Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Virus and keyloggers on my350z

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened to me while not logged into the site. I just decided to browse the site last week without logging in using my work laptop. I clicked to enter the Engine/Drivetrain sub-forum, and got sent to the XP antivirus site. The web address didn't look like anything Microsoft would host, so I closed Firefox without clicking anything. I have since reset the settings on Firefox to clear all cookies every time I close the application, and while this could be coincidence, the issue hasn't resurfaced.

Will
Old 03-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my CC information stolen and used on Sunday. I don't see any viruses popping up as I run Microsoft Security Essentials /w Vista and FireFox. All ads on this pages are perm blocked.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
FRESH Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the spyware again last nite
Old 03-10-2010, 12:19 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven1
^^Then wouldn't it be prudent to post a "warning" thread in a more visited and visible area to warn people they can't find it and this site indeed is passing malicious code?

It's not a signature....its a seemingly random occurrence and you can track it by some posts as people posted when they got it or flagged the thread/post.

It kind of seems like this is no big deal to them and they aren't really putting too much time into it...it was first reported on 2/26.....

If something doesn't happen soon I will be canceling my account and Im sure many members won't be back (most of them won't be able to get it off their pc).
Perhaps, you're right. I'll go ahead and create an announcement of a sort explaining what happened.

The other stuff that were reported prior to this event are individual issues and/or different malware, although the one reported in late February may be related. However, at that time, it was a very few select people. Regardless, I apologize for the slow troubleshooting process, but I have no control nor do I have the expertise.

Below is OT and thus irrelevant to this thread. Feel free to ignore the bottom portion of this post. If you want to discuss this further (why?), then PM me instead of OT'ing this thread more.
Originally Posted by JEKL
So he was pushed out of his position on a forum that he contributed a lot to and decided to take all his information with him?

Sounds about right to me.
^ Fail.

First, you don't know what happened between MC, the staff members, the ex-owner of the site, and IB. So anything and everything you say will be uninformed, thus they are conjectures at best. Second, I cannot and will not discuss what exact events and occurrences led to his termination, but trust me.. he was made to leave for good reasons ( when was the last time you heard a good mod/admin get fired unjustified?). Lastly, his "contributions" were mostly Nismo info he had access to before most of us did, but the rest of us could still get the same info sooner or later from elsewhere. So, it's not like he actually did research on/for Nismo and was publishing his findings.

And let me put it this way: What if I were to go around deleting every post/thread/pic created by those who no longer visits (for one reason for another) this forum? How much info do you think we'd have? Needless to say, people would end up doing the same sort of research on bolt-ons, fluids, FI, etc. You think all the original FI guys who pioneered a lot of the stuff are still here?

You're failing to see the big picture or at least don't understand how forums work.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Driven1
Professional

Thanks 3hree5.

Your replies actually go a long way with helping the question of whether it is actually getting worked on.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:18 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Divergent13
And here I was thinking it was all the **** sites I was visiting.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 PM
calin
Banned

Thanks 3hree5.

Your replies actually go a long way with helping the question of whether it is actually getting worked on.
+1.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks 3hree5.

I'm keeping in touch with the IB techs, so I'll keep you guys updated as I get more info. I want this issue fixed as much as you guys, and hopefully before I leave for my trip next week.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Vroompsst

Just got it too

How do I get rid of it? Ran Spyware doctor like the announcement said but it costs 30 bucks. Thought it was free?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 PM
tware

Sorry, you guys with MS Security Essentials, that's not gonna cut it with this one. I know some people like it. It is lightweight on resources and all, but I've seen a few jacked machines running this recently. Was not able to remove this at all.

I know most of you know this, but just in case, Malwarebytes is a unique product that is not meant to replace your AV solution. It's meant to run along side of it and in more of an on demand fashion - especially with the free version. Rootkits get in under the AV and can easily disable your AV, or lurk around collecting data without any warning. Malwarebytes only really focuses on those threats. It's a must have, regardless of your AV choice.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:47 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

i got this twice on my computer in the last few days. Since I am the IT guy here it makes me look bad. Thats what I get for not installing adblock plus in firefox.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:35 PM
areddy

$@&*(&%, i swear the idiot organizations that make this crap need to be hunted down and shot in the face. why isn't any action taken against crap like this??

did anyone notice the "Antisoft Virus" program that runs tells you to go give your credit card information so you can buy the "complete" version??? isn't there any way for authorities to track that kind of crap down at the source?
Old 03-10-2010, 02:38 PM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Can we compile a list of the threads that this has come up in with specific page numbers? I want to cross reference them for correlating usernames.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:43 PM
quiksilver38

Originally Posted by areddy
$@&*(&%, i swear the idiot organizations that make this crap need to be hunted down and shot in the face. why isn't any action taken against crap like this??

did anyone notice the "Antisoft Virus" program that runs tells you to go give your credit card information so you can buy the "complete" version??? isn't there any way for authorities to track that kind of crap down at the source?
people who are stupid enough to pay deserve it.

-im gonna start booting in win7 instead of XP when in go on the Z forum
Old 03-10-2010, 03:06 PM
future350driver

I got it 2 days ago and i didnt know where it came from. So now i see the announcement. Wtf??? My sisters bf has my computer now and he cant fix it(hes an IT) he said it would take several hours to fix and to restore my pc. It blocked internet so i couldnt fix it. Im using my iphone now. This needs to be fixed now!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:29 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by future350driver
I got it 2 days ago and i didnt know where it came from. So now i see the announcement. Wtf??? My sisters bf has my computer now and he cant fix it(hes an IT) he said it would take several hours to fix and to restore my pc. It blocked internet so i couldnt fix it. Im using my iphone now. This needs to be fixed now!!!
I work in IT and I fixed it in 20mins. Most of the 20mins was done scanning. Sounds like your sister's boyfriend is teh sux.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Barzten1

I got a virus from this site on sunday. Killed my tower.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
*ICE*

hmm there's a virus? I'm still clean so far
Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Driven1
Professional

^^^Consider yourself lucky on this one.

I only go on here with my Mac from here on out until a solution is found.

Im with Phreak on helping out if I can....like identify pages and threads and such(since some of us immediately started flagging and posting when it hit us).
Old 03-10-2010, 04:44 PM
*ICE*

^^^Consider yourself lucky on this one.

I only go on here with my Mac from here on out until a solution is found.

Im with Phreak on helping out if I can....like identify pages and threads and such(since some of us immediately started flagging and posting when it hit us).
All i used is Firefox + Adblock Plus no anti-virus or spyware/adware crap running at all on Windows 7 64bit.. *knocks on wood*

Quick Reply: Virus and keyloggers on my350z