Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you like replica aero parts?
I like knock-offs, they save me money
50.00%
I don't like knock-off kits, I want the real thing
50.00%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

How do you feel about replica aero parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Christobal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires and body parts are 2 entirely different subjects. Tires are something that serve a function purpose, body kits are for looks. Now don't even try to get me started by saying body kits are for your downforce, etc. If you have an original kit for downforce or AEROdynamics, GREAT, but every other joe schmoe has it for the LOOKS. Tires, turbo's , superchargers, fuel systems, audio, sheez, even leather seats, all serve a purpose, but spoiler kits are mounted on the car for LOOKS ONLY, and if it fits good and won't break or warp, BUY IT, and save your $$$$$$$$$$ for something that needs to be an ORIGINAL.

just my $.02 + a dollar.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is few other quotes that are similar in nature. Body work and quality of paint is very important to me whenever I decide to get a custom paint job for my older vehicles (ie MR2 etc). Anyways here it is:

"Good paint jobs ain't cheap and cheap paint jobs ain't good"

"It is good from far and far from good."
Old 09-12-2004, 09:56 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

i fail to see your point, performance/looks it all depends on how much you care about your car doesnt it? i suppose its good that you care more about performance then the exterior.

lets go back to the moral reasons, i want to hear arguments from that.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Moroccan_Mole

not all body kits are for looks only ...

several kits are functional and used in racing, top secret, c-west, air walker, ings ...
Old 09-12-2004, 05:21 PM
vice86

haha...love the sig Moroccan_Mole
Old 09-13-2004, 02:29 AM
Rampant

lets go back to the moral reasons, i want to hear arguments from that.
Not too much more to talk about, really. Some think it is stealing designs that others speant money to create. Others think it is providing a cheaper alternative to the original for a wider public.

The Japanese culture places a huge emphasis on honor and respect. Therefore, knockoffs are completely unheard of there and thought to be offensive.

The American culture, on the other hand, wants everything now, regardless of how they get it. Therefore, knockoffs thrive because it allows them to get something much cheaper than they usually would.

I personally like the honor and respect of the Japanese culture, but also understand the "why should I pay more" American mentality. I just wish there was a middle ground. Like knockoff companies using similar designs, but still different. It shouldn't be much to alter the design anyway. Then, we get the best of all worlds. Cheap kits for those that want something cheap. More product options. More reason to differentiate the original products. More incentive for companies to make higher quality products without worrying about design "theft." More Japanese support for our marketplace.

Now, the legal matters I am a little more curious about. I know people are saying it is illegal, but is it really? There is no patent (design or otherwise), so where is the legal issue? Knockoffs have been in the U.S. for an extrememly long time (fashion, watches, generic grocery store products, you name it). As far as I understand it, if there is no design patent, then anyone can copy it.

Now, if these companies are knowingly doing illegal "design theft," than I think the issue takes a different spin and everyone of these knockoff companies should be prosecuted (and the people who purchase their goods should be admonished).

In the end, you get what you pay for, so spend accordingly.

To me, cheap kits just make the car (and its owner) look cheap, and it makes me appreciate the original product even more.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:33 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

oooh i just got hit by a great analogy, you dress up your car with a bodykit, you dress up your house with art. its ok for you to buy a print from the artist, but its not right for you to print the picture out from the internet.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:49 AM
bulletproofBen
Banned

Well, I think most of you probably already know my opinion on this one. I've been talking about this for years on my350z and also a lot on s2ki.com as well. Aside from being a consumer and enthusiast over the past 10 years I also represent many of the innovators within the industry: Top Secret, VARIS, Ings+1, and many others. My business is responsible for ensuring that these brands continue to produce exciting new products and as their US liaison, it's my (Bulletproof's) responsibility to do all that I can to maintain a marketplace that encourages innovation rather than theft.

Not only will we never sell knockoffs, but we avoid doing business with other companies who sell knockoffs. I consider the practice of making a quick buck at the expense of someone else to be extremely unethical practice and the people who run businesses that sell knockoffs are generally not people that I'd want to be associated with. I particularly do not want to fund their ventures and encourage them to steal more designs.

Over the past year I've noticed a trend that many other businesses are also beginning to understand the negative impact that manufacturers AND distributors of knockoff products are making within the industry.

I respect those individuals and businesses who fight to protect the creative innovators both in the US and Japan by not selling knockoff parts or being associated with those that do sell knockoff parts.

As some have stated in this thread, I would love to see these producers of stolen designs start creating their own designs instead. Unfortunately the reality is that most of those businesses are out to make as much money as fast as they can. Producing original designs simply is not as profitable as stealing someone else’s, it never will be.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:59 AM
topsecret2001
Sponsor
Bulletproof Automotive

Originally posted by gq_626
if done correctly, you can't tell the difference between the original and replica. If done poorly, you can DEFINATELY tell the difference.
I've yet to be fooled by a knockoff. even if something could be made to look the same, I can gurantee you the durability won't be there. (meaning Top Secret runs their cars with their kits at speeds in excess of 200mph....knockoff kits flap and wave on the freeway at speeds of 60+mpg.....you do the math)

Last edited by topsecret2001; 09-13-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:22 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

word to the bulletproof guys.