Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Sleeved/decked block problem.... going to do engine #4...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 05:30 AM
NismoGCoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that the head was not torqued down right and maybe that the cause of the leak?
Old 04-07-2005, 05:40 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally Posted by g356gear
I am sure AEBS will cover the block fix.....but not all the labour to remove,teardown,rebuild, and re-install the new motor. I remember Gurgen mentioning he had confirmed that already. This whole scenario is taking the phrase " you gotta pay to play " to new levels.....unfortunately
If the cause is due to the sleeve sinking he can definitely make them pay for disassemble & reassembling, honestly if I was in his situation I would not pay for anything especially if I was not at fault
Old 04-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, unfortuantely, with high performance race parts, its unlikely you can get a manufactuer to pay for labor costs, loss of use, or other incidental costs. Most manufacturers will stand behind the parts...but with so many variables at play, they arent going to cover labor that they didnt perform themselves.

Hope things work out soon!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:51 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally Posted by gq_626
Yeah, unfortuantely, with high performance race parts, its unlikely you can get a manufactuer to pay for labor costs, loss of use, or other incidental costs. Most manufacturers will stand behind the parts...but with so many variables at play, they arent going to cover labor that they didnt perform themselves.

Hope things work out soon!!!
Theirs no reason the sleeve should sink if it was done correctly if this is indeed the cause of the leak AEBS should be responsible for all the labor
Old 04-07-2005, 06:01 AM
NismoGCoupe

Honestly I hope it wouldn't have to resort to this but he can sue and be a real ******* about this situation, like you said above labor costs, loss of use, or other incidental costs, he can sue for all that if he really wants to
Old 04-07-2005, 06:19 AM
johnlotusboy

The problem is the nip height, my Lotus if it was the model with steel sleeves they must be left .006 above the deck height due to aluminum motor growing when heated up. Mine runs aluminum w/nikasil (sp) coating and are set in the block .003 under deck height. I say the shop that is doing the machine work doesn't have a clue, or the manufacture didn't give them the right specs.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:23 AM
MIAPLAYA

Actually in this case I have to agree that AEBS is responsible. There are NUMEROUS stories by engine builders in the Sentra world that had problems with AEBS sleeves sinking. Most recently the owner of FIR (a mostly Sentra and 240 tuning shop) got a QR25DE from a Spec V sleeved by AEBS. The motor had a total of ONE boosted run before the sleeves sunk. He pulled the motor apart and did a full inspection. He contacted AEBS and told them what happened and they re-sleeved another block they had at their shop and sent it to him no cost....Gurgen if you haven't already talked to Ben I would do so ASAP. He's usually pretty good with customers (if hes not worrying about his go kart track). Plus this has been a high profile build from day one and I would most CERTAINLY let him know that.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:16 AM
bwzabodyn

I'll say a prayer for you, Gurgen - maybe divine intervention will work!

But seriously, this does suck to hear this - pioneers like yourself who are paving new paths for a mostly untested platform should be rewarded by taking risks, not destructed... I could see the stock motor blowing, but then a FORGED motor and now a SLEEVED BLOCK?!?!? Ridiculous....
Old 04-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by NismoGCoupe
Honestly I hope it wouldn't have to resort to this but he can sue and be a real ******* about this situation, like you said above labor costs, loss of use, or other incidental costs, he can sue for all that if he really wants to

What I am saying...is that i agree that if the sleeve sunk, AEBS should pay for the new sleeves and labor to remove/reinstall the sleaves and components. However, I dont see them picking up the other costs, like removing the engine from the car, reinstallation of the engine, turbo kit, incidental costs...etc.

If they did..that would be AWESOME...but unprecedented in the high performance car parts industry.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:35 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally Posted by gq_626
What I am saying...is that i agree that if the sleeve sunk, AEBS should pay for the new sleeves and labor to remove/reinstall the sleaves and components. However, I dont see them picking up the other costs, like removing the engine from the car, reinstallation of the engine, turbo kit, incidental costs...etc.

If they did..that would be AWESOME...but unprecedented in the high performance car parts industry.
I understand what your saying, what I think gurgen should do is give them an option pay for everything like removing the engine from the car, redoing the sleeves, reinstallation of the engine, turbo kit & whatever other expenses, if they donÃÕ want to do that bring them to court and sue them for all labor costs plus having another machine shop(like SPG) redoing the sleeves. There would be no way he would lose that case as long as this problem is due to the sleeve sinking.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 AM
turbo-maxima

If AEBS did the machine work. I would make them pay for it. Thats BS!!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:46 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally Posted by turbo-maxima
If AEBS did the machine work. I would make them pay for it. Thats BS!!!!
Exactly this is not the first VQ they've sleeved, they have done plenty of them
Old 04-07-2005, 10:08 AM
g356gear

Exactly this is not the first VQ they've sleeved, they have done plenty of them
But there are only a couple that have been run so far....1 went bad....pretty crappy odds. Others have been done but not fired yet. Fingers crossed for those gentlemen.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:22 AM
bwzabodyn

Honestly, unless you are looking at building a 800-1000hp purpose-built track car (ie unstreetable), this route just doesn't justify the risk/reward factor... just my $0.02....
Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 AM
fernandito7

Man that really sucks. Hope everything works out.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:41 AM
NismoGCoupe

Originally Posted by g356gear
But there are only a couple that have been run so far....1 went bad....pretty crappy odds. Others have been done but not fired yet. Fingers crossed for those gentlemen.
Are you saying one motor other then gurgens problem? since the problem with gurgens block is not definet yet.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by bwzabodyn
Honestly, unless you are looking at building a 800-1000hp purpose-built track car (ie unstreetable), this route just doesn't justify the risk/reward factor... just my $0.02....

you are referring to sleeving the block as not being necessary..i assume??
please clarify
Old 04-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
you are referring to sleeving the block as not being necessary..i assume??
please clarify
Not unless you are doing 650-700rwhp on a daily driver...no. Even then, I would get Darton before AEBS.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:06 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Not unless you are doing 650-700rwhp on a daily driver...no. Even then, I would get Darton before AEBS.

i should have made more clear my question

i understand the implication of when to sleeve a block...i was inquiring as to what bwz was trying to say in his post...he says "this route" and i was asking if he was referring to the sleeving process, that's all :

Originally Posted by bwzabodyn
Old 04-07-2005, 12:14 PM
g356gear

Are you saying one motor other then gurgens problem? since the problem with gurgens block is not definet yet.
No....just Gurgens....and we have talked about his symptoms...I would put money on it at this point.

Quick Reply: Sleeved/decked block problem.... going to do engine #4...