Sponsored by:

How to make D-shape steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 10:07 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How to make D-shape steering wheel

Hey gang,

I get not wanting to put this info into the world for anyone, but could someone PM me on how to make the frame of a Z steering wheel into a D-shape? I can take it from there on finishing it out...doing something very custom...but I want to make a D-shape steering wheel and just am not sure how the custom shops like the guy in England (that does the leather and fiber glass steering wheels depicted in one of the listed threads in this forum..you'll see it on page 1 of this Exterior and Interior forum) and other people are changing the shape of the steering wheel itself? I'm guessing just cutting the wheel and welding a cross member across the bottom?

Would really appreciate the help,

Saved
Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Mine was made on the east coast but can't be any help to tell you how they do it.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:07 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

It may be a lil more involved. If you don't want to weld inside your car the wheel will need to come off. Might go ahead and get a new clock-spring too. Spec there's a tutorial on YT.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:49 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welding the flat section across the bottom of the steering wheel won't be easy. The frame itself is cast aluminum and you'll need a good TIG and rod to do it right without warping the OEM frame. The more I look at the CF and leather wrap on the steering wheel I purchased on the classifieds here, the more I can appreciate it wasn't an easy job. As a DIY project? No thanks, I've get bigger jobs to get to both before and after this C-19 crisis is over.
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
DarkZ03 (04-02-2020), rustyschopshop (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 01:38 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welding the flat section across the bottom of the steering wheel won't be easy. The frame itself is cast aluminum and you'll need a good TIG and rod to do it right without warping the OEM frame. The more I look at the CF and leather wrap on the steering wheel I purchased on the classifieds here, the more I can appreciate it wasn't an easy job. As a DIY project? No thanks, I've get bigger jobs to get to both before and after this C-19 crisis is over.
Totally agree with you on this, can't imagine how much work went into mine as well. 650$ shipped with carbon switch covers was a no brainer for me in order to retain the air bag and know that there wouldn't be any issues with safety.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:10 PM
DarkZ03

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Agreed, they are even selling some with shift lights now
Old 04-02-2020, 05:39 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Agreed, they are even selling some with shift lights now
Phooo- that's over the top...
Old 04-02-2020, 05:58 PM
DarkZ03

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

I agree, but in something like the GTR I think they look cool and are a bit more useful
Old 04-02-2020, 09:49 PM
savedbygrace

Thanks guys for the thoughts and help...and agreed, it's a big undertaking but once I learn it it's something I'm willing to take on down the road.

Worst case I could cut off the frame and build a new one like hot rodders do, then build on that after welding the new D shape to the OEM frame that got its circle cut off....

Are you sure the frame is cast aluminum and not magnesium? It sure looks like magnesium...and for the reply about taking my wheel off, I've had the wheel off about ten to twenty times...and have gutted the entire interior a few times over the years. Audio...repairs...to learn...etc...I'm comfy tackling things, but not until I know that I know most of what I need to know you know?

Random tip...if you're ever sanding a magnesium steering wheel (to polish it)...be careful...they can flash and catch on fire right in your hands....there's video of it on YT and the guy explained what happened as it was caught live on camera and surprised him just a little bit. If the frame is aluminum I won't be so concerned, but I believe it's magnesium? (cheaper to produce I THINK is why?)

It can't be THAT difficult....there are a lots of shops with skilled people that make them...and I'm sure it's work...but the how can't be that complex is all I mean. Having the right tools and how to use them...sure that's vital...but I really want to learn how first and then either get the tools or get access to them to just make myself one wheel...they're so sports car classy and unique, a really nice improvement to the Z if done right.

Keep the info flowing gang...please...would LOVE to learn this and very happy to keep it in my brain and not share it to the net ever. Just trying to improve my own car...not take over the world of custom wheels.

Saved
Old 04-02-2020, 09:53 PM
savedbygrace

Originally Posted by jhc
It may be a lil more involved. If you don't want to weld inside your car the wheel will need to come off. Might go ahead and get a new clock-spring too. Spec there's a tutorial on YT.
Curious what a new clock spring would give me? What's their typical lifespan....your comment made me realize I just kinda assumed a clock spring lasts forever since I've never heard of them being replaced, but that's just my ignorance talking as I'm just a guy learning as I go, not a car guy with a rich history of cartopian mechanical automotive awesomeness. By the time I'm ninety three I'll have this down though....so I'll keep trying.

Saved
Old 04-03-2020, 03:00 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,061 Likes on 6,524 Posts

i just put an oem one in my corvette, i like that it gives me a little more room between my legs and the steering wheel
Old 04-03-2020, 07:04 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

You may be right about the construction of the OEM wheel being cast magnesium, rather than aluminum. Both are lightweight metals and magnesium may be even more difficult to work with. Take it to an experienced welder to get an opinion. As for the clockspring, it's well-known that removing and reinstalling them can result in damage, so thread carefully.