Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:34 AM
ExtaZ33

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How To: Fiberglass

I was wondering if there was a how-to manual or some kind of online instruction. I want to make a few things out of fiberglass and then have them painted to match my exterior, but I don't even know where to begin. I don't really have anyone to show me, so is there anyone that knows where I can find some free help online or maybe a book on it?
Old 10-13-2004, 11:35 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no links; but generally you take a negative mold of what you want to make. then wax it or make it from styrofoam/wax something that can be cracked away.

now lay sheets of fiberglass onto it and paint it with epoxy. add a layer of fiberglass untill it reaches your ideal thickness.

last step, sand the freakin hell out of it.

carbon fiber is the same process I beleive; but only 1 layer to keep the weave. fake carbon fiber is 1 layer of carbon fiber; and then multiple layers of fiberglass behind it for strength.

you can buy it as 1 mix; its basicly a very thick epoxy filled with glass fibers for some strength. I find this to be rather lumpy though.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Moroccan_Mole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

google is your friend.

ares sorta has it ... but not really.

you have resin (looks like tree sap) + a hardener. then you have sheets of fiberglass.

you mix the hardener with the resin ... it should be workable for about 15 mins.

you paint the resin on, lay down fiberglass, and then 'blotch' more resin over the fiberglass so that it's completely saturated. depending on what you're doing 2-3 layers should be enough.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:29 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ares
last step, sand the freakin hell out of it.

My neighbor molded speakers into the door panels of his WRX over the summer. He was out back for weeks sanding the panels, adding filler, sanding the panels ... They turned out really nice but it took alot of elbow grease to get the contours smooth. I have never done any fiberglass work before but the process looked very straight forward.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Moroccan_Mole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's very easy to do.

my first time trying it i repaired my air walker bumper/sides after bieng hit by some road debris. it took 2 days to repair the bumper and sides including all the sanding and most of the major body work. - most of the time was spent waiting for the stuff to dry!

one of the most important things (especially if working on the interior of the car) is to have a respirator otherwise just a particle mask will work.

i have pics on my camera of the process ... but i left my camera somehere and can't find it!!