Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Add a Wing to a Car That Understeers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 09:01 PM
nokidz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Add a Wing to a Car That Understeers

Just a casual observation. I do not understand why Z owners are adding a rear wing to a car that has significant understeer out of the box. The rear wing adds downforce (grip) to the rear wheels, making the understeering problem worse. It seems that the mod is more for show than go.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:22 PM
nisco

... depends on what the car is used for.....
and a wind doesnt really do too much untill youre hitting high speeds.... and usually when youre driving fast youre not turning... so that grip on the tires helps you from spinnin out
Old 06-13-2004, 09:31 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wings in general are laughable as a performance modification. few here have an actual tested and tuned wing. and even so, you need atleast 45+mph to really have enough wind to even dream of noticing a difference. youd be hard pressed to find a situation where you got understeer at 45mph, without sliding straight through the turn anyway.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:10 PM
GY-Z

what kind of wing are u talking about?
Old 06-14-2004, 06:34 AM
2003z

although I bought it for looks, my data systems wing allows me to be stable at 13psi on drag slicks. before the wing, 18psi was squirrely.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Alang

I would bet that 99% of the wings that are put on cars are for cosmetic reasons only. I would also bet that almost none of the wings out there were actually designed with aerodynamics in mind. Sure some of them copy actual racing wings from real race cars, but they are most likely non-functional at best, and more likely just mess up airflow rather than improve it. Since its probably only noticable at triple digit speeds, there is no real harm.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:26 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to bet... we know it for sure! I don't know no one wing which has any spesifications/aerodynamic data... If people buy if for performance, the'd like to know what exactly to expect from wing... since people buying them anyway even when no specs provided... we know people buying them for looks. And to provide any daya, wings need to be tested in wind tunels... why would manufacturers do that? To find out that most popular designs are the worst performance pigs?

Not sure about nismo thing... they suppose to be real sport thing... but judging by they other products (like nismo oil cap) I tend to think nismo are not better than rest of the wings... just more expensive
Old 06-14-2004, 09:42 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

For the added horsepower, naturally...
Old 06-14-2004, 10:07 AM
adanande

for the chick man dont' you know the girls dig the guys with the biggest spoilers duh?!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahha at least thats what going around beside a lot of STD's. J/k i"m wrong. I shopuld be gone
Old 06-14-2004, 10:59 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your onto something, one of my female friends asked why I didnt get a wing, cause they look so cool.

shes very excited about having a wing on her saturn. and extremely happy that her bf's accord has a wing as well.

owell; Id say Im happy with having less resistance, but that doesnt really matter to me either, fastest Ive ever gone was 133; it was only once. and I cant think of any good reason to ever go that fast again.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:07 PM
toykilla

keep the a$$ on the ground at high speed.. i could have used one for my wreck.. might still have the car
Old 06-15-2004, 04:07 PM
PhoenixINX

Who's Z understeers???

Not mine!
Old 06-15-2004, 04:15 PM
dczoner

The Nismo spoiler was actutually designed by the same company that designs the Gran Turismo video games (don't remember the name of the company).

They have a "VR" wind tunnel that they designed the entire Nismo kit upon. I read an article about the development of the kit somewhere, and its not really designed to provide significantly more downforce, but it also doesn't create that much drag either. Basically a zero-loss cosmetic upgrade.

Some wings however will increase drag, thereby reducing top speed drivability.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:11 PM
nuff

I've read a bit about the big rear wings and the effect they have on FR car like even one which understeers like 350z. It is to help keep the cars rear end down when you are exiting corner, which is going to allow you to apply more power to the ground without spinning the wheels and it's going to increase your exit speed.

If you consider that a lot of people here are lightening their cars and most of the weight lost if from the rear axle of the car, let's say space saver wheel, carbon fiber hatch with lexan window instead of glass. It's going to make the rear end of the car a lot lighter and it's going to decrease your exit speed, since you cannot apply as much power without spinning the wheels. But if you add a wing you'll be able to have the benefit of heavy rear end (down force generated by the wing), but without the negatives.

Hope it helps
Old 06-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great explination Nuff.

wings & spoilers are meant to "spoil" the air flow over the car.
most production cars and hatchbacks are shaped similar to an airfoil. with the air flowing over the top of the car, there is a tendancy for the rear to lift, simply due to the fact that the air flowing over the top of the car is faster than the underside.. there is a negative pressure zone, near the back of the car... a spoiler produces a separation of the air flow, which increases the air pressure over the rear end ..

true spoilers will affect drag..slightly, but at different locations over the car.. a simple deck spoiler might decrease drag over the roof by changing the overall air flow characteristics...but it will increase drag near the rear due to the reduction in the pressure on the rear end of the car...( the longer air can stay attached to a surface, generally the less drag.)

if its understeering, there are ways you can fix that. i.e. sway bars. aggressive suspension mods..

check out Race Car Vehicle Dynamics from William and Douglas Milliken .. its an SAE text book..

--Cheston

Originally posted by nuff
I've read a bit about the big rear wings and the effect they have on FR car like even one which understeers like 350z. It is to help keep the cars rear end down when you are exiting corner, which is going to allow you to apply more power to the ground without spinning the wheels and it's going to increase your exit speed.

If you consider that a lot of people here are lightening their cars and most of the weight lost if from the rear axle of the car, let's say space saver wheel, carbon fiber hatch with lexan window instead of glass. It's going to make the rear end of the car a lot lighter and it's going to decrease your exit speed, since you cannot apply as much power without spinning the wheels. But if you add a wing you'll be able to have the benefit of heavy rear end (down force generated by the wing), but without the negatives.

Hope it helps
Old 06-15-2004, 08:29 PM
GY-Z

Hope it helps
well said, thats the reason for the ugly GT wing.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:45 AM
Vlad

Ahem... From my experience, you either exiting tight corner on low speed and have wheelspin/fishtail/understeer, or you exiting fast corner on high speed and do not have any of above... Spoiler IS NOT WORKING on speeds where you have wheelspin and understeer. Common misunderstanding....
Old 06-16-2004, 06:58 AM
nuff

Vlad, it's from arodynamic books I've checked. Take it or leave it. I don't have a giant wing in the back to prove or disprove the above.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Vlad

Being an F1 fan I know the purpose of spoiler/wing is to create downforce to keep car glued to the track on high speeds. F1 car can go upside down (driving on the ceiling) at 180mph if I remember well. All that downforce became a liability when going fast on straight. So in F1 they adjust downforce from high on twisted tracks to low on fast tracks with long straights... Again, all the airdynamics start working at 100+mph, I recon.

I'm sure grand-am series Zs need wings to do better, but for street driving it's useless and just increase your drag. I think it's not smart to buy SOME wing and hope that it'll help SOMEHOW... And since no aerodynamic data available for any of wings for the Z, that's exactly what all wing owners are doing!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Vlad

Also as original post question hints if you put really working wing in rear, you'll need to balance the front's downforce otherwise you could find out hard way what aerodynamics is all about... Ever seen flying F1/IRL/Cart cars?

Quick Reply: Why Add a Wing to a Car That Understeers