Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Veilside Urethane Problems....HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 06:43 AM
EddieJr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Veilside Urethane Problems....HELP!!

I took my urethane V1 spoiler to what is considered the best paint shop around. Well it seems to have warped severely. They put it in to bake the paint at 120 degrees F and it shrunk up.

Now the shop tells me its not they're fault, it's the manufacturers low quality. Also they won't replace it or give me my money back , stating "the box contained no special instructions from the manfacturer we bake all of our painted parts".

I know alot of members have this lip, did your shop "bake" it? Will Veilside even consider replacing it as a defect or will I need to go to small claims court for my money?

This totally sucks.....
Old 02-16-2004, 07:35 AM
zeroday

oh man that sucks. sorry to hear. i always assumed the urethane lip would be a safer move than cf or frp...maybe not. btw my urethane stillen wing was baked and it didn't warp.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:58 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

120degrees is not outlandish temps, and could be had on a sunny summer day in florida or texas. (surface temps on a black car)

Id guess either the shop turned the heat up a bit too high, or something is very wrong with veilsides material.

most urethane is baked to cure it, and often hotter than 120degrees.

something isnt right somewhere. cant hurt to try with veilside.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:25 AM
Wedge

ares is right. 120 degrees is not a high temperature. I would guess that the urethane that Veilside makes their lips from would be able to handle that temperature easily. It gets hotter than that regularly in places like Phoenix and Tucson. Contact Veilside and at the least they should be able to give you the temperature ranges recommended for their product.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Strife350z

120 C or 120 F?

120 C would be more than enough to melt it...

120 F on the other hand, and I'd say go through small claims... or at least threaten to and see the body shop's response
Old 02-16-2004, 01:08 PM
EddieJr

Thanks for everyone's input.

Just got back from the body shop they're still trying to lay it on Veilside. Ganged up on me 3 to 1. I made it clear that they knew it was aftermarket and still took on the job of painting it. If they had any reservations about it they should have been up front about it. Get to talk to the owner at some point on Tues.

Seems that small claims court may be the next logical step. But in Virginia if you sue a corporation in small claims they can have a lawyer represent them. Also if the defense losses they can appeal to the circuit court, which inturn means I will need a lawyer also... Retainer fee of about $1200 for a $500 claim from an economical standpoint is ridiculous...
Old 02-16-2004, 01:14 PM
ares
Veteran

I doubt they have a lawyer either, so it wouldnt be worth it to them to hire one, even if they KNEW and could prove it wasnt their fault, itd be cheaper to work with you.

talk to veilside first and see what they say, might call them and they say they had a bad batch and will send a replacment or something, who knows.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:14 PM
MSGarrett1

Holy crap, dood. I was considering the urethane Veilside V1 front lip and V1 rear under spoiler. I guess I'll hold off on that purchase. My opinion is that Veilside is totally responsible here. The product is meant to be painted with automotive quality paint. All good automotive paint is meant to be cured by heat in an oven. 120 degrees Fahrenheit is totally acceptable . . . not too hot at all.

Don't contact Veilside directly . . . you need to contact whichever company sold the product to you. I'm guessing/hoping it was Bulletproof automotive. They are a sponsor of this site. So you can call them discretely and ask for them to ship you a FRP version in exchange. If they refuse, tell them you will post this fact here, and then ask for them to be removed as a sponsor for lack of customer service.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:26 PM
ares
Veteran

wouldnt shy away from urethane yet if its what you want, may have even factored into his choice of kits.

maybe just give them a second shot, at 120degrees, thatd be a serious issue, as I said, your car will hit 120degrees on a hot day, they have to be prepared for that, so that leaves something else at fault, a normal bumper at 120degrees would not have this problem.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:43 PM
EddieJr

No, I didn't purchase it from Bulletproof. I got it from one of the other vendors on this site. But when I recieved it, it had no "defects" so I would not think the retailer has any responsibility to replace it. Am I wrong on this?

I see that alot of members have this spoiler with no problems. Thats why I ordered the urethane version as I am not very well versed in paint and body work. I was hoping that someone that recently had it done would also post if they got it "baked"? And if know at what temperature.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:07 PM
shemp

I guess I was lucky. My Veilside I Urethane lip was in perfect condition. I ordered from MVP in Dallas. A word to the wise though, this lip chips like crazy. Any little tiny pebble does some damage. I had to take mine back to the body shop and they repainted it and added something called "gravel guard" which works great. So far no more chipped paint. I even installed the lip myself within 10 minutes and I normally cannot install anything by myself.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:55 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted on Eddie's other thread...

I got my Urethane lip shipped in and it fitted pretty loose. After it was supposedly baked and painted it was a tight and perfect fit. In fact, it was so tight that it took me awhile to allign the 3m tape.

My vote goes to the paintshop either throwing the switch on their oven too high or leaving in it there too long. Every urethane piece is suppose to flux to it's original shape when it sits in heat. My buddies usually throw their kits in the sun and leave it sitting there for a bit just to get the kits to return back to their intended shape prior to installation. We never had urethane shrink or warp like this.

Good luck...I say fight it to the end. You derserve it with the money you spent.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Red6

THe body shop messed up. Urethane doen't react like that to 120 temp the body shop baked it for way too long.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Wedge

There are a lot of people on this forum with the Veilside 1 urethane front lip (including me) who have had them painted. Yours was the first I have heard of that had problems like this. I have to go along with the body shop screwing up somehow with their oven. Tell them you will not be paying for the paintjob and you will settle for the cost of a replacement lip. Then take it to another shop. These are quality pieces and they are some of the best fitting lips around. There are two issues here......one is that they messed it up.......the second is that they are basically telling you to get screwed and not owning up to it.

The best of luck to you in getting this situation rectified.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

actually I too have a veilside urethane piece except its not the front lip, its the version 1 rear under spoiler and it did somewhat warp on the opening for the driver side exhaust. I did not examine the piece carefully when I picked it up from the shop I bought it at, but when it was painted and installed on the car it was easily noticeable. I had it installed at a quite reputable shop and they told me it was the mold from veilside. I'm thinking it was veilside's fault.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:49 AM
Wedge

I guess the thing to do is test fit the part on your car before taking it in for paint. If it fits before it is painted and there are no flaws, it should be the same way after it is painted. If the test fits reveals flaws, get a replacement before you have it painted.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:41 PM
EddieJr

Well I talked, no wait more like argued, to them again today. The shop now is trying to contact Veilside on my behalf(Yeah Right) stating that this was a manufacturers defective part. I for one cannot see Veilside saying "O.K. you screwed up a customers part and you want us to warranty it. We'll send a new one at no cost ASAP."

The shop said to contact them on Thursday to see if it is covered by Veilside. Iinformed them that the money I piaid for the job has been disputed in my Visa check card until this is resolved. Also a small claims court action will be forthcoming if I don't get FULLY compensated. As well as a file with the BBB and whoever the h*ll else I can get to listen,
Old 02-17-2004, 03:06 PM
drew703

Damn man I'm sorry to hear all of this.

I dont have the v1 lip yet, but I am planning on getting it, in urethane as well. It does sound like it might have been the shop's fault, but then again you've heard that plenty of times at this point. I hope everything works out alright in the end.

Btw, I'm in VA too, what body shop is this if you dont mind me asking?

For future reference I know a very good one, (somewhat expensive) but VERY good.

-drew
Old 02-17-2004, 03:29 PM
EddieJr

Drew703......The shop I used was GRAN PRIX here in Fredericksburg. They were voted the best area body shop in the local paper. It seemed to be a straight up place, spotless floors and all of the new body shop technologies. The shop manager was an arrogant a**hole after I showed them what they had done.

I feel as though they want me to just give up and settle for the money I paid them and go. I will give them till late Thursday to resolve this, if not I will be at the courthouse Friday to file papers for court.

And yes I would be grateful if you could give me the name of the place you use.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:24 PM
SixRB6

Default Need help too!!

I just bought the front lip from a vendor on this site. I won't mention the name yet unless they start back peddling. Which by the way I think they are since I contacted them Sunday and still not heard from them.

I bought the Urethane V1 lip and my question is will in constrict if it is 20 degrees out?? I tried pre fitting it before I took it for paint and there is no way it will fit. I put the center on first then just brought it up to see if it will fit to the wheel wells and there is no way. The piece will crack.....What do I do??

Quick Reply: Veilside Urethane Problems....HELP!!