Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Commentary on Premier Membership

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 07:15 AM
mcduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Commentary on Premier Membership

This started in a totally unrelated thread. I figured it may be more appropriate to stick it in its own thread even though some of it probably repeats items discussed before...

Originally Posted by kcobean
I'm not in any way implying that p0rn is what being a premier member is all about, but access to premier forums is one item.

Here is a more comprehensive list of premier member benefits:
I don't think this is the appropriate thread for this, but since you decided to roll it out...

* Premier Plaque below User Title
* User name Highlighted in BOLD

Things that should be available to everyone at no charge as they are on virtually every other forum on the web.
* Access to the Premier Members Forums
I guess that's a benefit... but what threads are in the Premier Members Forum that I cannot easily find looking elsewhere? Discounting the "Anything Goes" section and the "Monthly Raffle" section (see comments below), there have been exactly 19 posts this month. Yes, there have been so few I actually could go to the Premier section and count them.
* Ability to add Avatar
* Ability to add Profile Picture
* Ability to post and reply in the GroupBuy Section
* Ability to change User Title

Things that should be available to everyone at no charge as they are on virtually every other forum on the web.
* Unlimited Space for Message Attachments
* Private Messaging (Maximum Stored Messages limit raised to 250)

Kind of nice, but not really a benefit since everyone online likely also has email and can get as many messages as they need there. Besides, its not that hard to delete old messages and keep space available. I think this is only a benefit to sponsors who may get a lot of customer traffic via PM.
* Photo Gallery (20megs of space)
So far, the only real benefit you've listed. Nice if you plan to post a bunch of personal pics (car or otherwise)
* Optional inclusion in monthly Raffles/Giveaways (Your Choice)
Yeah... when do these ever happen now? There hasn't been a Raffle/Giveaway for over two months. If there has, there hasn't been any publicity about it stating who wins each time or what was given away
* Exclusive Website Articles How To's, Featured Rides, Event Coverage and more..
Yet again, stuff offered at no charge on other sites.
* Possible Selection as Car of the Month
??? Why the hell does it matter if you're a 'Premier Member' to be selected as Car of the Month? And when was the last time *this* happened? I haven't seen a Car of the Month in a year or more.
* Special Discounts from website Sponsors
I know this isn't something you really have control over, but there wasn't anything offered this month and only seven threads since the beginning of June discussing possible Group Buys... I don't think any were posted by a sponsor (just other forum members). Besides, most sponsors post this stuff in the regular forums anyway, so I don't need to be a Premier Member to see them.

Hope this helps.

No not really. I still don't see the value you're getting by being a Premier member. I still like things about this site (or you wouldn't see me come back and post), but I think its silly to tout "Premier Membership" as something special when it really isn't.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:12 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Andy,
This is good feedback on the premier services. Since you've payed the fee, what would you ideally like to see your money buying as a Premier Member?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:15 AM
toykilla

i think the big kicker is everying you are paying for is offered free on virtually all sites on the internet..

Last edited by toykilla; 10-27-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:28 AM
nicolaycastro

Great post, thanks!

I would think a better solution would be to charge like one dollar per current member, so that the premier member section would have more traffic, without any traffic many of the benefits are not realy benefits.

Just a thought.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:29 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by toykilla
i think the big kicker is everying you are paying for is offered free on virtually all sites on the internet..
That seems to be the common disgruntlement.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:37 AM
toykilla

I am not completely against the Premier membership idea, and it was something we had talked about for our site at one point in time.. We opted to keep things free (and open source) which is the direction the internet is heading on all fronts. Pay for content is pretty much dead.

The idea was good, but it was not fully thought through and/or executed properly.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:43 AM
mcduck

Hey Andy,
This is good feedback on the premier services. Since you've payed the fee, what would you ideally like to see your money buying as a Premier Member?
STUFF WE'RE ALREADY TALKING ABOUT...
don't use it, but I like the idea of the Photo Gallery. That to me is value added. Since I haven't looked at it I don't know if you can do this or not, but providing video webhosting for Premier Members up to certain size file would be nice.

Ability to change/add avatar, add profile pic, change user title should all be free for all members. This is pretty much a status quo set of options for 99% of the forums out there.

Get those monthly giveaways rolling again (or if they are rolling, do a better job of publicizing it). Chances are I won't win anything, but knowing you're actually giving stuff away will make this more enticing for current and potential Premier Members

Work more actively with sponsors to offer goodies at better prices. I'm thinking if someone is offering a group buy to all, work it out where premier members get an even better deal (either better pricing or something thrown in as an extra)

While 'featured articles' is something that can be put in a Premier section, I think How-Tos, event coverage, and Car of the Month are things everyone should be able to view. Those are kind of the nuts and bolts of an automotive forum and should not cost anything to see.

NEW ITEMS OF DISCUSSION
As mentioned above, video hosting would be a big plus. I've seen a number of threads where folks had videos and could not share them because they couldn't find a convenient place to host them. 50MB would be enough to cover most small videos you see posted here. Users should have ability to post and delete videos they have uploaded (so they can upload new ones later)

How about something substantial for joining? Maybe a free t-shirt or hat or static window stickers. Something in hand is kind mundane, but helps make you feel like you 'got something' for your money. This isn't a high priority, but if I had a my350z.com t-shirt I'd wear it.

A little more far-fetched. How about regional events? You have a forum section split up into regions. What about organing one meet in each area per year and offering Premier Members some benefit to attend. Maybe Premier Members get in free or get a meal discount at the meeting location (if held at a restaurant)?

Direct email to Premier Members (if they elect to receive them) of special offers set up by my350z.com with sponsors, about events, etc. Basically, a Premier Membership 'newsletter'.

Hmmm... close to lunch and I'm getting hungry. Probably could think of some more, but maybe that gives you some ideas to start with.

Last edited by mcduck; 10-27-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:37 PM
cessna

Hey Andy,

I'd like to have a ''spell checker''..... As you guys have seen, I CANT SPELL worth a damn!!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:46 PM
edtrax

Premier Membership. A while back, I was browsing through the site and noticed the appeal for becoming a premier member. Hey .. I thought. Why not. After all .. I've used the website a lot .. and .. what the heck.

So I did. Payed using PayPal for my login name .. eTraxx

What did I get you may ask?

Locked out. After taking my donation. Refusing to allow me back in under the eTraxx handle. I then re-registered and asked for help .. which went no-where.

It's like trying to deal with the Military .. like beating your head against a wall.

edtrax aka. eTraxx
Old 10-27-2005, 03:31 PM
toykilla

Originally Posted by edtrax
Premier Membership. A while back, I was browsing through the site and noticed the appeal for becoming a premier member. Hey .. I thought. Why not. After all .. I've used the website a lot .. and .. what the heck.

Locked out. After taking my donation. Refusing to allow me back in under the eTraxx handle. I then re-registered and asked for help .. which went no-where.

It's like trying to deal with the Military .. like beating your head against a wall.

edtrax aka. eTraxx
thats classic and typical
Old 10-27-2005, 09:44 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by edtrax

edtrax aka. eTraxx
I haven't heard anything about this. Let me look into this... this should be easily fixed.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:41 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Vic ever implements the "Thunderdome idea" PM will be more than worth it.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Vick781

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

all i want is a custom avatar lol
Old 10-28-2005, 10:16 AM
jeffw

I just renewed Car and Driver, Road and Track, and Motortrend for a year all for the grand total of $8. Motorcycle.com is just $11.94 per year and has way more to offer for the money as compared with My350z. $30 is just too much considering what you get.

My suggestion is to team up with other newsgroups for other makes/models of cars to split advertising revenue. The combined audience of several car sites should be enough to attract some big advertising income from big players and the sites could be free. Big companies would love to broker one advertising deal that would span several sites.
--
Jeff
Old 10-30-2005, 10:07 AM
DWS44

Originally Posted by mcduck
Ability to change/add avatar, add profile pic, change user title should all be free for all members. This is pretty much a status quo set of options for 99% of the forums out there.
What he said!

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it...it's crap to make folks pay for these most BASIC message board functions.

I like this board, which is why I hang out here, and I have nothing against a premium level membership, but basic message board options should be available to everyone.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:17 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Originally Posted by failsafe
If Vic ever implements the "Thunderdome idea" PM will be more than worth it.

?????
Old 10-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by DWS44

I like this board, which is why I hang out here, and I have nothing against a premium level membership, but basic message board options should be available to everyone.
Exactly
Old 10-30-2005, 10:47 PM
bamyi

I would definetly agree that I didn't felt like I got $30 worth especially in this day and age of the internet. What is this fee going toward? If its the cost of operation and salary then I don't mind so much since this is a quality forum with level minded moderaters. I would hate to see this forum take a dive due to lack of quality equipment and the mods that a lower salary would bring.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:50 PM
the7ferret

I agree as the benefits to membership are not worth the cost...

Perhaps thier are other steps that can be taken...
1. Donations...

2. my350z.com Store, trustworthy place that people could buy products, good avenue for inventors to sell items, possible conflict with sponsors...

3. Raffle... A motorcycle forum I used to frequent when I had my motorcycle would sell $5, $10, $20 raffle tickets for 3 different items. They would sell a minimum number of tickets instead of a doing it on a time basis... They would give away Gloves, Helmets, Exhausts, whatever they wanted... And the same people would buy more than 1 "ticket" . For example if you were to offer a popcharger, Retails at $110. Sell 50 $5 tickets minimum. $250 gross cash... $250-$110 = $140 left...
Old 10-31-2005, 04:56 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by bamyi
I would definetly agree that I didn't felt like I got $30 worth especially in this day and age of the internet. What is this fee going toward? If its the cost of operation and salary then I don't mind so much since this is a quality forum with level minded moderaters. I would hate to see this forum take a dive due to lack of quality equipment and the mods that a lower salary would bring.
You mean we get paid for this???

Quick Reply: Commentary on Premier Membership