Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

led interior lighting

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 10:12 AM
lgbdog1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led interior lighting

I just found a picture that I've had for awhile and I searched around but I can't find anything about it. This Z had l.e.d.'s installed in the roof on the left and right sides of the car. I think it would be a nice effect to have white l.e.d.'s there that turn on when the doors are opened. Does anyone know whose car this is, or have any idea how you would install lights in this part of the car?

I'm not sure how to attach a picture so I hope this works..
Attached Thumbnails led interior lighting-dcp_3481.jpg  
Old 03-03-2004, 12:06 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could make that happen easily. the hitch is that you gotta drill your headliner (ouch)!

I would say to use a LED surface mount of some sort to give it a clean look. a wide angle 5mm LED would be sufficient if you had 5 like that. if you wanted to do 1, a luxeon would do the trick.

difficulty with luxeon is Im not familiar with any survace mounts, they arent a real great shape for that.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:30 PM
lgbdog1

I think if I did do it I would probably have even more than 5 leds. I would do as the picture shows, but I would make the line of LEDs continue to the headrest. Because of this I probably wouldn't need bright LEDs.

Ares, I was wondering what a "LED surface mount" is?

I still can't decide wether this would look good or not. Could anyone post their opinion on this? My car currently isn't ricey at all, and I wouldn't want this to change that. Somehow this mod seems classy to me though and not too ricey. Keep in mind the LEDs would just come on when the doors were open, and not be on all the time.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:50 PM
ares
Veteran

something like that, so the LED has a finished appearance to it. not just randomly stuck through the lining and varying depths. how many you use isnt real important, I think 5 would make the interior glow, 10 would light it up.

I just swapped out my dome lights to luxeon LEDs, every single person thats been in my car day or night wanted to know if I installed the dome light thing. I didnt know it was so bright or noticable, but the clean white light has caught everyones eye.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:13 PM
silverstoneTT

Sounds like a good idea
Old 03-03-2004, 05:01 PM
lgbdog1

Thanks for the info.

Ares, do you sell the leds and/or surface mounts? If so, how much would they be?
Old 03-03-2004, 05:15 PM
ares
Veteran

if your looking to do all the work yourself may as well order it yourself. Id be glad to help you find the right parts, just leave you to assemble it.

if you want me to set it up for you, wire the LEDs with resistors and surface mounts(I dont have any of these but I can get them) I can do that too, and would work out the price.

also lastly, Id reccomend tapping into the dome lights. seperately. they come on when the doors open, and theyd come on as additional lighting with each side seperatly for map reading.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:40 AM
lgbdog1

Realistically, I dont think I have the expertise needed to do this well, so I would probably have you wire it up and have it installed by a professional shop.

That's a great idea as far as hooking them up to the dome lights individually. One question about that though... the dome lights fade out slowly when they turn off, Will this cause any kind of problem with LEDs, or can LEDs fade just like a light bulb?

I don't need an actual quote until I'm sure about doing this... but could you give me a feel for what the price might be for you to set it up for me? I would probably also want to replace my dome lights with leds.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:07 AM
ares
Veteran

I have the LEDs in the dome lights now, and I wondered about that as well.

basicly as they fade, they fade a tiny bit then go off, they dont fade out totally.

ballpark depends how many LEDs you said more than them, like 10, 20 total? prolly about 60-70$.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:57 PM
silverstoneTT

How would they be wired in? I dont think Id be scared of drilling the holes if the whole install were fairly easy?

Id still much rather dome lights that were very white and bright...
Old 03-05-2004, 09:29 PM
ares
Veteran

wire taps to the same wires that power the dome lights. youd wanna tap in after all the switches, I havent investigated any of that to see if there is a location to tap into, purely speculation on my part right now.

you can ask sicilianNYC about the luxeon interior lights, he got to see them in person. heh I think he called them spooky or something. it really is just odd to have pure white light inside the car, I gaurentee you have no idea what Im talking about, one of those things you gotta see to understand.