Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

All Arias piston buyers please READ!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by royce so
hmmm, you're also the one that said it was absolutely impossible for him to have a ring land that's not perfectly flat. i didn't say they had to stop the line in the middle of the day did i? they can do it after hours or they can make a whole set and keep 5 pistons to replace any other defective ones that might come back, or they can make 7 pistons and stock the 6 on the shelf, they have plenty of options. and no you cannot repair "totally mangled pistons" to brand new condition as you've stated. in fact if you want we can bet on it. you pound on one of your pistons 50 times with a sledgehammer or to whatever point you feel that it's "totally mangled" and you return to arias to fix it. if they can fix it i'll pay you $1k, if they can't the you pay me a grand.
You are a child...I am not indulging this with a response. Stop ruining a perfectly good thread.

The pistons in question are a custom CR, so they dont stock them. you seem to know all the answers......hehe
Old 12-23-2004, 02:42 PM
royce so

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BONEHED
Yeah, if your making block off plates for your egr valve. What CNC machine will drill the pin hole, cut the ring grooves. drill oil returns, drill pin oilers frm each side of piston. cut side reliefs, notch valve pockets, cut for locks in the pinhole, and then pinfit and deburr the pistons all by itself in one machine just by popping in a forging?????? think really hard, then let me know.
you're right there's definitely a lot of machining involved, but the day all that takes 2 weeks to do for 1 piston is the day nick arias fixes my "totally mangled" pistons. why wouldn't the cuts for the side reliefs and valve reliefs be included in the main cnc program?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:36 AM
MardiGrasMax

Have their been any reports of CP pistons breaking squirters?

As far as measuring the clearance I was thinking that you could make a feeler gauge from a length of thin metal rod. Bend it at on end then gring/file it down until its at .080" and use it as your feeler gauge.

Could you shim the squirters up abit to add clearance?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
Have their been any reports of CP pistons breaking squirters?

As far as measuring the clearance I was thinking that you could make a feeler gauge from a length of thin metal rod. Bend it at on end then gring/file it down until its at .080" and use it as your feeler gauge.

Could you shim the squirters up abit to add clearance?
Yes, CP Pistons also had the clearance issue. ZNitro(IIRC) was one person that built his motor up in his home garage, and his machine shop encountered the same issue of pistons hitting the squirter. I imagine that CP has made the design changes as well, just like Arias did.

If you look, even at the stock piston, the clearance to the oil squirter is minscule. It is really a poor design by the OEM, so have even a stock piston coming that close to the squirter.

There is no reason to shim the squirter, becuae all of the new Arias pistons clear them just fine.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Znitro

[QUOTE=gq_626]Yes, CP Pistons also had the clearance issue. ZNitro(IIRC) was one person that built his motor up in his home garage, and his machine shop encountered the same issue of pistons hitting the squirter.

No, I found the problem with the CP pistons.. all my machinist did was the boring of the block, I did the clearence work myself. I have many years of engine building experience in my home garage,if you want it done right do it yourself.

I went back and fourth with CP and in the end I had to do it right, I think they have it worked out now.

Z
Old 03-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

[QUOTE=Znitro]
Originally Posted by gq_626
Yes, CP Pistons also had the clearance issue. ZNitro(IIRC) was one person that built his motor up in his home garage, and his machine shop encountered the same issue of pistons hitting the squirter.

No, I found the problem with the CP pistons.. all my machinist did was the boring of the block, I did the clearence work myself. I have many years of engine building experience in my home garage,if you want it done right do it yourself.

I went back and fourth with CP and in the end I had to do it right, I think they have it worked out now.

Z
My memory is terrible. So you actualyl noticed the clearance issue yourself? What did you do to solve it? Did CP fix the pistons? Or did you fix them yourself.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Znitro

CP did not do the relief correctly ...all said and done, I did it myself and weighed each piston to maintain the balance.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Znitro
CP did not do the relief correctly ...all said and done, I did it myself and weighed each piston to maintain the balance.

You are good machinist. From talking to you on the phone, I know you really know this engine inside and out.

PS: The total bill...we discussed...was just a tad higher than the initial estimate. $1500, which included tearing down the complete engine, and reassemble the complete engine.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Mr_pharmD

sorry to bring is back from the dead...

Anyone know if wiseco pistons had the same issues? Also what happens if I just leave them broken?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one of the more significant advantages of piston oil squirters is cooling of the piston... pretty much all factory turbo engines come with them and as of the last 15 years or so most performance engines in general, at least the ones i have researched, include them. I think the advantages of piston temperature reduction are pretty obvious to us all... but in short you are going to further stabilize the combustion chamber and reduce piston expansion... to not have them would, i assume, increase likliness of detonation or preignition, increase the probability of piston over-expansion related damages should the engine be run hard enough to build up a concentration of heat there.... etc etc... not to mention its kind of a waste of oil pressure to be spraying a broken one in some random direction possibily contributing to windage losses... but i guess in the end im more of an assembler guy, i dont do blueprinting, machining work, etc... so i could only guess. i do know that if i personall broke one off in one of mine or a customers engines, i would most certainly get right on that.

in other words.... IBTL.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Dynasty.Zero

Good thing I got the "crappy" Wiseco pistons . . . . LOL.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynasty.Zero
Good thing I got the "crappy" Wiseco pistons . . . . LOL.
As you probably realize (which is why I presume you went with Wiseco), even though Wiseco pistons are not as popular in the VQ community as Arias pistons, they are nonetheless very good. I spent hours and hours researching whatever information I could get on the different piston manufacturers and, when it was time to build, I also went with Wiseco.

A few years ago there was a report on ImportBuilders.com that compared Wiseco pistons to CP, JE, Arias and Ross pistons. That report was very favorable to Wiseco pistons, but no longer seems to be available. The website now links to BluePrint Racing, who only seems to carry Wiseco pistons. One could take the view that they only carry Wisecos because they like them the best, or that they wrote the report to show the Wisecos in a good light since they are a Wiseco dealer.

It's hard to say without having the actual report in hand. I called BluePrint Racing asking for a copy of the report and requesting permission to post in this forum. If I hear back from them, I'll post whatever I get.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 11-10-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:14 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
sorry to bring is back from the dead...

Anyone know if wiseco pistons had the same issues? Also what happens if I just leave them broken?
Dude, its not that damn hard to just look at the bottom of the piston to see if its been notched. Its not a science.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Dynasty.Zero

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
As you probably realize (which is why I presume you went with Wiseco), even though Wiseco pistons are not as popular in the VQ community as Arias pistons, they are nonetheless very good. I spent hours and hours researching whatever information I could get on the different piston manufacturers and, when it was time to build, I also went with Wiseco.

A few years ago there was a report on ImportBuilders.com that compared Wiseco pistons to CP, JE, Arias and Ross pistons. That report was very favorable to Wiseco pistons, but no longer seems to be available. The website now links to BluePrint Racing, who only seems to carry Wiseco pistons. One could take the view that they only carry Wisecos because they like them the best, or that they wrote the report to show the Wisecos in a good light since they are a Wiseco dealer.

It's hard to say without having the actual report in hand. I called BluePrint Racing asking for a copy of the report and requesting permission to post in this forum. If I hear back from them, I'll post whatever I get.
Yes I agree with you bro. I did a crap load of research and came to the conclusion that popular opinion isn't necessarily always the best choice to make. The stuff that happened recently here made me decide a big no-no with Sleeves and other stuff.

Wiseco pistons were the custom-spec'ed GTM ones and they look almost identical to their GTM spec Arias pistons too. I like how they were cheaper as well.

Someone else will break before these pistons at 500-550whp.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Mr_pharmD

Originally Posted by thawk408
Dude, its not that damn hard to just look at the bottom of the piston to see if its been notched. Its not a science.
not sure what u trying to get at. I know u can look at the bottom to see the broken squirters. My question was asking do wiesco pistons have the same issues as arias or was this just bad clearance issues?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:00 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
not sure what u trying to get at. I know u can look at the bottom to see the broken squirters. My question was asking do wiesco pistons have the same issues as arias or was this just bad clearance issues?
I have wisecos and know the squirters were fine as I had to take the engine apart after 2k and squirters were still ok

Only thing I could think to make such a difference would be in the manufacturing tolerances of the piston or the rod. I have Carrillo rods and feel very comfortable that they would be very consistent in their dimensions not sure about Eagles