Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real Nismo Wing installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 08:03 PM
MSGarrett1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by wick3d350Z
I will have to take a picture. It sits up pretty high. Its late tonight, I will go out and count up the lines on the back windshield and take a pic for ya tomorrow. I know looking in my side mirrors i dont see the wing at all. Through the rear view mirror it sits high but looks damn good. The sales manager at the nissan dealership is the president to a Z club of 100 Z's and said the real one looks a lot better from all angles and in the cab than the replicas. He said mine was the 2nd they have installed and he is wanting one now.
Two follow up questions/points:

1) As for my question about any modification to the rear hatch struts/bump stops, the problem some people were/are having with regard to the hatch not "popping up" the first time they hit the button is due to the added weight of the rear wing. The problem didn't exist before they had the rear wing installed. This has been a problem with the Japanese-spec (JDM) authentic NISMO wing and the replicas as well. However, as both the JDM and replica NISMO wings are made of fiberglass, and the US spec one is made of TPO material (same as stock bumpers), it might weigh less, and not cause that problem. Also, do you know if your dealership removed the rear hatch weight, or if the instructions call for this to be done?

2) As for the view out of your rear glass, it does look like the US spec wing takes up less of your view out the back. It must not be quite as high. Maybe this was a requirement for approval of the wing in the US. This might have been part of the delay in getting the US spec kits out. Nissan/NISMO has clearly redesigned the rear wing. The JDM and replicas sit right in the middle of your rear view like this:
Attached Thumbnails Real Nismo Wing installed-nismo-wing-rear-view.jpg  
Old 08-26-2004, 09:22 PM
rouxeny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an owner of a JDM wing, I have to say that I like the looks of mine a little more. Specifically, I like that the tips are touching the body, looks a little more tucked in. I've had the wing for over a year and there haven't been any rubbing or scraping issues. Admitedly, the JDM wing came with a kind of lame method of preventing that, by having those 1/4 inch black foam cushions which attach under the tips, but they seem to do the job and aren't noticeable unless you really look. I'm not sure how well they'll last, but I guess I can deal with that in the future.

The US spec wing definitely sits a little lower. The JDM one seems to sit right in the middle of the view out the rear mirror. It perfectly blocks out the headlights of the car behind you. I guess this can be both a good and bad thing.