Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Dr Bonz Lambo Door Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 07:05 AM
DrDrilZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once again looks good. one question tho, do you have to open the door horozontally first completey open, then go up? or can u just barely open the door then go up. im just wondering if you can open the door up if you are in a tight space.

by the way bonz, if your house STILL for sale?
Old 09-23-2004, 07:08 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great thread and comments! Finally had time to go back and read it all. Going to add a few of my own now that I see what's already been said...

First...Bonz, are you still trying to sell your house? I see the thingy is still on the front door?
Attached Thumbnails The Dr Bonz Lambo Door Experience-img_1313-small-.jpg  
Old 09-23-2004, 07:12 AM
mcduck

Second item... hopefully this will help clarify on some of the issues. This pic of Bonz hinge area shows where you have to space the upper mount of the hinge with washers. If you do not do this, the door will look sunken compared to the fender!

The other circle shows where the allen head bolt securing the hydraulic piston will rub if you do not round it off. If you install the kit, do not skip this step!!! I have now seen, in person, at least 6 other 350Zs with Lambo doors and every single one (including my driver side door only) have "outtie" dings where the bolt rubs the inside of the fender well. Some have not been as noticable, but they all have had it.

It's easy to show on my car, because I have it on the driver's side fender (where we uncovered the issue) and I do not have it at all on the passenger side where we knew it had to be corrected prior to mounting.
Attached Thumbnails The Dr Bonz Lambo Door Experience-img_1317-small-.jpg  
Old 09-23-2004, 07:22 AM
mcduck

Default replies to various comments...

Bonz said...
Now, for my impressions. All I can say is that they look AWESOME! Andy warned me that all those looks I got when the car (especially The Brick) was new will come back TEN FOLD! He was right. I cannot get out of this car without attracting a crowd. In fact, there have been times that I intentionally open the doors outward (the normal way) without lifting them so as to NOT attract attention.

hehe... why would you do that... the whole point IS to attract a crowd, right? It is pretty easy to open without lifting the door tho, if you don't want to attact attention...

Bonz also said...
The box they shipped in weighed 35 lbs so you do give up a little weight. My Procharger should be able to make up for it though
Sounds familiar.. the SC does make up for extra weight, doesn't it? However, I'm not satisfied... so in my case, I'm putting in racing seats very soon to offset the hinge weight gains!

G352NV said...
Can you go back to stock if you want?
and
bonz where can I find Andys info
Yes, keep the stock hinges and you can switch everything back... only permanent change is when you have to cut and roll the fender to accomodate the piston.
My comments were posted in another thread, but you can always PM me when you are ready to install and I'll send you the same info I sent Bonz.

Shagz said...
Someone needs to come up with a lambo hood. It'll be hinged to only one side, and can swing out on a horizontal axis.
hehehe... McDuck has a secret...
here's a hint... both are winter projects and body mods...

since I'm responding to Shagz comment you can guess what one involves...

the second... well, it begins with a "T" and let's just say it is not a sunroof...

I can't wait until next spring!!! 'nuff said
Old 09-23-2004, 07:24 AM
mcduck

once again looks good. one question tho, do you have to open the door horozontally first completey open, then go up? or can u just barely open the door then go up. im just wondering if you can open the door up if you are in a tight space.

by the way bonz, if your house STILL for sale?
hehe... Drilz and I both had the same thought at about the same time.

Anyway, if it will help, I'll try to get a video of opening and closing the door this weekend. Only problem is I'll need someone to host it.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:32 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Videos of Verticle Door operation
Old 09-23-2004, 07:48 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Clearance issue (solved by grinding down head of screw).
Attached Thumbnails The Dr Bonz Lambo Door Experience-clearance-issue.jpg  
Old 09-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

To answer Drilz question, no you cannot start the door on the way up until it is opened outwardly first. If you let it go up too soon, you will ding the inside of the door panel on the A-Pillar.

And yes, I guess my house still is for sale but we aren't really going all out to sell it. If someone wants it, I guess I will sell if the offer is right though.

As for that video, my question to Andy is this. Can you just slam your door shut after it is back down in the normal position and have it close like it did in that video? I sure can't. I have to apply a downward pressure on the door while I swing it shut or else it sits up just a bit too high (due to the air shocks trying to lift the door a bit) and the outside of the lock mechanism bangs on the latch.

Is this just a matter of the shocks breaking in and eventually they'll be just like in the video, or do I need to make some kind of adjustment?

I noticed that the other day (after less than a week on) the shocks wouldn't lift the door up unless I gave them a very slight nudge. When I first got them, they would almost pop right up without any help. After this apparent breaking in, it was really hot yesterday and they popped up again. I assume the increased temp caused the air in the shock to expand and made them "more powerful" until the temp went back down. Anyone else ever see this?

Finally, Andy won't tell us what new mods he has in store for fear that I'LL BEAT HIM TO IT!!!!

Good luck Brickyard Bro!

Last edited by Dr Bonz; 09-23-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:36 PM
mcduck

Bonz... c'mon... I thought we were on the "mod-exchange program". You do something I like so I repeat it and vice versa.

As for the doors, yes I must apply just a little down pressure to get them to close cleanly. If I do not, they will close most of the time, but there is a very unsatisfying "klunk" when the hinge and lock mechanism don't align right. I am able to close mine perfectly almost every time now.

Also, here's what I noticed about the pistons (and it makes perfect sense). In warmer weather (say 85 degrees and up), my doors have a big tendency to pop up. As you get cooler, they tend to stay in the normal position until you give them a little nudge. I think expansion/compression of the gas/liquid in the piston causes this. Surely after much repeated use, it will tend to stay down more, but all things equal I think the doors will have more of propensity to pop up the hotter it is outside. Just my .02 on the subject.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Beaker02

Looks good Doc!
Old 09-24-2004, 02:57 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Andy, that's my experience exactly. So how did the guy in the video do what he did?

He just pushed the door and it swung closed without ANY downpressure. I wish my would do that.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:22 AM
mcduck

I'd like to answer your question Bonz, but I can't get the gals off my car long enough to get the doors closed!
Attached Thumbnails The Dr Bonz Lambo Door Experience-dsc00424sm.jpg  
Old 09-24-2004, 10:36 AM
JPizzle

Doc, the video shown is the Vedah/Decah. I have that kit, and it permits me to "slam" close (but I do try to take it easy :P). It's all a very smooth motion for me, I'm not too familiar with the kit you have though.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Wow Andy. She's gorgeous! Girlfriend?

Thanks Piz!
Old 10-01-2004, 03:37 PM
B-Unit

Fokin lambo doors are the S%$T. Nice man
Old 10-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Any one know of any reason these kits wouldn't work on my roadster?
Old 10-25-2004, 11:35 AM
mcduck

Wow Andy. She's gorgeous! Girlfriend?
Not yet... let's just say we are in negotiations and it's looking like a win-win... hehehe

At worst, she might just wind up being Ms. ZDayZ next spring.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:44 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks awesome as always Doc.

Victor
Old 10-25-2004, 01:38 PM
pimp1911

mcduck=pimp. Nice.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Rayden2001

Looks good. I wonder how it would fit with the top secret widebody kit?

Quick Reply: The Dr Bonz Lambo Door Experience