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:07 PM
lumper1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default license plate drilled holes to wide for a plate?

Hi all, I went to mount my front plate after having my windows tinted and not wanting to invite a pull over, so I go get a nice frame, with a tinted plexi glass cover etc..
I go to mount it, the two holes drilled in my front bumper are very small, the screws are way to small in both diameter and length to hold a plate and frame on, so I figured ok, ill use spacers, but then there too short, etc.. in the end though, they are way to wide, for a standard plate.

What gives? is there a nissan bracket or something that mounts there and then a plate will mount to that?
I know whoever drilled it had a reason for drilling it like that, I just cant figure it out yet.
I just tinted my windows and although they look great I am a target now so I want to minimize the reasons or a road stop.

Any info would be great, thanks in advance
Lump
Old 05-20-2014, 04:11 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

there is a bracket that goes there.... go to bumperplugs.com and get some plugs for the factory places and then get the stillen license plate bracket
http://www.stillen.com/products/lic-...locator-99918/
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I have the Stillen bracket on my car, although I only put it on when I am going somewhere with harsh cops. I'm tinted around including the windshield and rocking no plate. I love how it looks, although I am sure I will pay for it one day.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:47 AM
818dbz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no plate here. been wanting to get the stillen bracket but when i look at my bumper i cant find where to tow hook attchment is
Old 05-21-2014, 09:47 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by 818dbz
no plate here. been wanting to get the stillen bracket but when i look at my bumper i cant find where to tow hook attchment is
right in middle of the bumper, there will be a little section that pulls out
Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 AM
818dbz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahh i c..ok i know what your talking bout.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 AM
SQuaLZ

Yes it is 2 clips. Literally takes me about 30 seconds to put my plate on. Pop 2 clicks, then screw on the bracket. Plus I think it looks a lot better than the bulky stock bracket.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:14 AM
travlee
Master

i agree, the only time i put mine on is when i have to go to court for a ticket
Old 05-22-2014, 04:47 AM
lumper1

Ok, so your saying fill the holes and use the grill spot where the tow hook goes right?
What about these two little holes though, why are they so far apart?

LOL yeah I am going to buy n 85$ license plate bracket, lol thats gonna happen, muhahahah are you kidding me?

Thats just stupid, sorry, my car isnt a show car, I already have two holes in the front bumper, I really dont mind, I just want to know why they are drilled so far apart, and they are way to wide for a standard plate.
I will go to the dealer today and ask them what they have for it.
I know a lot of guys think these Z's are garage queens and show cars, this is just my d.d. and a fun car to drive, not a prize or a show car, I dont even want to add a front plate but I know it will protect me, I have been pulled over once for it and it was before I tinted my windows.

How do you tint your windshield?

I would get busted here in CT in one ride if I did that, lol
I am not cheap, but cmon, 20$ is my limit for a license plate bracket, NOW, if I didnt have any holes pre drilled in my bumper then yes I would consider an 85$ bracket for the tow hook, but how stupid will that look when I already have two holes drilled?

Lump

Last edited by lumper1; 05-22-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:49 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by lumper1
Ok, so your saying fill the holes and use the grill spot where the tow hook goes right?
Lump
for the oem bracket that the license plate attaches to. if you get the stillen license plate holder, you can get these to plug the holes

http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...gory&path=1_11

Last edited by travlee; 05-22-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:47 AM
lumper1

travlee,
Thanks man
Lump
Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

LOL yeah I am going to buy n 85$ license plate bracket, lol thats gonna happen, muhahahah are you kidding me?

Thats just stupid, sorry, my car isnt a show car

I know a lot of guys think these Z's are garage queens and show cars
I don't have a front plate and my inspection sticker is 5 years expired...
Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 AM
SQuaLZ

Thats just stupid, sorry, my car isnt a show car, I already have two holes in the front bumper, I really dont mind, I just want to know why they are drilled so far apart, and they are way to wide for a standard plate.
I will go to the dealer today and ask them what they have for it.
I know a lot of guys think these Z's are garage queens and show cars, this is just my d.d. and a fun car to drive, not a prize or a show car, I dont even want to add a front plate but I know it will protect me, I have been pulled over once for it and it was before I tinted my windows.

How do you tint your windshield?

I would get busted here in CT in one ride if I did that, lol
I am not cheap, but cmon, 20$ is my limit for a license plate bracket, NOW, if I didnt have any holes pre drilled in my bumper then yes I would consider an 85$ bracket for the tow hook, but how stupid will that look when I already have two holes drilled?

Lump
Just because you don't want to dish out $85 doesn't mean I am stupid for doing it.

My car is a daily driver and occasionally race in autox events.

The Stillen bracket is a good solution to not permanently have a plate on the front of the car.

I am sure NY cops are just as bad as CT cops, if not worse when it comes to tinted windows. I just drive a lot with my windows down so most of the time you can't really tell the windshield is tinted. Knock on wood only been pulled over twice in the 4 years that is has been tinted and both times I was not given tickets because I was very courteous to the officers.

You can get bumper plugs for those holes.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 PM
lumper1

Squaz, I am sorry, I didnt mean it to come out that way, no I dont think you are stupid for anything, for me it would be stupid, I just dont need it or want it that badly, but no it is all relative, so please excuse my poor writing ability and I am sorry if I offended you.
Cops here suck as they do everywhere nothing personal, its just a shitty job to bust people for silly things like a plate or tint so they can hopefully find more things then get themselves a little bust or promotion, I just hate the intrusiveness of it, not he individual for doing it.
Anyway i was already pulled over once for it so I have to do something and I dont want to spend 90$ to do it, I dont even want the plate on the front, lol I just dont need the hassle. the last cop who pulled me over pissed me of and I let him know that and that never helps, lol so the more I can avoid some 25 yr old punk pulling me over to bust my nads the better.
I really was hoping to hear, yeah, those holes are standard and an oem bracket goes there so I Can just go buy one and be done with this is all.

Lump
Old 05-22-2014, 01:01 PM
lumper1

dealer says 29$ for the oem, comes with all the hardware to mount the plate, will be in Saturday and I didnt have to pay anything to order it, pretty sweet is you ask me.
I wish I had no drilled holes, and I can see where plugging them and doing the grill method would be cool if I had a clean bumper but I dont and I really dont want to block any air flow so I am going to go stock and oem, this isnt my forever ca, when I sell it i want it to be as stock as possible so for me to spend the 85$ just wasnt in the cards unless as I said my bumper was un-drilled then yes, I would have done that in a heart beat.
Its not cheap, hell on my Harley I was going to order a 300$ pate holder that hides itself as it worked well with the stretched fender it I was ordering at the time, it is just a matter of what I am working on at the time and what my needs are.
This time I just needed a simple and cheap easy fix.

Anyone else tint their windshields? I heard a guy say he tinted his windshield, I have seen cars that I swear must have but never new anyone who did it.
As it is I can barely see out side at night, lol I cant imagine a tinted windshield.

My ;luck is I get pulled over for anything and everything so if it is illegal I try to avoid it cause I know I will be pulled over at anytime and when I do I hope they dont scrape my tint off, if they do it is back to mr tint and another 180$ lol

Lump
Old 05-22-2014, 02:29 PM
SQuaLZ

No problem.

I love having my windshield tinted. In my opinion it completes the look on my car. A couple of my buddies have 35% on their windshield with 15% around. I have 50% on the windshield with 15% around. I think it is dark enough where it looks good but not too dark to make every cop notice. It also really depends on how it is outside. You don't even notice it when it is sunny, but it looks very dark in cloudy conditions.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:38 PM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
I don't have a front plate and my inspection sticker is 5 years expired...
When I lived in texas my sticker was 4 years old. Everytime I went on fort hood they gave me crap about it, but never got pulled over for it.