Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

A pillar respray?

Old 04-30-2018, 12:02 PM
  #1  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 47
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A pillar respray?

Has anyone ever had a shop respray these? If so how much where you charged? Mines fading as you can see and itís over $400 a piece new....

Last edited by Hypes; 04-30-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Hypes is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 12:46 PM
  #2  
jdmfetish
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 850
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

$400 per side
so yeah like $800 new for the set
I need mine done

you certainly can remove them and have them painted
jdmfetish is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 04:17 PM
  #3  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 47
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by jdmfetish View Post
$400 per side
so yeah like $800 new for the set
I need mine done

you certainly can remove them and have them painted
i know people say silver is hard to color match, do you think they would need to blend anything around to make it look better? Surely a respray on such a small piece will be the best route appose to paying $800 lol
Hypes is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 08:51 PM
  #4  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,193
Received 2,042 Likes on 1,467 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hypes View Post
i know people say silver is hard to color match, do you think they would need to blend anything around to make it look better? Surely a respray on such a small piece will be the best route appose to paying $800 lol
Silver and white are extremely hard to match BUT, if your shop is worth their shingle on the wall, not a problem. I'm fortunate to have a shop that *perfectly* matched my pearl white Shiro AND my Chrome Silver Z33 (the entire side of the car matched to the hood, deck, etc.)

I asked them about doing the door pillar/frame... "Well, I think you need to do the whole car.... $5,000."



Uh, no, not paying over 50% of the value of the car to paint it. I love my car but patina is good.

But seriously, he said he'd do it for $250. but really didn't want to.... "not worth it without doing all of the other fading parts..." (meaning, the whole car.)
MicVelo is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Hypes (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 03:20 PM
  #5  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 47
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
Silver and white are extremely hard to match BUT, if your shop is worth their shingle on the wall, not a problem. I'm fortunate to have a shop that *perfectly* matched my pearl white Shiro AND my Chrome Silver Z33 (the entire side of the car matched to the hood, deck, etc.)

I asked them about doing the door pillar/frame... "Well, I think you need to do the whole car.... $5,000."



Uh, no, not paying over 50% of the value of the car to paint it. I love my car but patina is good.

But seriously, he said he'd do it for $250. but really didn't want to.... "not worth it without doing all of the other fading parts..." (meaning, the whole car.)
interesting, makes me think about just getting the whole car wrapped.
Hypes is offline  
Old 05-01-2018, 04:17 PM
  #6  
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
 
MicVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,193
Received 2,042 Likes on 1,467 Posts
Default

I thought about doing that at one point but to have it professionally done, I think I figured out that I'd have to do that every couple years to keep it fresh which, at that point, a $5k paint job seems more worth it over, say, a 8-10 year period of time.

Do it myself I hear people say.... Hahahahahahahahaha.....I know my limitations. On patience that is. Seriously, anything to do with the body of the car, no thanks. I'll tackle anything mechanical. Paint/wrap, ehh, not s'much.
MicVelo is online now  
Old 05-02-2018, 08:33 AM
  #7  
JMII
Registered User
 
JMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Margate, FL
Posts: 559
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Hypes View Post
interesting, makes me think about just getting the whole car wrapped.
My brother just had his Porsche wrapped professionally... it was $4K not sure if there was an automatic up charge for the badge but its a convertible so that didn't even include a roof! They did an amazing job even cutting around the badges but I had no idea a wrap cost so much. The color was matte grey so maybe that material is more costly because its the current "cool thing"
JMII is offline  
Old 05-02-2018, 07:44 PM
  #8  
Hypes
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 47
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Seems i am in a pickle lol; have a nice looking car n/a; or use that money making it look nice to go boost but look meh. decisions, decisions.
Hypes is offline  
Old 05-03-2018, 08:23 AM
  #9  
JMII
Registered User
 
JMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Margate, FL
Posts: 559
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Is it really fading or it just the clear coat? I know it sounds silly but it might buff out. My wife's Infiniti has the same problem and I've gotten to look better (not perfect but improved) by following some YouTube videos on paint correction. It is risky because it could look worse after you attempt to compound it but if your going to paint it anyway
JMII is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A pillar respray?


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: