Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FiberImages Carbon Fiber GT Body kit *56k warning*

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 10:09 AM
basam350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any plans for a polyurethene kit? I don't know about carbon fiber, but I know fiberglass is cheap and not very duriable.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Scorch268

Chestbo, my hats off to you! Any word on pricing for just the front bumper? Thanks!
Old 04-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Aggro_Al

Originally posted by basam350z
Any plans for a polyurethene kit? I don't know about carbon fiber, but I know fiberglass is cheap and not very duriable.
Chesbosto

That kit looks great. How does a full CF kit compare to polyurethane in terms of durability? Does it require any modifications to the current bumper? If that kit can survive as a daily driver without affecting safety I might get one.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys-

CF is alot more durable than fiberglass- fiberimages hoods are extremely flexible and i've done the "jump" test and got ontop of my hood when i had their maxima stock hood.

the body kit is fairly the same.

since fiberglass generally is cut in sheets, its overall structural integrity is not as strong as carbon fiber. it also has to do with the resin mixture used--

carbon, when set is inheriently flexible, i wouldnt be surprized if you hit something with the front bumper and all you see is a scratch on the resin than a crack.. probably the top holes where the bumper is attached to the car would snap off before the carbon cracks...

this kit is a direct replacement. we're still working on the master mold (the picts you see on my car are the prototypes) and we're getting the gaps on the side pieces down to hopefully less than 3mm or less error.. i know some people are sticklers for things like this.. the "real" one didnt even fit that good!

polyurethane procedure is actually alot more tedious. PU is injected and then heat shrunk to the form that you want it.yes its a little more forgiving to curbs and stuff... but Fiberimages doesnt have the hardware (which costs 100k+) for a good machine.

i think our main goal now is to get the front, fenders, hood, sides, and rear diffuser completed prior to any offical sales... but i will post more info soon,

thanks for your patience guys...
Old 04-21-2004, 05:57 AM
phile

When this is finished, can we have more pics (of the stuff you didn't show yet)?
Old 04-21-2004, 09:57 PM
micky

Default What is the price for front bumper!!!

I really like to buy front bumper...^^ very soon

Thanks
Old 05-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Scorch268

Chestbo, Congrats! I am currently working with CF for some other projects. Would you mind shooting me some pics of the construction process? Just outta curiousity seeing as I'm a beginner Cpowell@NOSPAMMERtheoretix.com (take out the no spam) I will definietly be buying this kit asap when it comes out, also, let me know if you ever sell your ride ;-) Ive got a G35c that id love to trade
Old 09-09-2004, 12:31 PM
bulletproofBen
Banned

On behalf of Top Secret III and Bulletproof Automotive, I'd like to comment on this.

First off, I'm disappointed that anyone has used the words Top Secret to describe these parts. The production of knockoff parts which do not fit as well as the originals generally will end up reducing the reputation of the original brand that it was stolen from. Now that our name is attached to this product, we will undoubtedly feel some of the impact of yet another knockoff leeching off of the reputation of an original.

People see these parts on cars, notice the poor fit and then think…Top Secret’s parts don’t fit so well. I’ve seen such a thing happen, and it’s quite ridiculous since Top Secret puts so much work into ensuring perfect fitment and production standards.

Secondly, I'm surprised that your pricing is announced as it was. To charge $2100 for a FRP knockoff kit is a new one for me to experience.

THE RETAIL ON THE AUTHENTIC FRP Top Secret parts are $2575 for all 5 pcs. To save all of the money by not designing anything new, having no R&D, and simply stealing a design by creating a replica of an existing product, as a consumer it's insulting. The retail price of the authentic parts even INCLUDE freight from Japan (that you claim is $600). All Top Secret US retail prices include freight from Japan to the US, always. In fact all products from Bulletproof Automotive ALWAYS include all freight costs from Japan to America.

If Top Secret can do all of the design of their products on their own, go through extensive fitment tests and data collection, race test their parts, and produce them in Japan where labor and material costs are more expensive for nearly the same price as your product, I think that something is very wrong.

Cheston, as someone who I was previously told was an innovator, I'm disappointed with your complete theft of a reputable company's product. Especially to Top Secret in particular, who has done so much for the industry and is a true pioneer. It's things like this that destroy our industry. Top Sercret III is already not stocking this design aero part in America because it's been knocked off so many times. I can assure that these knockoffs are influencing Top Secret to produce less original designs because they are continually getting stolen by people who are trying to claim large profits off of their theft.

I hope that the money you and FI make on this particular theft of design will be enough to offset the bad karma that you create for yourselves.

I can not even begin to express my disappointment.

Sincerely,
Ben Schaffer
Top Secret III
Old 09-10-2004, 02:39 AM
S12 driver

What happened to this kit, haven't seen anyone else installed it.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:01 AM
twenzel

Originally posted by bulletproofBen
On behalf of Top Secret III and Bulletproof Automotive, I'd like to comment on this.

First off, I'm disappointed that anyone has used the words Top Secret to describe these parts. The production of knockoff parts which do not fit as well as the originals generally will end up reducing the reputation of the original brand that it was stolen from. Now that our name is attached to this product, we will undoubtedly feel some of the impact of yet another knockoff leeching off of the reputation of an original.

People see these parts on cars, notice the poor fit and then think…Top Secret’s parts don’t fit so well. I’ve seen such a thing happen, and it’s quite ridiculous since Top Secret puts so much work into ensuring perfect fitment and production standards.

Secondly, I'm surprised that your pricing is announced as it was. To charge $2100 for a FRP knockoff kit is a new one for me to experience.

THE RETAIL ON THE AUTHENTIC FRP Top Secret parts are $2575 for all 5 pcs. To save all of the money by not designing anything new, having no R&D, and simply stealing a design by creating a replica of an existing product, as a consumer it's insulting. The retail price of the authentic parts even INCLUDE freight from Japan (that you claim is $600). All Top Secret US retail prices include freight from Japan to the US, always. In fact all products from Bulletproof Automotive ALWAYS include all freight costs from Japan to America.

If Top Secret can do all of the design of their products on their own, go through extensive fitment tests and data collection, race test their parts, and produce them in Japan where labor and material costs are more expensive for nearly the same price as your product, I think that something is very wrong.

Cheston, as someone who I was previously told was an innovator, I'm disappointed with your complete theft of a reputable company's product. Especially to Top Secret in particular, who has done so much for the industry and is a true pioneer. It's things like this that destroy our industry. Top Sercret III is already not stocking this design aero part in America because it's been knocked off so many times. I can assure that these knockoffs are influencing Top Secret to produce less original designs because they are continually getting stolen by people who are trying to claim large profits off of their theft.

I hope that the money you and FI make on this particular theft of design will be enough to offset the bad karma that you create for yourselves.

Sincerely,
Ben Schaffer
Top Secret III

Well said! I respect Top Secret more than any other shop out there today. It is quite dissapointing to see this sort of plagiarism take place. I hope Top Secret will continue to innovate and design aero parts.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:29 AM
Daking350z
Banned

Stillen just basically knocked off the top secret too..
Old 09-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Rampant

Originally posted by Daking350z
Stillen just basically knocked off the top secret too..
Um, not even close. A knockoff is, in effect, making molds from the original parts to create virtually the exact same part in a cheaper material. However, fitment and quality of materials is always an issue since you can't keep standards as close as the original.

I, personally, don't like the ideas of knockoffs, as it is void of any creativity or thought, and becomes a "how cheaply can we make it". And I really don't want really cheap stuff going on my car. That being said, they do allow for more people to have more options that they wouldn't be able to afford anyway. I just wish they took a little extra step and made their own design (even if it resembles the original a little).

As far as knockoffs ruining the industry, there could be a point made that more people buying more products (of any kind) actually promotes the industry (as more money is being put in it). What it does do is crush innovation and quality. However, this also makes it easier for the better companies to illustrate their advantages.

Look at Volk. They are knocked off more than any wheel I know, but they are still selling a TON of wheels themselves. People understand the differences between knockoffs and the original, and they don't impact the perceived quality of the original.

As far as the fiber images stuff is concerned, since they are using carbon, I can see it as a little different (for someone who wants a CF Top Secret LOOKING body kit). But it is still a knockoff. And, if you are going to paint it, you really should get the real deal (especially since they are so close in price).

Unfortunately, the Japanese companies are going to have to learn to adapt to this environment (by promoting their surperiority and exclusivity) if they are going to compete here (but they do have a competitive advantage--they just need to promote it properly). It sucks, but I don't see the American marketplace changing.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:17 AM
topsecret2001
Sponsor
Bulletproof Automotive

When Smoky saw a car with a knock off Top Secret hood on it earlier this year he went silent. He later asked me, "Why do people do that?"

In Japan, copying another person's/shop's design is unheard of. It's a simple concept called respect that's imbedded in their culture. Unfortunately, many individuals/companies in this country have no respect and openly steal the work of other's to make a quick buck. There is simply no excuse...

As has already been pointed out, this is a copy of a copy of a copy which will most likely never fit correctly and is constructed with sub-par materials. The owner of the vehicle above stated himself that the carbon fiber parts are flexible..... carbon fiber parts, especially aero parts, should be extremely strong and rigid....NOT flexible.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:01 PM
POWER350Z

bump for cheston!
Old 09-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Dragonstyle

Wow....nice!
Old 09-18-2004, 05:01 PM
basam350z

I'm sorry, but I was really offended by your statements. Usually I don't reply to ignorant people like you, but considering you sell this stuff.

I know for a FACT this line is full of it!

"In Japan, copying another person's/shop's design is unheard of. "

"Unfortunately, many individuals/companies in this country have no respect and openly steal the work of other's to make a quick buck."

Not everyone is like this, and the people that buy it are no different then, right?

Honestly, if you don't like "individuals in this Country", just keep your stuff in Japan.

Originally posted by topsecret2001
When Smoky saw a car with a knock off Top Secret hood on it earlier this year he went silent. He later asked me, "Why do people do that?"

In Japan, copying another person's/shop's design is unheard of. It's a simple concept called respect that's imbedded in their culture. Unfortunately, many individuals/companies in this country have no respect and openly steal the work of other's to make a quick buck. There is simply no excuse...

As has already been pointed out, this is a copy of a copy of a copy which will most likely never fit correctly and is constructed with sub-par materials. The owner of the vehicle above stated himself that the carbon fiber parts are flexible..... carbon fiber parts, especially aero parts, should be extremely strong and rigid....NOT flexible.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:59 PM
SomeGuywitha-Z

I've seen many Ings kits that's replicated in JP too...
Old 01-09-2005, 03:14 PM
ppw350Zunit

i'm also wondering if this kit is finished since i can't find it on the fiberimages website. i'm interested in the rear mud guards in either c/f or fiberglass. please let me know. thanks.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:11 PM
ghost11

Originally posted by bulletproofBen

Sincerely,
Ben Schaffer
Top Secret III
don't you people have a rainforest to save?