Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Why does this site go down so often? (I'm pretty sure this msg gets moved)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007 | 07:18 PM
Spike100

Default Why does this site go down so often? (I'm pretty sure this msg gets moved)

I'm curious about why this site goes down (cannot be accessed) more than the "industry standard." It seems to happen a lot more than the other Nissan 350Z sites I access.

Anyone know why this happens on MY350Z.COM?

--Spike
Old 07-17-2007 | 07:24 PM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto
Premier Member

Yeah, i didn't freak out like i did the last time, but if it were business hours....and the outage forced me to go back to work....i'd be crying.
Old 07-17-2007 | 07:27 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

I didn't know what to do with myself a couple of hrs ago. We need a SLA (Service level agreement)
Old 07-17-2007 | 07:29 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Spike100
I'm curious about why this site goes down (cannot be accessed) more than the "industry standard." It seems to happen a lot more than the other Nissan 350Z sites I access.

Anyone know why this happens on MY350Z.COM?

--Spike
and what do you consider as "industry standard." Also have you noticed the amount of threads/pictures/members/BANDWIDTH on this site as compared to the "other Nissan 350Z site: you reference?

Maintaining a site this size is no small undertaking. This site actually goes down very RARELY as a matter of fact, but when it does it is usually for upgrades to make your time spent here more enjoyable, and to make the admins life a little less stressed.
Old 07-17-2007 | 07:32 PM
Chest Rockwell

Originally Posted by kwiker
Yeah, i didn't freak out like i did the last time, but if it were business hours....and the outage forced me to go back to work....i'd be crying.
Dude! I feel ya. The last time it went down during business hours, it was horrible! It forced me to finish all my work (who would thought I was capable of such production? ). And after that, I had to sign up for some other 350z website just to get a fix. I don't ever remember what it was called. I felt so dirty.

Last edited by Chest Rockwell; 07-17-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2007 | 07:34 PM
need Z

I don't worry about it.

1) Someone probably isn't watching it 24/7 to fix/put it back up if need be... if they even have the access to.
2) I guess if I used the site for personal business I would worry, but as I use it for entertainment and it doesn't cost me anything....
Old 07-17-2007 | 08:24 PM
GodZilla
Bad Mojo

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
and what do you consider as "industry standard." Also have you noticed the amount of threads/pictures/members/BANDWIDTH on this site as compared to the "other Nissan 350Z site: you reference?

Maintaining a site this size is no small undertaking. This site actually goes down very RARELY as a matter of fact, but when it does it is usually for upgrades to make your time spent here more enjoyable, and to make the admins life a little less stressed.
+1 on the so called industry standard.

BTW, It went down trying to fix another problem, go figure
Old 07-17-2007 | 08:28 PM
silvrhand
Lost in Transit
Premier Member

No,

We are here, we were working on trying to address the additional SQL load that the server was under by restoring a couple features. It's not like we have 4/5 spare machines to simulate load with so some things get tested at full load here.

Oh, try to simulate 1000 users browsing multiple threads with over 12G of attachements, and 5G of database, in your spare time cause you already have a full time job.

EDIT: Did I mention I was a bit grouchy
Old 07-17-2007 | 08:43 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z

Baloney... Get real... This site goes down more than what any decent programmer/administrator would rate as "normal/usual." BTW, I am a programmer.

"Industry Standard" is just that. A site selling something they brand as "Premier Member" status proclaims themself as "above average" to gain additional revenue.

re>: "This site actually goes down very RARELY as a matter of fact, but when it does it is usually for upgrades to make your time spent here more enjoyable, and to make the admins life a little less stressed."

And that effort would be in the middle of the night, and not in the late afternoon...Right... Wrong?

--Spike
Old 07-17-2007 | 09:06 PM
abyss

Baloney... Get real... This site goes down more than what any decent programmer/administrator would rate as "normal/usual." BTW, I am a programmer.

"Industry Standard" is just that. A site selling something they brand as "Premier Member" status proclaims themself as "above average" to gain additional revenue.

re>: "This site actually goes down very RARELY as a matter of fact, but when it does it is usually for upgrades to make your time spent here more enjoyable, and to make the admins life a little less stressed."

And that effort would be in the middle of the night, and not in the late afternoon...Right... Wrong?

--Spike
The site goes down maybe once every other week...and seriously so what if it does. If you can't live without forums for a couple hours once in a while then you have more problems than the site to worry about.
Old 07-17-2007 | 09:19 PM
silvrhand
Lost in Transit
Premier Member

This site does not go down weekly, sorry I can pull the bandwidth reports easily and tell you it doesn't.

--Spike
Old 07-17-2007 | 09:28 PM
nepox

good to hear, I thought for a second the site was under a DDoS attack by some bored kid far far away in his underground computer lab in Germany.
Old 07-17-2007 | 09:41 PM
maximumsportZ

I don't think email notifications are working at the moment..
Old 07-17-2007 | 09:44 PM
VN_350z
Banned

Here's the explaination why this site went down today
https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-off-topic/287461-after-all-www-my350z-com-is-just-another-99-cent-domain-name.html
Old 07-17-2007 | 09:46 PM
maximumsportZ

Old 07-17-2007 | 11:39 PM
tractng

I am curious what hardware you are running to support all of these? I am a systems admin myself supporting a college.

Tony
Old 07-18-2007 | 01:04 AM
Derek Dee

premiere membership...lol
Old 07-18-2007 | 02:03 AM
DanielW
Banned

i think the flux capacitor must have been acting up
Old 07-18-2007 | 02:31 AM
MasterRacer

blah bleh bleb who care the sites back up Thanks Admins for bringing
back life into my work day lol

PS I feel your pain, Ops Engineer here with Govt
Old 07-18-2007 | 09:43 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic
Premier Member

I read silvrhand's explaination in the referenced thread above and have absolutely no clue what he said. Might as well have been one of Pooky's posts in French! LOL!

Quick Reply: Why does this site go down so often? (I'm pretty sure this msg gets moved)