Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in dash driving me insane!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:06 PM
johanna1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in dash driving me insane!!!

I have this noise that squeaks in the dash that just drives me insane while driving. You would think paying this much for a car you would not have any rattles. I took it to the dealer to see what they could do but they said if they did do it the dash probly wouldnt fit back right when put back on and also he even amitted that they would probaly scratch it up. I just want the noise to go away but dont want to have dash looking like crap. Anyone else have this noise. What did they say was making it? I have heard lots of people compaining about this same thing. What do you do with this problem?
Old 05-31-2004, 01:17 PM
fuzion

I had this problem as well. It was more noticeable when the car was cold.

To tell you the truth since its warmed up (NY here) the rattle just disappeared. Didnt touch anything. Hope you get it resolved.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:21 PM
catchingzzzz's

I'm having the same problem with the dash. I will be taking to the dealer sometime this week, and as far as them saying that they would not be able to fit it back on probably...I would go to another dealer if I was you...cause I think that's bull. They need to fix it PERIOD.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:59 PM
xchriz012x

i have a noise from the doof panel. it drives me crazy too.
sometimes i get very frustrated and hit the door few times...still won't do any good. i'll be taking it to dealer soon.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:02 PM
350black

Originally posted by xchriz012x
i have a noise from the doof panel. it drives me crazy too.
sometimes i get very frustrated and hit the door few times...still won't do any good. i'll be taking it to dealer soon.
Doof panel???? I got a lot of rattles, but I do not think I have one there.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:20 PM
samw1978

I have rattle on my rear view mirror but that's it...
Old 06-01-2004, 01:04 PM
redva350z

i thought i had a vibrating sound coming from my dash and i had my brother in the car and it actually turned out to be the rear view mirror too. it stopped when he pushed on it, now to figure out how to keep it that way. i also have one, that sounds like its coming from the rear somewhere, i'll have to get them to look into it on thurs while getting the tire feathering crap done.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

rattle behind stereo.

Bat™
Old 06-01-2004, 03:44 PM
silverstoneTT

johanna is the noise coming from around the front almost, where the defroster air comes out of?
Old 06-01-2004, 04:06 PM
KShep

Some have fixed the rattle from the front defroster area by stuffing black felt in there. For others the security light is the culprit, don't know the fix for that. Mine are the two side vents that are still resonating the most annoying sound at start up and then intermitently, hot or cold weather, worse when it was cold.
If anyone has a fix for this, please advise. Local dealership incompetent. HTH...Kenny
Attached Thumbnails Noise in dash driving me insane!!!-vent-rattle.jpg  
Old 06-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Grommit

I 'fixed' my rear view mirror rattle by taking it apart and putting one layer of electrical tape around the lip, (the part that slips/clicks into the rest of the mirror), of the front bezel. I used 3/4 inch wide tape that I cut in half to about 1/3 of an inch wide. I had to use a razor blade to cut the excess tape off the slots where it latches to the back half of the mirror. (I wish I took pictures!)

Anyway, my rear view mirror has been dead silent for over about a month now. Now the only rattle I have is in my passenger side door and that is something I'm going to have the dealer look at.

Soon I'll have silence!
Old 06-01-2004, 05:32 PM
silverstoneTT

"Local dealership incompetent. "
Thats all the dealers. And if not incompetent, i just dont trust them. Theyll scratch everything up.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:35 PM
skong

Originally posted by Grommit
I 'fixed' my rear view mirror rattle by taking it apart and putting one layer of electrical tape around the lip, (the part that slips/clicks into the rest of the mirror), of the front bezel. I used 3/4 inch wide tape that I cut in half to about 1/3 of an inch wide. I had to use a razor blade to cut the excess tape off the slots where it latches to the back half of the mirror. (I wish I took pictures!)

Anyway, my rear view mirror has been dead silent for over about a month now. Now the only rattle I have is in my passenger side door and that is something I'm going to have the dealer look at.

Soon I'll have silence!
Grommit, I have the exact problem, the rear view mirror is the culprit of the rattling...can't the dealer fix it for you, why fixing it yourself?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:05 AM
Grommit

I like to do things myself.

well, my friend took his Z in to get his rear view mirror fixed and all the dealer did was replace it with a new one which, sure enough, started to rattle again a few weeks later. I don't think dealers 'fix' the mirror, they just replace it.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:35 AM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by samw1978
I have rattle on my rear view mirror but that's it...
I had the same rattle. For the longest time I thought it was the dash but it turns out the noise coming from the mirror and bouncing off the windshield/dash making it hard to source.

Personally, I found squeezing the left side of the mirror (ie: squeeze top and bottom together) completely kills the noise. It looks like the front 1/2 of the mirror is not properly seated with the back 1/2. Sometimes when it's cold the noise is back but a quick squeeze stops it again.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:51 AM
dragonbz99

i had a rattle, not really rattle liek squeaky noise when i went over bumps it came from the 3 gauges. i held them with my hand and the sound woudl go away. either it went away or i dont mind it any more. Also, the rattling from the roof, coulld that be your sunglasses? cuz thats what i had and it turned out to be my sunglasses
Old 06-02-2004, 08:45 AM
SilverstoneZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my navi door was making some noise for a while but now it stopped.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:03 PM
redva350z

thanks grommit i'll have to try that and i happen to have some electrical tape, how hard was it to take the mirror apart? thanks man
Old 06-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Grommit

It was pretty hard to take the rear view mirror apart the first time since I didn't know what it looked like. There are three clips on the bottom of the rear view mirror. I got a thin flat screw driver and pushed it into the bottom/middle of the mirror at an angle, pushing it towards the back of the mirror. That took the first latch off and then the rest snapped off.

If you do take it apart, please take pictures so people can see what it looks like. I wasn't even thinking of taking pictures since I didn't know others would be interested.

Just be sure to take things slowly!
Old 12-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Charles Field

Smile rattle

Had rattle in dash,could not tell where from. One day while parked and engine off, hit dash with fist and it made the noise. Laid in passenger side with head on floor and feet over back of seat. Hit dash with fist,made rattle, continued to hit with fist and stick hand up into back of dash untill touching place where rattle was(Dash strut) and guess what, it stopped. Stuffed a kids toy doll pillow in that sucker, hasn't rattled since

Quick Reply: Noise in dash driving me insane!!!