Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! MY (Painted) NISMO WING SUCKS (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 09:17 AM
JFritz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP! MY (Painted) NISMO WING SUCKS (Pictures)

Oh this sux. I'm going to post pictures too, but you can't see the imperfections as well.

So I got a of quotes on my Nismo replica wing to get painted around the valley. The prices ranged from $200 to $500 installed. The place I finally decided on was a collision center known for doing quality work.

$332.00 painted and installed

Keep in mind all fiberglass has imperfections and I think that an experienced painter knows this. I've had a fiberglass hood and tail on my last car, and I know the prep process is improtant.

Also keep in mind I've had $9K worth of uninsured work done at this same collision center too when I wrecked my 98 Cobra at the Drag Race track. The work was flawless.

Well they finished yesterday and put the wing on my car. When I picked up the car they had it backed in to a parking spot and in the shade.

When I got home and took a look, I noticed that it looked like no prep work had been performed. It was definitely unsmooth, very noticeble in the day time. It looked as if Maaco or some cheap shop had painted this thing.

So this morning I go back to their shop and show them the bad work that they did. He told me that when my dad showed up with the wing, the only prep work that was offered in the $332.00 quote was to remove dirt. He said that he told my dad that there was more prep work that needed to be done on the car but my dad had said that I just want it painted and put on. I called my dad and asked him if this was true, and he said absolutely not.

So this guy tells me that he'll repaint it and put it back on for free. But he has to charge me to prep it. Guess how much. $300. I replied, so I have to pay another $300 for something you guys should have done in the first place? I then said I want the owner to take a look, and he said that the owner is on vacation and won't be back until Monday. I told him I'd be back.

Please give me some advice if I'm out of line here. I chose a quality place that I thought would do a good job. I spent $200 for a Nismo replica fiberglass wing, but as most of you know, fiberglass is not always smooth from the mold. Also, I was not an a-hole to the guy either, except for letting him know that I wasn't going to pay another $300 for something he should have done in the first place.

The pictures don't look too bad, but in person you can really see some "imperfections".
Attached Thumbnails HELP! MY (Painted) NISMO WING SUCKS (Pictures)-mvc-365s.jpg  
Old 04-15-2004, 09:17 AM
JFritz

Here's where it's most noticeble.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! MY (Painted) NISMO WING SUCKS (Pictures)-mvc-366s.jpg  
Old 04-15-2004, 09:22 AM
JFritz

Attached Thumbnails HELP! MY (Painted) NISMO WING SUCKS (Pictures)-mvc-367s.jpg  
Old 04-15-2004, 09:28 AM
JFritz

Attached Thumbnails HELP! MY (Painted) NISMO WING SUCKS (Pictures)-mvc-368s.jpg  
Old 04-15-2004, 09:42 AM
spdu4ia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oooooooooo yea i'd be pretty heated too!!!

walk in and say, "you better fix it or i'ma blow this ***** %$cka up!"
Old 04-15-2004, 09:55 AM
350zluvr

It doesn't sound to me like you are out of line. A good body shop would inform you of the correct procedure and pricing AHEAD of time. I might also mention the fact that your results will be spread over a wide community on this site, so if they treat you unfairly, a lot of others will know about it and they'll be losing business from more than just you.

BTW, is it just me or is the color of your wing a little darker than the factory DB paint of the rest of the car

Last edited by 350zluvr; 04-15-2004 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:33 AM
2003z

you aren't out of line, and with your history at that shop, I'm sure the owner will take care of you on his return.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:00 PM
IsatteliteI

Originally posted by spdu4ia
oooooooooo yea i'd be pretty heated too!!!

walk in and say, "you better fix it or i'ma blow this ***** %$cka up!"

LMFAO did you hear that in "Livin Da Life" with the little kid at the convenience store? That was too funny
Old 04-15-2004, 01:32 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

I cant really see the fitment problems. Are there gaps or what ?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:40 PM
JFritz

Originally posted by 35ounces
I cant really see the fitment problems. Are there gaps or what ?
No fitment problems, the wing fits great. The wing just has, a rippled effect, like if you rub your hand over it, it's not smooth.

Thanks for everyone's support so far. If anyone else can give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Moroccan_Mole

make friends with a painter. i would never bring a body kit / car to be installed/painted by anybody i didn't know.

1. walking randomly into a shop, even if you're a past customer ... you're gonna get charged out the a$$. no offense but $330 to paint and install a spolier is entirely way too much.

2. if somebody is your friend they will make sure to do things correctly on the first try. and if something turns out not 100% correct, they can fix it for you without the headache of arguing with some random bodyshop manager.

edit. from your pictures it looks like they didnt buff the spoiler or it's missing clearcoat right there.

Last edited by Moroccan_Mole; 04-15-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:48 PM
hfm

Default Re: HELP! MY (Painted) NISMO WING SUCKS (Pictures)

Originally posted by JFritz
Please give me some advice if I'm out of line here.
I paid $200 for the wing. Paint, prep and installation was $550. Prep took a lot of time and that's why the bill was so high. My body shop guy spelled it out for me as to just how much prep was involved because I was pretty irritated that I would have to pay more than twice what the wing cost to have the damn thing painted and installed.

It's all in the prep because of the fiberglass and it's a replica. On top of it all, even with a quality job done, there is a clear imperfection in one of the notches by the base that is common to a lot of the replicas that wasn't worked out. But, it is what it is and I was ultimately satisfied with the result and I understand the cost.

What you should be concerned about is that the body shop guy lied to you about what he claims your dad said. That's what you need to focus upon because they f'd up by not doing the proper prep in the first place. I think you should have to pay for the proper prep that you would have had to pay for in the first place. But, you shouldn't have to pay for the re-paint and clear coat since it was their goof.

And, you should seriously look at other shops in the future.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:49 PM
bixby

Originally posted by Moroccan_Mole
make friends with a painter. i would never bring a body kit / car to be installed/painted by anybody i didn't know.

1. walking randomly into a shop, even if you're a past customer ... you're gonna get charged out the a$$. no offense but $330 to paint and install a spolier is entirely way too much.

2. if somebody is your friend they will make sure to do things correctly on the first try. and if something turns out not 100% correct, they can fix it for you without the headache of arguing with some random bodyshop manager.

edit. from your pictures it looks like they didnt buff the spoiler or it's missing clearcoat right there.
Take your dad with you on Monday so that he can deny the guys story to you.

Frankly, I would of taken it to them myself to confirm what was being done. But hey, thats just me.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:08 PM
JFritz

Originally posted by bixby
Take your dad with you on Monday so that he can deny the guys story to you.

Frankly, I would of taken it to them myself to confirm what was being done. But hey, thats just me.
Yeah, I was out of town when my dad took the wing down there, but I think I can trust him.

HFM: (Just replying to your thread in a positive manner) You said the painter told you that there was a lot of work for prep? There is literally only about 3-4 square feet to prep on this wing.

Every single place I went to quoted about $60.00 in paint supplies. So if they're charging about $45.00/hour for labor. $550 would mean that almost 11 hours was needed to prep/paint/install it. I just can't justify it. It only takes 1.25 hours to drill 4 holes and install the wing. If prep takes maybe 2.5 hours, then painting, maybe 2.5 hours, it just shouldn't cost more than $350.00.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:13 PM
hfm

Originally posted by JFritz
Yeah, I was out of town when my dad took the wing down there, but I think I can trust him.

HFM: (Just replying to your thread in a positive manner) You said the painter told you that there was a lot of work for prep? There is literally only about 3-4 square feet to prep on this wing.

Every single place I went to quoted about $60.00 in paint supplies. So if they're charging about $45.00/hour for labor. $550 would mean that almost 11 hours was needed to prep/paint/install it. I just can't justify it. It only takes 1.25 hours to drill 4 holes and install the wing. If prep takes maybe 2.5 hours, then painting, maybe 2.5 hours, it just shouldn't cost more than $350.00.
The paint was about $120 (yes it's expensive, perfect match and half a pint left over for other applications so it's fair). Installation was about 1.5 - 2 hours at $65/hour. Prep took about 4.5 - 5 hours. The guy I go to is by no means cheap but he does A+ work. You're right, you can get it done cheaper. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Traffic

$330 still sounds like a lot, even for high quality work. I didn't even pay half that for a whole Veilside front lip two-tone paint and install.

But since you got a replica there's going to be extra prep. Next time around, get the real deal, so there's less (if not zero) prep work that needs to be done.

Even so, there's no excuse for charging you that much and still doing a poor job (even if I can't see it from the pictures). I strongly suggest you frequent another shop in the future.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:56 PM
peterhong

Talk to the owner on Monday and see what he has to say. If you get the runaround again (which you probably got the first time), tell them that you will be looking into some legal options cause $300 on top of the $330 you already paid is ridiculous. Ask them if they are a member of the BBB and get their license information (which should be in one of the offices) and tell them you plan to pursue the matter to completion.

Also, by looking at the second picture, that paint job looks horrible. Almost like they just hung the wing on a wire and spray painted it without even wiping it down, let alone prepping it at all.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:44 PM
all_bark

not to rub saalt in your wound but when I had my front bumper repainted under my insurance plan ($250 deductible) I also dropped off my veilside ver. 1 front lip and my nimso spoiler.

guess what...all the prep and paint was performed for FREE!

that is what I call a cool bodyshop!

btw- it came out awesome.

good luck in the fight, i believe they should redo it for free....(or should i say the original quote)
Old 04-15-2004, 11:02 PM
juhko

JFritz,

Even with the history you have with this shop, unless the owner knows you by name I'd bring your Dad because the owner will most likely stick up for his employee's word.
Did you get an itemized invoice? If so, you should be able to point out the inflated line cost. In any event, going to small claims court is a pretty sure way to get your money back. It would suck, but if you have to get it painted elsewhere be sure to bring a few quotes from different shops to the court appearance. That's an obvious extreme so just be cool and unless your Dad is laidback, make sure he doesn't get too carried away when he comes with you on Monday.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:48 AM
tsixr

Sorry if this is off topic, but I was planning on buying the nismo wing as well and was wondering if the wing will cover the holes left by the factory spoiler? Thanks!

Quick Reply: HELP! MY (Painted) NISMO WING SUCKS (Pictures)