Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Gas Leak, any idea ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 04:48 PM
backagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Leak, any idea ???

whats up everyone, on my way home from picking up some food, my car dies about 1 mile from my house. Got out of the car and opened the hood, smell gas right off the bat. looked under the car, saw gas leaking out. Tried to start the car, NOTHING. gas gauge was going down each time i would give the car power. Pushed the car in the parking spot and I got my neighbor to pick me up, as soon as i got home i checked where the car was parked, no gas puddle.

so my question is WTF !!! , gas in the car, try to crank car, car tried to start, turning over just fine, just sounds like there is no gas in the car, i guess because it's all on the ground, sorry that is all the info i have for the moment. if anyone has had this issue, please let me know.

recent things done to the car,

1. vortech supercharger about 2 months ago.
2. Powdercoated plenum less than a week ago. took plenum off car, powdercoated, put back on car. car ran fine until now.

thanks in advance
Old 02-08-2005, 04:55 PM
xsmallpaulx

i had that same problem. check the fuel line that connects to the fuel pump it probably just came loose. it shoud plug right in. you can get to the fuel pump in the compartment behind the passenger seat just take the cover off and then you have to undo another cover. and then youll see what im talking about. i hope this helps
Old 02-08-2005, 05:10 PM
backagain

i'll be able to do this from inside the car ? if so, then where do i look for this fuel line ? possible that it fell down through the car if it came loose ?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:32 PM
xsmallpaulx

Originally posted by backagain
i'll be able to do this from inside the car ? if so, then where do i look for this fuel line ? possible that it fell down through the car if it came loose ?
yes you cando it frominside the car it is very easy. i can almost gurantee that the line came loose from the fuel pump.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:46 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backagain...If you havent touched the fuel pump in the tank [ added return system] Then the problem isnt going to be in the tank. The stock fuel line runs to the aux. fuel pump ,then to the FMU , and then to the stock fuel rail . Check the lines running to and from the aux. fuel pump , and the FMU . You will find the problem there .
Bill
Old 02-08-2005, 07:15 PM
backagain

found the problem. it was the aux fuel pump. the fuel line had come out. waiting to get a clamp to put back on it, the one that was on there was plenty tight, tight enough that i couldnt get the fuel line back in unless i took off the clamp, somehow it came out though. oh well, i'll get another clamp to hold it on tomorrow. thanks for all the quick replies, all of you are VERY helpful when i am in need.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:12 AM
daddyz

backagain,
check your FMU! Mine did the same thing. If your take your FMU apart u will find that the washer is highly corroded!Just like it was sitting in salt water. You can order a recal kit for it. I will bet money that this will happen again until you replace or rebuild your FMU.
Hope this helps!
Jayson
Old 02-10-2005, 06:56 AM
backagain

where do i order this recall kit ? directly from vortech ? and if i get it, do i just rebuild it or do i get a new one ? this is really starting to get to me,
Old 02-10-2005, 07:26 AM
daddyz

8:1 FMU Recalibration Kit is what you need! It's $34.95 on the Vortech site. The FMU will always give you trouble.It's a band-aid. What we really need to do is put a return style fuel system in our cars. The kit will fix your problem. If you do a search on the forum there are about 8 other people with the same problem! Best guess it will last about 4000 to 5000 miles. Good-luck keep your chin-up it's not a big problem,the Vortech is still an awsome kit. When your order your kit order the 3.12 (9) pulley your car will really come alive!
Jay
Old 02-10-2005, 06:39 PM
backagain

any chance of the engine blowing if the fuel line comes disconnected durring boost ? that is mainly what i am afraid of right now...
Old 02-10-2005, 07:12 PM
booger

Sounds like you just had a problem with a fuel line . Not the FMU .Put the line back on and just keep on enjoying the Vortech kit . Doesnt sound like there is any thing wrong with your FMU .
If any one wants a good FMU , or the aux. fuel pump ...I have one I'll let go cheap
Old 02-10-2005, 07:19 PM
backagain

thats what i thought ... but then again im a supercharger newb
Old 02-10-2005, 08:40 PM
daddyz

I would still check the FMU! Just my 2 cents worth. The problem happened to me 3 times before i checked mine. Even had a tow home for it. Ever since i changed mine no problems. A piece of mind for $35.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:56 AM
backagain

oh, gas is still leaking out... i said it was the aux fuel pump. but then again i don't know if it is the fmu or the aux fuel pump. does anyone have any pictures of an fmu or fuel pump ? the car will run but i can smell gas leaking out, i parked my car and gas is just leaking out all over. i am about to go back under the car and see if the hose came off again,
Old 02-11-2005, 09:14 AM
King Tut

Let me know if you want me to try and take a look at it. Here are pics of the components. The FMU has to have a vaccuum line going to it but no wires, while the fuel pump has no vaccuum line but has to have wires going to it:

FMU:

Fuel Pump:

Old 02-11-2005, 09:58 AM
backagain

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...tegory_Code=FC is this what i need ? i called vortech, they weren't much help. he also mentioned that i could adjust air/fuel ratio by changing something on the FMU ? is his correct ? i thought that the only way to change the a/f ration was by the r4 software...
Old 02-11-2005, 10:17 AM
King Tut

Yes by changing the washer on the FMU to a bigger or smaller it will change your A/F ratio. The part you listed is not the one daddyz recommended. He said to get the 8:1 which means for every 1 psi of boost the fuel pressure is upped by 8 psi. Here is the link to the part daddyz recommended:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...tegory_Code=FC
Old 02-11-2005, 12:23 PM
booger

your aux.fuel pump will have a thick black rubber housing around it . The FMU 's should really much longer before having to rebuild . Not saying it doesnt need it [ it may ] Give tightening up all your hoses one more try .
Old 02-11-2005, 01:09 PM
backagain

it's kind of weird, it was leaking early this morning, then i got back and lifted up the car, couldn't fine gas coming out of anywhere, now it's fine, sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't. werid if you ask me....
Old 02-11-2005, 01:17 PM
daddyz

backagain,
like booger said check all your fuel lines make double shur they are tight. Wish i would have took pics of the washer in my FMU because of how rusted it was. I think what happens is the washer becomes so rusted that it sticks and your fuel psi rises and blows off your fuel lines. Ever since i changed mine no problems. I hope this helps you out.

Quick Reply: Gas Leak, any idea ???