Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HIGH HP VQ's

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 03:03 AM
Speed Force

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HIGH HP VQ's

I was just wondering who has the highest HP out of the group on the forums? If, you guys can please post some specs. I was just curious to see where most of our cars stack up. FI guys please post which Turbo/SC kits you are using. (# boost, timing, octane, built motor) It would nice to know what the NA guys make also. (cams, head work, porting). Not to forgot you NOS guys either. Thanks in advance. This should be very interesting.

Keith Ta

Last edited by Speed Force; 02-18-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HIGH HP VQ's

Originally posted by Speed Force
I was just wondering who has the highest HP out of the group on the forums? If, you guys can please post some specs. I was just curious to see where most of our cars stack up. FI guys please post which Turbo/SC kits you are using. (# boost, timing, octane, built motor) It would nice to know what the NA guys make also. (cams, head work, porting). Not to forgot you NOS guys either. Thanks in advance. This should be very interesting.

Keith Ta
I believe bluefish would be the winner here.
PE TT
MoTeC M800
tons of other mods
stock crank, intake plenum, and only Darton liners
over 1400hp, 8.33 ¼ mile time

But, the fastest street car I believe is "kudos", built by SGP Racing, 619rwhp: http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/ab03ni35.html
Old 02-18-2005, 01:17 PM
nitrous350

Yes bluefish
Old 02-18-2005, 04:07 PM
JimRHIT

I think if you ask this question in about 1-2 months, there are gonna be about 30 500+ whp Z running around here
Old 02-18-2005, 04:49 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

woooohoooo, i'll be one of em!!
Old 02-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Speed Force

Default Re: Re: HIGH HP VQ's

Originally posted by nis350ztt
I believe bluefish would be the winner here.
PE TT
MoTeC M800
tons of other mods
stock crank, intake plenum, and only Darton liners
over 1400hp, 8.33 ¼ mile time

But, the fastest street car I believe is "kudos", built by SGP Racing, 619rwhp: http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/ab03ni35.html
So our record holder for street car is 619rwhp. Does anyone know what kind of boost he was running etc? As far as Bluefish. That is not street car at all. Strictly business race car.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:53 PM
bruschijr

17.5 pounds but with headwork done including larger valves... expect to see me up there sometime within the next two months.. i have the same setup.. if not better...
Old 02-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Default Re: Re: Re: HIGH HP VQ's

So our record holder for street car is 619rwhp. Does anyone know what kind of boost he was running etc? As far as Bluefish. That is not street car at all. Strictly business race car.
Didn't realize you wanted street cars, you said high hp VQ on the forums, that'd be bluefish.

Anyway, the link should tell you everything, I pm'd him about his setup about 2 weeks ago, no answer yet, he doesn't get online much, I wouldn't either if I had 619rwhp.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Speed Force

Very Impressive numbers guys, we have a project car that should be in the 600+ class within the next few weeks. Did you guys bother sleeving your blocks? If, so with which ones. Thanks guys, I just want to make sure I do everything the first time around.

Keith Ta
www.speedforceracing.com
Old 02-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Very Impressive numbers guys, we have a project car that should be in the 600+ class within the next few weeks. Did you guys bother sleeving your blocks? If, so with which ones. Thanks guys, I just want to make sure I do everything the first time around.

Keith Ta
www.speedforceracing.com
I wouldn't bother sleeving, Performance Motorsports is only using Darton liners, still has the stock sleeves and it's pushing over 1400hp, although, new sleeves may extend the life longer.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Speed Force

I wouldn't bother sleeving, Performance Motorsports is only using Darton liners, still has the stock sleeves and it's pushing over 1400hp, although, new sleeves may extend the life longer.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Thanks for the feedback!
No problem.

Last I heard SFR/SSR was at...510rwhp right?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Speed Force

That is correct. That is strictly a Speed Force Racing Project. SSR retails our turbo kits. We do ALL the R&D, Fabrication, Tuning and Installs. Speed Force Racing and SSR are two completely different companies.

Project 350Z has a Mild build up with a built bottom end w/ CP pistons 8.5:1, Pauter Rods, Stock Crank, Nismo cams, Stock valvetrain @ 13 psi. After we get some more miles on the motor we will try for 18 psi. That should do the job.

Steve's (TINMAN) G35 project is going to be the same with a few more tweaks with extensive Head Work with all Ferrea valvetrain sporting our New RACE Spec Auto Trans and convertor. We hope to see great things from his project as well.

I will keep you guys posted. Just trying to get some imput from the board members. As I am going to start my personal very soon here. For the guys that know me, I am leaning towards the EXTREME set up. My partner, Tim, also picked up a 350Z last weekend. We will release details on that car once everything is finalized. HAPPY BOOSTIN!

Keith Ta
WWW.SPEEDFORCERACING.COM

Last edited by Speed Force; 02-18-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:47 AM
Enron Exec

Darton liners are sleeves. I dont think they could have made that ~1300 rwhp pass in Dallas with an open deck. Im sure it was closed.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by Enron Exec
Darton liners are sleeves. I dont think they could have made that ~1300 rwhp pass in Dallas with an open deck. Im sure it was closed.
I was going by what philthy has said, he said they do not look like the M.I.D. sleeves Darton sells. He was supposed to go up to the shop and get pics of the engine and sleeves and etc. sometime last week. It's in that "What is the weak link above 500rwhp" thread.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Speed Force

I would think that you would need sleeves to get higher in the HP range. I don't think the stock open deck would be too strong after the overbore in the stock sleeves, there isn't much material left at all. Especially when running about 30+ psi. That would be my only concern personally. The crank, after market pistons, and after market rods would all be fine for that abuse. The stock block is all I'd worry about. I will let you know guys know what I decide on. But, on the Darton website, It does state comments from George I, Performance Motorsports crew chief. I'm sure they are using sleeves. I'd think that about 800rwhp is where the stock sleeves would let go. It's just good insurance. Thanks again for your imput fellas. Let me know when you guys get those pics of the motor.

Keith Ta
Old 02-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Speed Force

BTW, if they didn't look like the Darton sleeves, They could have been the AEBS sleeves. Does anyone have a blcok sleeved by either company running? It looks like the Darton sleeves have bigger coolant passages. My concern would just be engine tempertures for a daily driven car.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:38 AM
2JZfan

I will keep you guys posted. Just trying to get some imput from the board members. As I am going to start my personal very soon here. For the guys that know me, I am leaning towards the EXTREME set up. My partner, Tim, also picked up a 350Z last weekend. We will release details on that car once everything is finalized. HAPPY BOOSTIN!

Keith Ta
WWW.SPEEDFORCERACING.COM
Keith, I know of your Supra exploits quite well from being in that community for years. I look forward to seeing what you guys do with this platform. We have an '05 G35 6MT on order to build a project car as well. CP pistons + Pauter rods have been claimed to be enough to handle 750rwhp on this platform w/o the use of sleeves. I feel that tuning is the biggest hurdle and that the F-Con V Pro or a custom AEM setup are the only options worth talking about. I suspect that there would be a lot more big-power cars and lot less blocks with holes in them if people were using EMS's that were worth a crap.

My overall take on the Z/G world vs. the 2JZ world is two-fold: the 2JZ is hands-down stronger but I believe a modified VQ35 will prove to have more power potential (through increased displacement and superior heads). As far as tech info, the Z/G world is a black hole compared to what the 2JZ people enjoy, but this is to be expected considering the extra 10 years of 2JZ development.

In the end, it always takes trial and error to figure out what works and what doesn't and there isn't that long of a line of people waiting to completely tear into a $30k+ car that is still under factory warranty. Lots of people are more inclined (understandably) to wait and see what others come up with first. Unfortunately, this means it takes a while for some "critical mass" to develop.

Let's hope we can all kick-start that process here in the next 6-12 months.

Jeff
InductionMotorsports.com
Old 02-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

BTW, if they didn't look like the Darton sleeves, They could have been the AEBS sleeves. Does anyone have a blcok sleeved by either company running? It looks like the Darton sleeves have bigger coolant passages. My concern would just be engine tempertures for a daily driven car.
GurgenPB's AEBS sleeved VQ35DE...

Originally posted by Philthy
I was able to get a really good look at the Performance Motorsports 1400hp VQ35 block today, and guess what, no sleeves... Yep, they are just running Darton Liners...

I was also able to see both the AEBS and Darton MID sleeves installed in VQ35 blocks, and the Darton MID look really good!
He hasn't posted since he's been up there, hopefully he'll come back within 2-3 days and post those pics.

Nope... Liners are not MID sleeves - they're two different things...

I'll get some pictures from Weston and post them so you can see the difference. With the Liners you don't need to machine out much material from the block, with Sleeves (Darton MID or AEBS) a lot of material needs to be removed from the block.
Referring to Performance Motorsports' 350Z...
The motor they're building now will have sleeves and a closed deck... The 1300hp motor just had liners... If the motors are still at the machine shop next week I'll take some pictures to show you the differences.

I'm taking a trip down to the machine shop this week and I'll take some pics of the different configurations, AEBS, Darton Liners, and below are some for the Darton MID... I'll also take some pics of the torque plate, and other tools that are used for balancing the motor...

I'll ask Weston to take some step by step pics from start to finish on the work I'm getting done to my block if your want them...

Last edited by nis350ztt; 02-19-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:57 AM
Speed Force

Jeff, I completely agree with you. Tuning is the KEY here. What I want to do with mine is run the AEM EMS and run a throttle cable instead of the fly by wire BS. That is would be the key. I have the AEM EMS in my Supra and I LOVE IT! The 2JZ block is the stronger then the VQ. But, with sleeves there are in the same game with more dispalcement. Things should be very interesting. As we all know the VQ is the hottest thing right now. I can't wait. Happy Boostin Jeff! Keep me posted on how your project goes.

Quick Reply: HIGH HP VQ's