Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting

Installing shift boot (howto with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004 | 02:39 PM
sbonell

Default Installing shift boot (howto with pics)

Just installed a redline shift boot. Thought some pics might be useful here. Apologies if its not in the right place, I couldn't find a HowTos area.

1. Remove shift **** by wrapping a towel/cloth around stem of shift **** and using a wrench to loosen. Unscrew and remove.
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-1-remove-knob.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 02:41 PM
sbonell

2. Under the shift **** is a collet. Don't lose this.
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-2-remove-collet.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 02:43 PM
sbonell

3. Now remove dash console around shift boot by reaching in and under edge of hole around the shift boot and pulling up.
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-3-pull-console.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 02:45 PM
sbonell

4. Lift the console up and gently turn over. Be careful of the white ribbon cable. This is reasonably delicate and you don't want to twist or break it.
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-4-lift-console.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 02:48 PM
sbonell

5. The shift boot is attached to a plastic ring and the aluminium trim. All of this is attached to the console by screws. So next we remove the screws.
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-5-remove-screws.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 02:50 PM
sbonell

6. The edge of the shift boot is sandwiched between the aluminium trim ring and the plastic ring. The plastic ring is attached by a number of clips. Push on the clips to pop them out working around the ring.
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-7-pushing-clips.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 02:54 PM
sbonell

7. With the ring removed, you can just lift the old shift boot off the locating pins it sits on. Before you throw it away, retrieve the plastic collar which is attached to the boot with a cable tie. Sorry for the poor pic on this one.
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-9-collar-with-cable-tie.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 02:57 PM
sbonell

8. Time to attach the new shift boot to the ring. The Redline boot is a custom fit so it already has holes punched. If you look at the holes, you can see that on one of the sides near the stitching, there are 4 holes (on the opposite side there are only 2). These 4 holes guide you which way round to put the boot on because there are 4 pins on the underside of the aluminium trim ring.
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-10-four-holes-in-boot.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 02:59 PM
EL Diablo

Nice post
Thanks
Old 03-01-2004 | 02:59 PM
sbonell

9. Boot attached to underneath of aluminium trim ring.
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-12-boot-on-ring.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:01 PM
sbonell

10. Now reassemble the plastic ring by pushing it back of the clips. Note that the platic ring will go on the wrong way round as well. You can tell if its the right way up because the metal clips should be underneath (see pic).
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-13-ring-reassembled.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:02 PM
Conceyted

You forgot a huge step. WHen you turn that shift **** off make sure you lock the shifter at the bottom with a set of linklocks or something. If you dont do that you can harm your tranny. It is in the nissan service manual.
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:06 PM
sbonell

11. (Need to post faster - El Diablo's getting impatient ). Here's where you use the collar you retrieved earlier. This is probably the fiddliest bit of the whole job. With the boot inside out, slide the collar over the 4 leather tabs, fold them over and use a new cable tie around the collar to hold them in place.

The collar needs to be the right way up and its difficult to describe how this should be. The inside of the collar is conical. The base of the cone (wide part) should be at the up (up as in the attached picture). Another way to say it is that the inside of the collar is tapered and the widest opening should be at the top (up) as it appears in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-15-new-cable-tie.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:10 PM
sbonell

12. Refit console and then put collet back over shift lever. Note that the tapered end of the collet faces down (see pic.)
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-18-replace-collet.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:14 PM
sbonell

13. Replace shift ****. Job done.

Very pleased with the Redline boot. Lovely leather and a good fit. Orange stitching on this one is a great match for stitch on my seats.

The pic here doesn't really do it justice as the flash has made it look shiny. Its actually really nice leather.
Attached Thumbnails Installing shift boot  (howto with pics)-finished-2.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:21 PM
sbonell

Originally posted by Conceyted
You forgot a huge step. WHen you turn that shift **** off make sure you lock the shifter at the bottom with a set of linklocks or something. If you dont do that you can harm your tranny. It is in the nissan service manual.

Chris - thanks. That's the only bit where I was following an existing HowTo

I can't edit the post now, but have asked Mike W. to put your comments into my first post. I'll check the service manual for details in the meantime and if he lets me edit it, I'll update accordingly. Thanks for the spot.

Stuart
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:37 PM
fdao

sbonell,

Great post! Mods, please sticky this.
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:38 PM
Conceyted

Originally posted by sbonell
Chris - thanks. That's the only bit where I was following an existing HowTo

I can't edit the post now, but have asked Mike W. to put your comments into my first post. I'll check the service manual for details in the meantime and if he lets me edit it, I'll update accordingly. Thanks for the spot.

Stuart
Not a problem! I appreciate these types of personal DIY's, it shows that people really want to help others We are the 350z community We are here to help!
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:54 PM
silverstoneTT

Looks easy enough. Thanks for the pics.
Old 03-01-2004 | 04:38 PM
yobri
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Nice pictorial bro. Looks easier than I had previously imagined. Now to install the new shift **** that I've been procrastinating on for so long...

Quick Reply: Installing shift boot (howto with pics)