Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Virus and keyloggers on my350z

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant even do a system restore; it blocks me from doing that. IB can act like its not their fault since its a script from one of their advertisers, but since they let them advertise this ****, its 110% their fault. **** you IB you money ******, thanks for letting someone infect the entire my350z community; hopefully no one has this virus as bad as we have it.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:39 AM
MDHRZ

Damn, looks like Blackline got it bad. Have you guys booted in safe mode and attempted to remove it? If that doesn't work I would boot in safe mode and backup all my data to an external HDD and reinstall Windows. Do you guys have any servers that were affected or just desktop/laptops?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:59 AM
hellsy

Originally Posted by Mike@Blackline
i cant even do a system restore; it blocks me from doing that. IB can act like its not their fault since its a script from one of their advertisers, but since they let them advertise this ****, its 110% their fault. **** you IB you money ******, thanks for letting someone infect the entire my350z community; hopefully no one has this virus as bad as we have it.
Mike, i am not quite sure how comfortable you are with the OS, but if you can try boot your system into "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", and try to open Malwarebyte's manually (through command prompt, go to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ and launch mbam.exe). If you would need more instructions, let me know.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

first off, sorry, i was drunk last night. but my points are still valid haha
Originally Posted by MDHRZ
Damn, looks like Blackline got it bad. Have you guys booted in safe mode and attempted to remove it? If that doesn't work I would boot in safe mode and backup all my data to an external HDD and reinstall Windows. Do you guys have any servers that were affected or just desktop/laptops?
Originally Posted by hellsy
Mike, i am not quite sure how comfortable you are with the OS, but if you can try boot your system into "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", and try to open Malwarebyte's manually (through command prompt, go to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ and launch mbam.exe). If you would need more instructions, let me know.
its just on a desktop
i cant seem to find safe mode. when the comp starts f8 only takes me to a menu that lets me choose where to boot from; the one time i just hit a bunch of buttons to bring up the safe mode selection, i couldnt scroll up and down to select it
Old 03-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Black Z Eddie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

its just on a desktop
i cant seem to find safe mode. when the comp starts f8 only takes me to a menu that lets me choose where to boot from; the one time i just hit a bunch of buttons to bring up the safe mode selection, i couldnt scroll up and down to select it
You weren't trying to use the mouse were you. lol

If it's not f8, try any of the higher F keys then lower F keys. Or try the Del key (unlikely though).

If you could safe mode up again, try pressing the first letter that corresponds to the selection you want. Usually, anything that has scroll or arrow key ability also has the first letter ability.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 AM
MDHRZ

first off, sorry, i was drunk last night. but my points are still valid haha

its just on a desktop
It's there somewhere. What model computer and O/S are you using?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Vroompsst

Having the same problem as Mike@Blackline
If you find something that works Mike post asap.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by Black Z Eddie
You weren't trying to use the mouse were you. lol

If it's not f8, try any of the higher F keys then lower F keys. Or try the Del key (unlikely though).

If you could safe mode up again, try pressing the first letter that corresponds to the selection you want. Usually, anything that has scroll or arrow key ability also has the first letter ability.
haha no. and i know what youre talking about but all options begin with 'S' and none have an underlined letter to signify which key would correspond with it
Originally Posted by MDHRZ
It's there somewhere. What model computer and O/S are you using?
do not know sir. its a built computer by my neighbor back home. Windows XP
Old 03-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by Vroompsst
Having the same problem as Mike@Blackline
If you find something that works Mike post asap.
luckily i already have malwarebytes or whatever installed on my computer (because it wont let me execute the install for the new one)
so i can open the old version if i turn the comp off, turn it back on, and immediately open the program before the virus-thing 'boots up.'

so i cant get it to open and run the scan, and even delete the files it finds, but this thing wont go away.
same for any program that is blocked by the virus; you have a few valuable seconds in which you can open things before the virus starts up
Old 03-19-2010, 12:09 PM
hellsy

luckily i already have malwarebytes or whatever installed on my computer (because it wont let me execute the install for the new one)
so i can open the old version if i turn the comp off, turn it back on, and immediately open the program before the virus-thing 'boots up.'

so i cant get it to open and run the scan, and even delete the files it finds, but this thing wont go away.
same for any program that is blocked by the virus; you have a few valuable seconds in which you can open things before the virus starts up
Mike, the reason why the virus comes back on after a restart is because of the System Restore feature. Majority of the time, viruses copy their files over the System Restore, and restore themselves back on again as soon as you get rid of them. So try disabling System Restore until you fully disinfect it from your system.

The way you can get into Safe Boot is, after you start/restart your computer the first initialization screen comes up.. After this initialization, you see another screen.. you need to start pressing on F8 key [Not F + 8] on and off before you get to the Windows XP loading screen. If you do this correctly, you should have a menu come up.. Then you would pick either Safe Boot, or Safe Boot with Command Prompt. [Try Safe Boot only first, if you cant disinfect it from there, i will give you a hand with Command Prompt option.]

Good Luck.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:37 PM
crazydelicious

do not know sir. its a built computer by my neighbor back home. Windows XP
Do you have access to the start menu? You could try using the run command: msconfig -> click on Boot tab -> safe boot
Old 03-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Vroompsst

1-download malwarebytes (download.com)
2-reboot computer in safemode with networking
3-run updates on malwarebytes
4-do a full scan
5-on a different computer download superantispyware (download.com) and save .exe file to a disc thumb drive
6-once you remove everything malwarebytes finds reboot the computer in normal mode
7-install superantispyware and run it
8-when done reboot

My computer was still having issues connecting to the internet so I needed to reinstall the driver for my network card.

If you are having this issue, open Device Manager in Windows and find the network card. Uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them (should be able to do this right from device manager, no install cd was required for me)

Much better
Old 03-19-2010, 04:22 PM
350junkie

i had that a while back...took it to geek squad and paid like 140$? problem solved
Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by crazydelicious
Do you have access to the start menu? You could try using the run command: msconfig -> click on Boot tab -> safe boot
You don't need start menu to run a command. Simply press the windows key + r and it will give you a run prompt.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 AM
sublimemoment

Has anyone gotten this recently? Should I be comfortable browsing the site again?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Maxima SE

i got the virus the WORST.......... i havent read the whole thread but a few posts.

I deleted IE history and cookies, then came to this site and logged in. computer froze for 10 min till i manualy rebooted and once i logged into windows, all hell broke loose.

NOTHING works, absoluly NOTHING. IE doesnt go to any website, absolutly no programs can be opened (notepad, antivirus, AIM, winzip). besides that, hundreds of popups and **** sites would open uncontrolably. I put all my needed files into a saved folder, borrowed my friends laptop and did a network share of files to put em on his laptop and then had no choice but to format my desktop. im actually posting from his laptop right now since i had previously logged in. Its gonna be a b!tch to get my desktop to where it was before and i doubt id dare log into this site for a while now
Old 03-21-2010, 10:54 AM
tware

the only thing IB could have done better was find the ad network responsible much sooner. The only reason you havent gotten this on other sites is luck, they shut it down the first mention of a problem. I wouldnt get complacent just because they got it stopped here, tomorrow it will be some other site you trust and probably the same ad network. I would still take the time to do as many of the things recommended here, such as not browsing with an admin account, using a script blocker and some other browser than IE.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 AM
my320

I am using Firefox with no script and Adblock. I am running a scan in malwarebytes and anti vir to double check.

But I dont have anything on my computer so far