Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to remove and re-apply B-Pillar peices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 08:03 AM
KrazY-2K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible to remove and re-apply B-Pillar peices?

Not that I'd want to, but just curious if there's a way to get them off if I ever so needed to one day. With that 3M adhesive, there's NO way it looks like they're coming off. I tried pulling on them while installing and I felt like I was gonna rip the B-Pillar itself off! Also, If I were to remove them, would I be able to put them back on? Anyone know?
Old 06-05-2004, 12:19 PM
SQUILL

Default Re: Possible to remove and re-apply B-Pillar peices?

Originally posted by KrazY-2K
Not that I'd want to, but just curious if there's a way to get them off if I ever so needed to one day. With that 3M adhesive, there's NO way it looks like they're coming off. I tried pulling on them while installing and I felt like I was gonna rip the B-Pillar itself off! Also, If I were to remove them, would I be able to put them back on? Anyone know?
I Think the stick on CF b piller covers are on to stay. I tried removing mine which also use 3m adhesive however no luck.

I did pull to hard on the Stick on CF cover and the entier B pillar came off the car completely and i was like OH $H!T!!! Not to worry they attatch with plastic pop rivits so i just poped the piece back on with no problems.

I ordered new b piller covers after talking to rich at elegant wood design i am going to have them do the diping method(just like the dash pieces in the pictures) to my new b pillars in silver carbon fiber print. Rich said he could remove the old CF stick on covers with a solvent however I didnt want to drive around without b pillers while i am waiting.

I just wanted to point out the stick on b piller covers i have now are not from elegant wood design they were from e bay and pretty cheap but they do use the same 3m adhesive.

So Krazy after talking to rich it sounds like there is a solvent that will remove those b pillar covers however i dont know what king you should contact rich at elegant wood design and ask him!
Old 06-05-2004, 01:52 PM
KrazY-2K

Interesting, thanks for the reply. You don't suppose using a hairdryer on the B-Pillars for around 5-10 minutes would allow the adhesive to loosen a bit?
Old 06-05-2004, 02:07 PM
SQUILL

Interesting, thanks for the reply. You don't suppose using a hairdryer on the B-Pillars for around 5-10 minutes would allow the adhesive to loosen a bit?
No idont think it would help man i pulled so hard trying to get that stuff off the inside of the CF cover started ripping apart from the inside you know like de laminating. Probably only some kind of strong solvent would get that 3m adhesive to come off ....FYI replacement b pillers will run you about 80 bucks if you give up like i did!

Whatever that 3m stuff is i am amazed at how strong it is its like crazy glue or something!
Old 06-05-2004, 02:33 PM
CC 350Z

I just got some CF B-Pillars and there are no instructions on installing them. They have the adheasive on them and I'm not sure how to remove the stock ones and install these new ones. If anybody could let me know how to remove the stock pillars and install the new ones I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-05-2004, 06:25 PM
KrazY-2K

Bagel: I'm not sure I've heard of complete replacement B-Pillars, but the ones I have are covers that go over the stock B-Pillars.
They are pretty simple to install. Just remember to lubricate the b-pillar with a diluted solution of soap (I used Dawn) and water. DRENCH the car's B-Pillar in it then peel off the adhesive on the covers and stick them on and position the cover into place and hold it there for about 30 seconds to one minute so the cover starts to stick. After that it should dry fairly quickly. These things are not coming off once they're on! Hope this helps.

SQUILL: I heard 3M was tough adhesive, but damn that's an understatement!
I realized that my passenger side B-Pillar cover is about half a centimeter off to the right and was hoping to find a way to move it just a little more left. Can't really notice but it's for my peice of mind
I'm gonna try using a Hairdryer tomorrow to see if that does anything... Hopefully I can get the B-Pillar to move just enough to make it look right. Thanks again
Old 06-05-2004, 06:46 PM
SQUILL

I realized that my passenger side B-Pillar cover is about half a centimeter off to the right and was hoping to find a way to move it just a little more left. Can't really notice but it's for my peice of mind
I'm gonna try using a Hairdryer tomorrow to see if that does anything... Hopefully I can get the B-Pillar to move just enough to make it look right. Thanks again
Good luck you're going to need it!!
Old 06-05-2004, 09:19 PM
CC 350Z

Bagel: I'm not sure I've heard of complete replacement B-Pillars, but the ones I have are covers that go over the stock B-Pillars.
They are pretty simple to install. Just remember to lubricate the b-pillar with a diluted solution of soap (I used Dawn) and water. DRENCH the car's B-Pillar in it then peel off the adhesive on the covers and stick them on and position the cover into place and hold it there for about 30 seconds to one minute so the cover starts to stick. After that it should dry fairly quickly. These things are not coming off once they're on! Hope this helps.

Thanks... is what I figured but I just wanted to make sure.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:13 PM
pinnacleliquid

Default Some instructions that should have been with your B pillars

GUIDELINES FOR A SMOOTH INSTALLATION

1. Make very sure that all cosmetic preparations have been cleaned off the surface where you want to put the dash panel. Most car dashboards are painted at the factory and require very little preparation. Others may be simply colored plastic. These must be cleaned more thoroughly. Mold release may be present. If you attempt to install the dash panel on a surface that has not been cleaned properly, it will not stick for very long, if at all. Test the surface with a piece of scotch tape or masking tape for good adhesion. If you ignore this step and just try to stick it down to a slick surface, you will transfer the oil or silicones to the adhesive, which will drastically reduce its holding power. The adhesive when contaminated this way ruins the part and voids the warranty on that part. TEST, TEST, AND TEST AGAIN!! For exterior parts use a wax remover.
2. Installation should occur at temperatures of between 75 and 95 Deg. F. This is where all components of the product are easiest to work with. The vehicle should be the same temperature as the parts you will be installing.
3. Dry fit all parts first, especially bigger pieces that are hard to handle and position. Tip: Some installers use masking tape as a positioning aid. Cutting the tape and then using it to relocate the part accurately during the final application. It is a good idea to practice your moves before the final attachment of big pieces. Spraying lightly with Isopropyl Alcohol will give you some repositioning time but remember to make sure there is a good bond after it has evaporated.
5. Use Windex or other similar cleaner and a soft weave cotton cloth to clean the dash pieces. Apply the cleaner to the cloth only and then wipe. Do not spray any liquid directly onto the dash panel trim. Although this is the strongest adhesive system available, certain preparations such as Armor-All, or Nu-Vinyl contain silicones which when left at the glue seam may weaken the bond. Pieces that fail in this way are not covered by warranty.
6. Supplied with the dash kit is a tube of adhesion promoter for difficult and curved sections. Adhere the part within 20 minutes of using the promoter for maximum adhesion. Also supplied are packets of alcohol wipes. These are supplied as a courtesy to clean factory fresh cars only. They are not meant to be used to prepare the surface of a car's dash if it has been Armor All'd or received other similar treatments in the past. Again, see paragraph number 1.
7. The adhesive system used by Elegant Wood Design is 3M #4229-P. It is rated for demanding automotive use. This is the highest performance rating available from 3M. It is an exterior rated tape. It exceeds the performance of the industrial tapes offered by 3M and tapes used by other dash kit manufacturers. 3M specifies it as an 85% tape. It possesses 85% of its full strength upon initial tack. It builds bond to 100% at 70 Deg. F. over a 24 hour period. This is good to know during cold weather. In warmer weather the 100% bond time is shortened to a few hours. More specific figures can be obtained from 3M research.
8. Some kits will include additional instructions pertaining to that vehicle only.

Yeah it's dam strong tape. There is no solvent I know of to remove it. The only ones that work will melt the plastic too. I was planning to just slice it off and roll off the excess with my thumb. Take about a half hour.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:21 PM
KrazY-2K

Thanks for the instructions. Most of the peices I got to fit perfectly, but the passenger cf b-pillar is just a tiny bit mis-aligned. Oh well, pretty unnoticable anyways unless you really get up close and your eye manages to "concentrate" there.