Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A pillar respray?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:02 PM
Hypes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A pillar respray?

Has anyone ever had a shop respray these? If so how much where you charged? Mines fading as you can see and it’s over $400 a piece new....

Last edited by Hypes; 04-30-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:46 PM
jdmfetish

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

$400 per side
so yeah like $800 new for the set
I need mine done

you certainly can remove them and have them painted
Old 04-30-2018, 04:17 PM
Hypes

Originally Posted by jdmfetish
$400 per side
so yeah like $800 new for the set
I need mine done

you certainly can remove them and have them painted
i know people say silver is hard to color match, do you think they would need to blend anything around to make it look better? Surely a respray on such a small piece will be the best route appose to paying $800 lol
Old 04-30-2018, 08:51 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypes
i know people say silver is hard to color match, do you think they would need to blend anything around to make it look better? Surely a respray on such a small piece will be the best route appose to paying $800 lol
Silver and white are extremely hard to match BUT, if your shop is worth their shingle on the wall, not a problem. I'm fortunate to have a shop that *perfectly* matched my pearl white Shiro AND my Chrome Silver Z33 (the entire side of the car matched to the hood, deck, etc.)

I asked them about doing the door pillar/frame... "Well, I think you need to do the whole car.... $5,000."

Uh, no, not paying over 50% of the value of the car to paint it. I love my car but patina is good.

But seriously, he said he'd do it for $250. but really didn't want to.... "not worth it without doing all of the other fading parts..." (meaning, the whole car.)
The following users liked this post:
Hypes (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 03:20 PM
Hypes

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Silver and white are extremely hard to match BUT, if your shop is worth their shingle on the wall, not a problem. I'm fortunate to have a shop that *perfectly* matched my pearl white Shiro AND my Chrome Silver Z33 (the entire side of the car matched to the hood, deck, etc.)

I asked them about doing the door pillar/frame... "Well, I think you need to do the whole car.... $5,000."

Uh, no, not paying over 50% of the value of the car to paint it. I love my car but patina is good.

But seriously, he said he'd do it for $250. but really didn't want to.... "not worth it without doing all of the other fading parts..." (meaning, the whole car.)
interesting, makes me think about just getting the whole car wrapped.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:17 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

I thought about doing that at one point but to have it professionally done, I think I figured out that I'd have to do that every couple years to keep it fresh which, at that point, a $5k paint job seems more worth it over, say, a 8-10 year period of time.

Do it myself I hear people say.... Hahahahahahahahaha.....I know my limitations. On patience that is. Seriously, anything to do with the body of the car, no thanks. I'll tackle anything mechanical. Paint/wrap, ehh, not s'much.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:33 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Hypes
interesting, makes me think about just getting the whole car wrapped.
My brother just had his Porsche wrapped professionally... it was $4K not sure if there was an automatic up charge for the badge but its a convertible so that didn't even include a roof! They did an amazing job even cutting around the badges but I had no idea a wrap cost so much. The color was matte grey so maybe that material is more costly because its the current "cool thing"
Old 05-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Hypes

Seems i am in a pickle lol; have a nice looking car n/a; or use that money making it look nice to go boost but look meh. decisions, decisions.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:23 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Is it really fading or it just the clear coat? I know it sounds silly but it might buff out. My wife's Infiniti has the same problem and I've gotten to look better (not perfect but improved) by following some YouTube videos on paint correction. It is risky because it could look worse after you attempt to compound it but if your going to paint it anyway