Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preliminary Install Rollbar/semi-cage

Old 06-03-2004, 11:34 AM
jimster716

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preliminary Install Rollbar/semi-cage

My friend, Mike, has a fabrication shop (Bullet Fabrication) in Gardena, CA. We're trading professional expertise so he is building my rollbar/semi-cage per SCCA specs with 4130 chromoly. He usually works on domestic NHRA spec dragsters but oddly enough the fastest car he's worked on (built the tubeframe chassis) is the Bergenholtz Mazda running 8.20's in the 1/4 mile.

The pics are from today at about 40% completion. He still has to do the main hoop diagonal, harness bar, door bars (clevis mounted from removal), subframe connectors, and a diagonal from behind my seat to the front of the passenger seat footwell (clevis mounted). I will have more pics when it's completed.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:58 AM
04_CS_Z33

Looks impressive. How much would something like this cost if you weren't good friends with the person fabricating the cage?
Old 06-03-2004, 12:11 PM
jimster716

Originally posted by 04_CS_Z33
Looks impressive. How much would something like this cost if you weren't good friends with the person fabricating the cage?
Thanks. Well the whole setup was custom sized for me while I was in the seat (you can see the tape with writing on one of the pics). Something like that would be probably be over $1200 depending upon labor and pipe costs. Luckily he and I go back about 10 years.

BTW...He refuses to do a mass production bolt-in kit because it would compromise quality and safety in his opinion and experience. He also doesn't want to create a kit with semi-properly sized pipes with no fish-mouthing for connections because it would still require fabrication work which he doesn't want to be held accountable for. So for you Cali peeps, if you're interested, just stop by the shop (PM me if you want contact info).
Old 06-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Wicked4u2c

Nice!! Must suck if for some odd reason you have to sell the car... must be a ***** to take out... What kind of racing are you going to do? Sorry if you already posted above just kind of browsed through it quickly...
Old 06-03-2004, 01:55 PM
jimster716

Originally posted by Wicked4u2c
Nice!! Must suck if for some odd reason you have to sell the car... must be a ***** to take out... What kind of racing are you going to do? Sorry if you already posted above just kind of browsed through it quickly...
I won't be selling the car (drive it till its totaled). Hopefully I will be one of those guys with a cherry 350Z at the autocross events 20 years from now like the guys with the 240Z's now.

I do autocross at least once a month and then I go to the road courses when time/money permits.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:59 PM
jimster716

Ok it was finally completed today. Here are pics (there is one diagonal piece not in the pictures which extends from behind the driver at the top to the passenger footwell which is clevis mounted for removal when I have passengers). The welds are awesome and the design was incredible...far more than I expected.