Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Veilside Urethane Problems....HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 08:41 PM
drew703

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by EddieJr
And yes I would be grateful if you could give me the name of the place you use.
D&V Auto body in Chantilly, VA
(sorry I dont have the address on me right now though)
It's about 10-15 min from the Route 50 West exit off 66 though.

The phone number is 703-478-9431

Ask for Kevin, tell him drew with the blue 350z referred you. I'd let him know the situation you're in, see what he thinks too. Again, they are very very good, and they do lots of import/aftermarket jobs as well. Like I said though, they are a bit pricey, but hey I figure if you're gonna be doing body work on a Z, it's worth it -- you do get what you pay for

Goodluck with everything again

-drew
Old 02-18-2004, 01:04 AM
EddieJr

SixRB6... I pre- fitted mine and it fit perfect, no trimming needed at all.

Drew703...Thanks, I work near Chantilly so I can drop it off to them.

Everyone thanks again for your input
Old 02-18-2004, 04:32 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lawyers

Originally posted by ares
I doubt they have a lawyer either, so it wouldnt be worth it to them to hire one, even if they KNEW and could prove it wasnt their fault, itd be cheaper to work with you.

talk to veilside first and see what they say, might call them and they say they had a bad batch and will send a replacment or something, who knows.
Just remembre, if they hire a lawyer that is probably going to cost them more than replacing your part. (depending on their terms with the lawyer). If they appeak to a higher court it will definietely cost them more than replacing the part.

Since you can file cheap, and represent your self cheap, you have VERY little to lose and much to gain. Just go in and explain to the judge exactly what happened.

I belive that it is reasonable to expect a paint professional to know how to handle a part without destroying it. I think a judge would agree.

As for a product defect, they would have to prove that. Surely they do not imagine that Veilside makes their own polyurethane! All they probably due is buy it and mold it.

My guess is that they overcooked it by accident. Any car part can reach 120F in the summer (unless you live WAY North.) Heck we have the occaisional 100 F day up here in CT. Add to that the sun and the hot parking lot and the body panels probably go WELL above 120F routinely.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Tim'sZ

I used Team 1 to paint my Stillen sideskirts and they absolutely refused to bake them, they let them sit overnight and cure at room temp. Mike told me that when you bake urethane that it can change the shape of the piece so they will not bake any urethane pieces.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baking the piece after painting doesn't actually make the paint stick better or look better...it just SPEEDS up the process of paint drying. That is the only reason they bake it. I like the idea of just having the shop cure it for 24hours at room-temp.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:11 AM
MSGarrett1

Originally posted by gq_model_626
Baking the piece after painting doesn't actually make the paint stick better or look better...it just SPEEDS up the process of paint drying. That is the only reason they bake it. I like the idea of just having the shop cure it for 24hours at room-temp.
Yes, and no. Most would agree that a professionally done paint job, will take multiple coats of paint. Say two coats of primer, two coats of color, and two coats of clear-coat. Yes, one may differ in the number of coats for any given layer, but let's say two for each. That's six coats of paint.

If you put a fresh coat of paint over a coat of paint that isn't completely dry yet, you can run into many problems. So, most automotive paint shops use an "oven" to achieve the best end result. I'm not saying you couldn't achieve the same results without the oven, but please tell me the shop that is going to do your project over 2 weeks, giving a day or two between coats for it to dry. Then, what if you're in a humid environment, it's rainy out, or cold . . . then the drying time without heating, can be multiple days. Now, it's taking a month to do the job right without the oven.