Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

All Arias piston buyers please READ!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 01:12 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by gq_626
I was thinking the same thing. The oil squirters spray upwards towards the underside of the piston. They are deisgned to keep the stock cast pistons cool.

I have talked to a few people on this topic...much more knowledgable than me...and there is seems to be an ongoing debate on whether oil squirters are even necessary with forged pistons. Many people dont like them, surprisingly , due to clearance issues, and becuase they can get clogged up.

One person on the board that built his motor himself, actually just bent the driver's side squirters slightly, so lay are flatter and out of the way of the piston skirts.

one last thing. Arias isnt really putting a notch on the pistons, they are just shaving off some of the skirt...essentially smoothing it down just slightly, so it will clear the oil squirters.
I talk to the shop this morning and asked him to see if he could [1] see the squirters [2] check the clearance if possible . He did put on the upper oil pan , but I told him just to take it back off and do the check .I''ll find out some time today if he was able to do the check
I also got a email from Arias saying to check the clearance first if the upper oil pan is off .
Old 12-08-2004, 01:14 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

That's good to know...
Old 12-08-2004, 01:18 PM
booger

I'll wait to see what the shop says , but if he can get to them , I just may have him bend them down a little
Old 12-08-2004, 01:26 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

I am not sure how you can bend them, i hope they do not break. Get some spares in our hands first so that this doesn't hold up the project for several days in the evet that they break.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by booger
I'll wait to see what the shop says , but if he can get to them , I just may have him bend them down a little

PPW___cant remember the rest of his screename, bent his downward. On his motor, the crank wouldnt even turn as he rotated the assembly..they hit right away.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:39 PM
booger

I just talk to the shop . They are moving to a new location so he hasnt looked yet . Im going down in the morning , and we are going to look at the old block to see if we can get to the squirters and if they are bendable . If its doable he'll take off the upper oil pan on the new one
Old 12-08-2004, 08:50 PM
ZanDiego

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed Nancy at Arias last night and received a UPS call tag this morning. It looks like they are stepping up to take care of this issue as quick as possible. I'll send mine out tomorrow and see how long it takes to get them back. I'm glad I was lucky (or unlucky) to get my build started.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:31 AM
booger

We tried to bend the oil squirters on the old block this morning . We put a long screw driver under it and pryed up on it . Well it didnt take much at all......It SNAPPED right off . Its a cast piece , so its not going to be bendable . So the new short block will go to the machine shop . I need to call Arias this afternoon to find out how they want to handle it . Will report back on what they say
Old 12-09-2004, 02:38 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

That's what I was saying...... You cannot bend thse things... BTW... They are $45 each!!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 02:48 PM
booger

Originally posted by gurgenpb01
That's what I was saying...... You cannot bend thse things... BTW... They are $45 each!!!!
It was worth a try . I did talk to Jason at Arias and he said they would not exactly notch for the squirter , but take material from all 4 sides [ cant explain...over my head ] and the piston would be balanced . I hope they cover the cost of removing and installing them
Old 12-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally posted by booger
It was worth a try . I did talk to Jason at Arias and he said they would not exactly notch for the squirter , but take material from all 4 sides [ cant explain...over my head ] and the piston would be balanced . I hope they cover the cost of removing and installing them
That is correct. Essentially, they remove material from all 4 corners of the piston...for lack of a better term.

When you get the pistons back, you wont even be able to tell that anything was done to them. Their machining is flawless.

Booger, at least you used the old block to test out the strength of those oil squirters.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

bump....

Any chance a mod could "sticky" this for a while. It's incredibly important for everyone to see this thread.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:17 PM
booger

I should be getting my UPS call tag Saturday or Monday , to send the pistons to Arias
Old 12-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Great Booger.

I am actually flying to LA for the JGTC race next weekend. So I am going to hand deliver the pistons to Arias, and they said they could machine them on the spot in 10mins. I am hoping for a tour of their facility as well...gotta check out those CNC machines and forged blanks.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:47 PM
ZanDiego

Mine were shipped out to Arias on Thursday. They got them the next morning and I got an email back stating they were shipped out the same day. Should get them Monday. I really did not need them this fast since I'm still waiting on other parts to get the engine done but it's nice to know they are hustling on our parts.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:39 PM
ZanDiego

Got them in today. Here are the pics of the work. Very fast turnaround.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

very nice.....clean cuts.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

bump...for importance.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:27 PM
JeffesonM

Originally posted by gq_626
Great Booger.

I am actually flying to LA for the JGTC race next weekend. So I am going to hand deliver the pistons to Arias, and they said they could machine them on the spot in 10mins. I am hoping for a tour of their facility as well...gotta check out those CNC machines and forged blanks.
gq... if you take a tour, please take some pics!
Old 12-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Sure..I will see if they will allow some pictures. Probably not..but you never know.

Quick Reply: All Arias piston buyers please READ!