Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seibon hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:45 AM
MikeyG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seibon hoods?

For those of you that have bought Seibon hoods, were there lots of small dents in the finish out of the box or was it completely smoooth like the OEM finish? I just picked up a used hood and when I had a chance to look at it in good light at home there were lots of small dents like you might expect from hail damage. When I asked the previuos owner, he said this is what it looked like new and all carbon hoods with the exception of one he had seen have the same appearance. Has any one else ever seen this?

Last edited by MikeyG; 09-22-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You bought it used. That should be enough info for you.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM
350z-Jason

they dont come dented.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
fart_canon

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Old 09-22-2008, 01:01 PM
MikeyG

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Yah seems a little fishy looking back on it. It was overcast and at about 6:15 at night so there wasn't great light and he had his Z covered in the garage with the hood sitting on top upside down. he picked it up and flipped it over and put it back on top of the car. He pointed out the supposedly only problem which was a small chip at the front and then we looked at his car a bit. I told him I would take the hood and he picked it up and carried it over to my truck and went to put it in the back. At this point I was trying to help figure out how to put it in there and didn't really look at it much closer. I climbed in the back of my SUV while he passed the hood into me and the light caught a certain way and I noticed a few what looked like little dimples and mentioned it. His response was that is normal for carbon fiber. It didn't look like much of anything so I just went on home happy with my new purchase. As soon as I brought it into my basement where there was good lighting and put it down and walked around it about 50 nice little dings were staring back at me. I immediately sent him an e-mail to let him know there was a problem. He kept trying to tell me that this is normal and that he recieved the hood from Seibon that way and called them about it and they said it was normal, ah ok?

This was advertised as a used hood in good condition. He also later said the clearcoat was in perfect condition which I admit was in reguards to any fading. I would think this is definately something that would get mentioned though.

He then stated that he had a body shop look at it and say they could just sand it down and reclear it and get most of it out. Well I stopped by 2 body shops this afternoon and both said the same thing, no way to fix it without filling the holes and then painting. Not what I was looking for.

Hopefully he will omw up to this and it will go no further.

And so you have an idea of what I am talking about here is a pic. It was extremely difficult to capture any of the dings on camera as it is really completely dependent on lighting but I circled a couple you can see here and remember there are probably about 50 of these.

end rant...
Attached Thumbnails Seibon hoods?-100_3304.jpg  

Last edited by MikeyG; 09-22-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:33 PM
idrmofs7

def. used ALL my carbon has come completely smooth
Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Peteski

I would try and get my money back!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:14 PM
MikeyG

Originally Posted by Peteski
I would try and get my money back!

I have been trying, he is not cooperating. I emailed him as soon as I got home and saw the condition about an hour after I left his house but he doesn't seem to care and is now saying I agreed to buy it and it is a used hood. Big difference between a used hood advertised in good condition and a used hood that has to be filled and painted losing the carbon fiber. I am trying to give him the opertunity to make it right before I bring it out in public on the forum. I just can't believe someone would sell a hood in this condition and am amazed that they would take advantage of someone when they know where you live.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:09 AM
MikeyG

Found this https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-in...d-problem.html

Seller knew the hood was no good. Just talked to my lawyer after she saw copies of all the threads and will be stopping there after work today. This will end up costing him a lot more than he got from the hood.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:16 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

let me get this straight? you went to pick up a hood....didnt inspect it well (6:15 and overcast, take a flashlight, florecent hand light, something), you then agreed on a price, no return policy was discussed and now you wanna go through an ordeal to include a lawyer......

sounds to me, you got what you paid for......

you sound like a tool....

- J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 09-23-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:31 AM
MikeyG

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
let me get this straight? you went to pick up a hood....didnt inspect it well (6:15 and overcast, take a flashlight, florecent hand light, something), you then agreed on a price, no return policy was discussed and now you wanna go through an ordeal to include a lawyer......

sounds to me, you got what you paid for......

you sound like a tool....

- J
If he wants to screw me over, I will gladly do the same to him. No return policy was dicsussed, he just said to let him know if there were any problems. I took that to mean let me know if anything was wrong.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:41 AM
350z-Jason

youre doing the right thing man... i'd be livid if that **** happened. z owners trying to **** over other z owner isn't right.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Peteski

Glad to see you called him out on this and posted his complaint, what an ***
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM
MikeyG

I just went to a 3rd and 4th body shop during my lunchbreak and all have said the same thing, can't be fixed. I gave him the oppurtunity to return it with no ill feelings or exposure on the site but if he wants to go the other route that's fine. Both the lawyers I use charge between $180-200 per hour so between the initial letter and at least one response to any reply will run him about $700 including the $300 that he got for the hood.

Here was his for sale thread https://my350z.com/forum/north-east/...ml#post6310124
Originally Posted by denic79
Im selling A seibon oem carbon fiber hood..I live 30 mins north of Boston In Billerica if anyone is interested on a local pickup..I was looking to get 300.00 for it.
It's in good shape. It only has 1 small chip on the edge of the hood and you cant really see it.
And here is a post I found from him from last year about the hood that is in the link above
Originally Posted by denic79
I bought a seibon oem hood about a year and a half ago. Well ive noticed that there have been more and more craters all over the top of the hood. Its getting pretty bad. I know its not suppose to do that. I sent some pictures to the vendor that I bought it from and he sent it to seibon. Well seibon wrote back and said its normal and that they wont do anything. So I wrote back to the vendor and basically told him it wasnt normal and it wasnt fair. So he emails me back and tells me to email some guy at seibon and tell him whats going on. I just want a new hood or my money back. Im not asking for a heart transplant.
It doesnt even fit well either it shuts tighter on the side of the drivers headlight and theres a big gap on the side of the passenger headlight. I could never get it to fit right. Now I have 2 problems with the hood. I dealt with the hood not fitting right but now all the craters I just want to throw the hood away. I havent even emailed the guy at seibon. I dont even know what im going to say because I have a feeling that hes not going to help me at all.
I wish the vendor would just send me a new hood.
And the one thing and first thing I specifically asked about when I got there was fitment because in a pm when I asked about it he said it was ok. I asked why he said ok and his response was he had to have the hood latch adjusted for it to close properly. I asked if the gaps were good because I couldn't live with it if they weren't and he said the gaps were perfect and that he was very **** about the fit. Another straight up lie based on his previuos post.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What color is your Z? If it's not black, it would look better painted to match anyway.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't possibly see how a lawyer will be able to fix this for you. How is the lawyer's hourly rate going to end up being anything but your bill?

I agree the guy maybe misrepresented the part - but you went and picked it up in person and had ample ability to inspect it prior to handing over any money.

I am not a shady seller, but if I was the seller in question and you told me you were going to get a lawyer over a $300 hood given the circumstances you've described, I would laugh at you and tell you to have at it.

My $.02
Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 PM
haeshik

Originally Posted by idrmofs7
def. used ALL my carbon has come completely smooth
Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 PM
johzp

Looks worse in his pictures then yours....I feel you on getting jipped, but cmon man....its not like he shipped it to you and you never got a chance to look at it. You even admitted to not checking everything, which is your fault and not his. You basically took his word for everything and while showing up to his house in person didnt care to inspect the hood. It wouldnt be fair to call him out because of this.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:29 AM
MikeyG

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
I can't possibly see how a lawyer will be able to fix this for you. How is the lawyer's hourly rate going to end up being anything but your bill?

I agree the guy maybe misrepresented the part - but you went and picked it up in person and had ample ability to inspect it prior to handing over any money.
In addition to the condition being misrepresented the fitment was also misrepresented which I specifically asked about and he said was ok, the only thing he had some difficulty with was adjusting the hood latch to get it to close properly wich he said he was able to get done. In his thread about this hood it clearly states that is not the case and it did not close properly and the seams did not match up. I will have no problems between the two of those problems, thanks though.

I really don't care about the $300 it is more about the fact that he would purposefully screw someone over like that, it just is not right.