Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS Intercooled Single Turbo vs Turbonetics Single Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 01:12 PM
APS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmydust
Since when did piggybacks work worth a damn on the new nissan ecu's ?
Not sure what it is you don't like about the interceptor computer approach for engine tuning though imho opinion this is the smartest technical approach for mapping igntion timing, air fuel ratio and turbo boost pressure across all rpm and load sites whilst still retaining all of the wonder features of the stock Nissan computer to make compensation changes for altitude and barometric pressure.

I'm 100% postive that if I had your car on the dyno for only 1/2 an hour you would be amazed with the mapping/tuning capability of the interceptor style computer.

Thanks

Peter
Old 03-15-2005, 01:16 PM
JoneZZZ

MIAPLAYA......Has Turbonetics had proven successes reflashing the '04.5 and higher ECU?

Actually this applies to APS also....
Old 03-15-2005, 01:18 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by Phatmitzu
Do they both eliminate the cat? Or cats can still be kept?
I'm sure that a single turbo system design does not allow sufficient space for factory Nissan cats to be retained in the stock position (and one factory cat would not have sufficient gas flow) so for this reason alone a larger higher flowing single cat converter would be required for high powered applications.

Peter
Old 03-15-2005, 01:21 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by JoneZZZ
MIAPLAYA......Has Turbonetics had proven successes reflashing the '04.5 and higher ECU?

Actually this applies to APS also....
No one has any success period on 05s.. My car is an 04.5 (newer revision of ECU prior to 05 revision) and they have had no problems now that Technosquare got the flash set. (Turbonetics basically bought the flash gear from Technosquare)

SO far no one has finished stuff for 05. Turbonetics and Technosquare are working on that right now...
Old 03-15-2005, 01:22 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by APS
I'm sure that a single turbo system design does not allow sufficient space for factory Nissan cats to be retained in the stock position (and one factory cat would not have sufficient gas flow) so for this reason alone a larger higher flowing single cat converter would be required for high powered applications.

Peter

Which is exactly what Turbonetics did with their cat version.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:24 PM
JoneZZZ

let me clarify my question to both companies...

it seems that there have proven success with the piggyback/ECU reflash.....can you explain how you have overcome the challenges presented with the '04.5+ ECU's?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:26 PM
JoneZZZ

Miaplaya....thx!!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:27 PM
JoneZZZ

Excellent discussion, btw......
Old 03-15-2005, 01:30 PM
MIAPLAYA

it seems that there have proven success with the piggyback/ECU reflash.....can you explain how you have overcome the challenges presented with the '04.5+ ECU's?
Not sure what you are looking for here. Since I am not a Turbonetics employee I'm not sure if I even have the answer you want...
Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Great thread guys. Keep it informative and positive....
Old 03-15-2005, 01:58 PM
APS
Banned

What tuning challenge is there with the 04.5 ECU's?

To the best of my knowledge it's all a very straight forward deal, simply map the ignition timing, air fuel ratio and boost control strategy on a load based dyno for the fuel octane utilised.

From the info I have there is no different computer or different tuning maps required for a 2004.5 Z car, the ECU computers are,

1) pre October 2003

2) post October 2003

This applies to the cars build date.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Peter
Old 03-15-2005, 02:03 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by APS
What tuning challenge is there with the 04.5 ECU's?

To the best of my knowledge it's all a very straight forward deal, simply map the ignition timing, air fuel ratio and boost control strategy on a load based dyno for the fuel octane utilised.

From the info I have there is no different computer or different tuning maps required for a 2004.5 Z car, the ECU computers are,

1) pre October 2003

2) post October 2003

This applies to the cars build date.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Peter
Well were at LEAST two different version of the ECU for 2004. As a matter of fact I am aware of some guys from Unichip who even had to re-tune/re-work the system for the later 04 ECUs as the changes to it were VERY significant. Not saying that YOUR specific tune had to change but rather that some Unichip reps were at Technosquare a while back trying to find out how the computer was managing to tune out their changes.. For 05 the ECU is COMPLETELY different...
Old 03-15-2005, 02:59 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Well were at LEAST two different version of the ECU for 2004.
Miaplaya, I believe your information is incorrect, according to Nissan there are only 2 computer models to suit the 350Z, (not sure about the 05 model) the confusion occurs because Nissan does not use vehicle years models to describe when specifications change.

Nissan dealers use month and year of the vehicle build date as shown on the decal attached to the drivers side door B pillar.

Because the ECU change occured in October 03 built cars though the 04 model Z car was introduced in June 03. This means that in the case of the 350Z coupe there are approx 5 months of the 2004 model year build with the first generation ECU and the the subsequent 7 months with the second generation ECU.

As it happens because the APS engineering car is December 03 build it has the latest generation ECU commonly incorrectly called the 2004.5 ECU, APS can tune/map either generation computer (1st or 2nd generation) without any issues.

Hope this clarifies the issue, I understand it's a little complex though this is because of the way Nissan releases their model year cars.

Thanks

Peter
Old 03-15-2005, 03:03 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by APS
Miaplaya, I believe your information is incorrect, according to Nissan there are only 2 computer models to suit the 350Z, (not sure about the 05 model) the confusion occurs because Nissan does not use vehicle years models to describe when specifications change.

Nissan dealers use month and year of the vehicle build date as shown on the decal attached to the drivers side door B pillar.

Because the ECU change occured in October 03 built cars though the 04 model Z car was introduced in June 03. This means that in the case of the 350Z coupe there are approx 5 months of the 2004 model year build with the first generation ECU and the the subsequent 7 months with the second generation ECU.

As it happens because the APS engineering car is December 03 build it has the latest generation ECU commonly incorrectly called the 2004.5 ECU, APS can tune/map either generation computer (1st or 2nd generation) without any issues.

Hope this clarifies the issue, I understand it's a little complex though this is because of the way Nissan releases their model year cars.

Thanks

Peter
Would you rather they call it the 2004 and 5/12ths ECU?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:08 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
Would you rather they call it the 2004 and 5/12ths ECU?
Good post, that put a smile on my face, it's a confusing issue though ultimately there's only 2 different ECU's in the Z car excluding the new 05 model, this APS engineers are still checking.

Thanks

Peter
Old 03-15-2005, 03:11 PM
JimRHIT

Just playin dude. I think we got it all cleared up with the ECU issue. Just want to make sure that there are now THREE different ECUs in existence.

Original
The one commonly referred to as 04.5
The NEW 05 MY

Is this correct?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by APS
Good post, that put a smile on my face, it's a confusing issue though ultimately there's only 2 different ECU's in the Z car excluding the new 05 model, this APS engineers are still checking.

Thanks

Peter
The 300 HP models IMO SHOULD be different, due to valve/cam timing on both intake and exhaust sides.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:23 PM
turbo-maxima

Originally Posted by tig488
even with the APS having the turbo much closer to the exhaust bank, its lag is still more than the turbonetics kit? hows that?
its a bigger turbo. It will make much more power and yeild better 1.4 mile times. Low end torque is good but it really only helps in 1st and 2nd gear. After that you want a turbo that makes high rpm power. Your going to roost your tires with all that low-end torque. With the APS you get to roast them at 50 mph.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
Just playin dude. I think we got it all cleared up with the ECU issue. Just want to make sure that there are now THREE different ECUs in existence.

Original
The one commonly referred to as 04.5
The NEW 05 MY

Is this correct?
The new 05 model Z car may have the identical computer to the OCT 03 on cars this we need to verify and will over the next few days.

The 35th anniversary model Z car may well have a different computer, well at a minimum different computer maps, again we need to verify this ECU over the next few days.

Thanks

Peter
Old 03-15-2005, 03:57 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by turbo-maxima
its a bigger turbo. It will make much more power and yeild better 1.4 mile times. Low end torque is good but it really only helps in 1st and 2nd gear. After that you want a turbo that makes high rpm power. Your going to roost your tires with all that low-end torque. With the APS you get to roast them at 50 mph.
I believe the reality is the APS single turbo system will deliver a superior boost curve across the entire rpm range (higher averaged Horsepower and Torque), this is a direct result of the shorter and smoother flowing exhaust manifolding (exhaust gas energy) to the awesome APS/Garrett GT series dual ball bearing turbocharger.

Add to the above combination a huge low restriction (low pressure drop) bar and plate air to air intercooler for a massive drop in charge air temperature and the result is an awesome boost curve, particularly impressive in the low to mid rpm range, this delivers loads more Horsepower/Torque right when you need................just hit the go pedal and the power is both instant and awesome.

Turbocharger performance is all about the entire design of the system, not just one single component. It's the entire combination of the ex manifolding, turbo design and matching, intercooler system, return fuel system, ign timing control and CAS harness solution, boost pressure control, exhaust system design, hi volume air cooled oil pan, that delivers the ultimate result, the end power and durability result is very relevant to the thoroughness of the engineering and dedication behind the project.

Bottom line the additional competition drives APS to be good, better, best and we welcome this healthy competition, this provides consumers with the best possible performance/products at the most cost effective price, all good.

Thanks

Peter

Quick Reply: APS Intercooled Single Turbo vs Turbonetics Single Turbo