Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

WTF?! Why was this site down for over 2 days?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 08:16 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, simple answer, only victor really has contact with the web gurus running the backbone of the site. and vic was occupied with moving to college for a few days, he just learned about it a night ago; so that was the first word the web guys heard about it.

of course itd be nice if they occasionally checked on the site themselves. but alas....
Old 08-14-2004, 11:47 AM
kcobean

Not that I disagree with you Ares, but it would take a competent System Admin about 10 minutes to write logic that would check the site at regular intervals and notify the admin/owner via email/pager/cell-phone/carrier-pidgeon if there was a problem. The people who own the site just don't give a cr@p enough to think about this. That's the real answer. They don't view this site as a REAL money making opportunity, and it shows every time the site goes down. If they did, they wouldn't have a college kid with a dozen higher priorities on his plate running the show. I'm not knocking Vic, life gets busy. If he doesn't have time to tend to the site like it should be tended to, that's understandable, but the OWNER shouldn't let Vic's schedule affect his business. The fact that he does tells you something about how important the site is to him and/or how much affect these outages have on his revenue stream.

You don't think companies like yahoo and cnn have people sitting around clicking around the site all day checking for problems do you? That's what computers are for!!!

I for one think the downtime is totally unacceptable from a business standpoint, but hey, I don't pay a dime for the services here, so my opinion doesn't mean a damn thing.

Last edited by kcobean; 08-14-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:17 PM
georgiaboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kco you make a lot of great points and i couldnt agree wth you anymore
Old 08-14-2004, 02:12 PM
wren57
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just feel bad for the sponsors who pay money to advertise and sell goods here; when the site is down, their sales suffer... I just wish they would speak up and say something.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:48 PM
ares
Veteran

Originally posted by wren57
I just feel bad for the sponsors who pay money to advertise and sell goods here; when the site is down, their sales suffer... I just wish they would speak up and say something.
I doubt takao hears much if anything about our complaints, he might care more coming from the sponsors, but Ive tried, he's a tough guy to find. closest Ive ever come was his personal secretery and after leaving a message, he never called me back.

things could be improved, I agree about the site needing some more supervision from those in charge. but unfortunatly it seems to fall on deaf ears. probably cause the only ears it falls on are our own.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:24 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by ares
I doubt takao hears much if anything about our complaints, he might care more coming from the sponsors, but Ive tried, he's a tough guy to find. closest Ive ever come was his personal secretery and after leaving a message, he never called me back.

things could be improved, I agree about the site needing some more supervision from those in charge. but unfortunatly it seems to fall on deaf ears. probably cause the only ears it falls on are our own.
You exemplify my point.

You are a sponsor who has complained and even you have been blatantly ignored. Know why? Because you are still here advertising. Plain and simple. Your displeasure with the performance of the advertising platform for which you are paying doesn't matter because it hasn't driven your money elsewhere. As long as the site doesn't end up COSTING the owner money, it's condition or performance is not his concern.