Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Requirements to post or make a thread?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
I come from a history of many owned VQ's and VQ forums...the rules here are just a shock to me as they are rather extreme.

thanks anyways.
You have to understand, though, that the forums rules are meant to protect its members. Scamming got BAD here for a while.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:30 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
So if you impose waiting requirements to post solely in the classifieds......why not forum wide?
It's been covered a few times Robin. Imposing a waiting period for regular thread posting has greater negative consiquences vs. good. The enacted rules in the classified section provides a greater positive impact vs. negative, by cutting down on scammers...
Old 09-02-2009, 04:57 PM
poolguy

Originally Posted by vo7848
I understand your passion sir. I am also sure you run a very legit business, which is note worthy. Forums however are a different entity. It is privately owned and not upheld to any state regulations, nor are it's business practices monitor by any regulatory entities. This is why Staff stays as vigilent as we do, with regards to classified ads. We are the "police" of the business, so to speak. Whatever transpires within the walls of the forum, stays in the forums. Although our vendors carry out transactions that cross state and country lines, we as a site do not venture out of this site to verify credentials. It is not feasible nor a time effective solution, for us as Staff, to perform background checks on those members who have not met the minimum criteria for posting classified ads. This site is extremely large and requires every Staff member to devote his time to issues directly within the confines of these virtual walls. This is why we have enacted certain rules in the classified section, rules to keep everyone honest, rules to protect the consumer.

The quote below is why our current classified section rules are as strict as they are...
The above post got me thinking. Good business ethics are hard to come by. I was thinking in the "perfect" world that "everyone" would act in business mannor. But that brought me to the saying "If it was so easy everyone would be doing it". Well it is hard for some people to uphold those ethics. So you are right, I apologize. I am a new "member" here but I have been lurking for quite some time. I must say you have done a great job. Since it all seems to be working well it is a good thing you do not change anything. Sorry again.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:06 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Vo7848's answers FTW.

Poolguy, this section was for all members to voice their opinions, along with suggestions. As long as we hold intelligent and mature conversations, you don't really have to apologize for sharing your thoughts.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:33 PM
poolguy

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Vo7848's answers FTW.

Poolguy, this section was for all members to voice their opinions, along with suggestions. As long as we hold intelligent and mature conversations, you don't really have to apologize for sharing your thoughts.
Yea I know. I don't know if you have seen but I try to keep all of my posts intelligent and mature but it is hard since people like to belittle the young guys (Which I am one of them). I apologized because it is the internet and you never know how people may react. Plus I did not want VO to take offense. Thanks though!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:20 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been covered a few times Robin. Imposing a waiting period for regular thread posting has greater negative consiquences vs. good. The enacted rules in the classified section provides a greater positive impact vs. negative, by cutting down on scammers...
What are the negatives.......you have less noobs registering solely to start a thread titled "What is a popcharger?"....???
Old 09-03-2009, 05:22 AM
buzzardmountain

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
I have been saying that for years.
Seems like common sense to me........
Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by poolguy
The above post got me thinking. Good business ethics are hard to come by. I was thinking in the "perfect" world that "everyone" would act in business mannor. But that brought me to the saying "If it was so easy everyone would be doing it". Well it is hard for some people to uphold those ethics. So you are right, I apologize. I am a new "member" here but I have been lurking for quite some time. I must say you have done a great job. Since it all seems to be working well it is a good thing you do not change anything. Sorry again.
Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Vo7848's answers FTW.

Yea I know. I don't know if you have seen but I try to keep all of my posts intelligent and mature but it is hard since people like to belittle the young guys (Which I am one of them). I apologized because it is the internet and you never know how people may react. Plus I did not want VO to take offense. Thanks though!
Absolutely no offense taken Poolguy.

You comments were very well constructed and thought out. I only have more respect for you now...
Old 09-03-2009, 07:05 AM
VO...
Administrator

What are the negatives.......you have less noobs registering solely to start a thread titled "What is a popcharger?"....???
The negatives are that it drives new members away. The bigger picture is, it's bad for business. This is why we have Staff policing the forums daily, to clean up the mess. We handle the dirty work, so you guys don't have to see it. True, we can't be everywhere at once and some of the "mess" does get seen, but we give it our best shot....
Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 AM
buzzardmountain

The negatives are that it drives new members away. The bigger picture is, it's bad for business. This is why we have Staff policing the forums daily, to clean up the mess. We handle the dirty work, so you guys don't have to see it. True, we can't be everywhere at once and some of the "mess" does get seen, but we give it our best shot....
I don't understand how it "drives new members away"....???

Maybe if this were 2003, 2004......and you had a waiting requirement, it may lead potential members to other 350Z websites due to impatience......

But it's 2009, my350z is the 800 lb. gorilla in the room.........all the other 350z forums are dead. It's not like some new 350Z specific site is gonna pop up and take all your new member traffic because you have a waiting period.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 AM
VO...
Administrator

^^ Yes, but we can't take that for granted...
Old 09-03-2009, 03:27 PM
poolguy

I don't understand how it "drives new members away"....???

Maybe if this were 2003, 2004......and you had a waiting requirement, it may lead potential members to other 350Z websites due to impatience......

But it's 2009, my350z is the 800 lb. gorilla in the room.........all the other 350z forums are dead. It's not like some new 350Z specific site is gonna pop up and take all your new member traffic because you have a waiting period.

I understand your point to the T. However you need to look at this in a business stand point. New members are obviously ready and impatient to start a thread (Clearly seen as they do not use search). So if they are ready and impatient to start a thread can you imagine if they joined the site and find out they can not post anything. They will just move onto the next site (Which will allow them to post right away). If they can't even read forum rules, I am talking about now. What makes you think they will read that they cannot post right away. Heck, I do not even read the agreements along with so many people. We just click accept. But remember, once one new guy tells 10 other new guys then those ten new guys tell another ten. You have 101 new guys right there moving to a new site. All because they were to ready and impatient to read the rules. So like I said, look at this as an employer stand point, not an employee stand point. I hope that made sense. Heck, what do I know though. I am an 18 year old who isn't even a mod .
Old 09-04-2009, 05:24 AM
buzzardmountain

I understand your point to the T. However you need to look at this in a business stand point. New members are obviously ready and impatient to start a thread (Clearly seen as they do not use search). So if they are ready and impatient to start a thread can you imagine if they joined the site and find out they can not post anything. They will just move onto the next site (Which will allow them to post right away). If they can't even read forum rules, I am talking about now. What makes you think they will read that they cannot post right away. Heck, I do not even read the agreements along with so many people. We just click accept. But remember, once one new guy tells 10 other new guys then those ten new guys tell another ten. You have 101 new guys right there moving to a new site. All because they were to ready and impatient to read the rules. So like I said, look at this as an employer stand point, not an employee stand point. I hope that made sense. Heck, what do I know though. I am an 18 year old who isn't even a mod .
This is a platform specific site........my350z........it's not like another 350z specific site will knock this one off the pedestal. Vo doesn't want to take that for granted, but, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Again, if this was 5 years ago, I could understand. The other 350z forums are DEAD/DOA.......so this "new member" either:

1. Realizes he can't immediately ask "what a popcharger is?"......so he runs off to another 350z forum to ask the question. Where he'll probably have to wait an eternity for a reply because they don't have that much traffic.......

or

2. While he's waiting to post here he can begin to search to answer his question which won't take near as long as asking on another site and waiting for an answer.

Anyhow.....I'll stop posting now as not to give the impression of a "malcontent"............
Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So if you impose waiting requirements to post solely in the classifieds......why not forum wide?
Agree. Automated software that will NOT allow new threads for 7 14 30 days whatever. Example: New members first post is a new thread titled

I am thinking about getting a pop charger?

This thread is worthwhile for who?
Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 PM
poolguy

This is a platform specific site........my350z........it's not like another 350z specific site will knock this one off the pedestal. Vo doesn't want to take that for granted, but, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Again, if this was 5 years ago, I could understand. The other 350z forums are DEAD/DOA.......so this "new member" either:

1. Realizes he can't immediately ask "what a popcharger is?"......so he runs off to another 350z forum to ask the question. Where he'll probably have to wait an eternity for a reply because they don't have that much traffic.......

or

2. While he's waiting to post here he can begin to search to answer his question which won't take near as long as asking on another site and waiting for an answer.

Anyhow.....I'll stop posting now as not to give the impression of a "malcontent"............
You are right! Do not get me wrong but I am willing to bet that they do not just get one new guy per day. I bet they get atleast ten. In one year that is 3650 new guys. That is plenty of heads to come up with a forum that is better than another.

A company has 100 employees. A group of 2 employees see how that business can run better and more efficient. They go off and start there own company. That company takes off and is now the competition. The whole point of business is to limit the competition so you get all of the profits. This happens EVERYDAY. All it takes is one person to branch off of this site to give it competition. Your looking at the short term. I will be very impressed if someone comes up with a better forum within 6 months. But give that one person time and he can sure give you competition. Remember, this site did not blow up to what it is now in one year. It took a few smart people and time.

Last edited by poolguy; 09-04-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:07 PM
VO...
Administrator

I understand your point to the T. However you need to look at this in a business stand point. New members are obviously ready and impatient to start a thread (Clearly seen as they do not use search). So if they are ready and impatient to start a thread can you imagine if they joined the site and find out they can not post anything. They will just move onto the next site (Which will allow them to post right away). But remember, once one new guy tells 10 other new guys then those ten new guys tell another ten. You have 101 new guys right there moving to a new site. All because they were to ready and impatient to read the rules. So like I said, look at this as an employer stand point, not an employee stand point.
^^ In a round-about way, this pretty much sums why we do not impose any waiting periods on posting new threads in the regular sectons. It's bad for business...