Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

possible blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 07:14 AM
tonio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down possible blown engine

I know this is the forced induction forum but I believe I'd get the best information from here, if the mods believe this should be in another forum I apologize.

My car is N/A, 03 G35 Coupe with about 50k miles. For the past six months I've been going back and forth with the local dealerships about my oil consumption problem, but none of them want to deal with me cause of my modifications (test pipes, nismo exhaust and everything else is cosmetic) Originally I'd go through 4 quarts of oil in about 3000 miles but the problem got worse and worse, and my last oil change was two weeks ago.

Now last night I was riding down I75 here in Atlanta and I began hearing a loud knocking noise, like metal hitting metal. I went to turn down my stereo and I let off of the gas at the same time and there was a sudden 'BANG' with a lot of rattling to follow. My car lost all power and I had to coast across 6 lanes of traffic to the shoulder on the right. Luckily I had about 5 friends with me that were driving their cars as well so I wasn't just stranded on my own.

After popping the hood I could smell what I thought was oil? Not completely sure cause it was also a burnt smell, this is the first time anything like this happened to me. I checked everything I could with a flash light and everything was still in tact (timing belt, hoses, etc) there was nothing leaking from the engine at all. If I tried to start the car it would begin to turn over but it never completely.

Before this happened I wasn't getting any warning lights or anything that would indicate I would have a problem other than the sudden knocking. I'm not sure if this is what anyone would consider symptoms of a "blown engine" but I've read a lot of the experiences posted here and I know what happened last night seemed somewhat similar.

So I'm looking for opinions, there is a possibility that the dealership will not honor the warranty because that is the position they have taken thus far. Personally, I would find it extremely hard to believe that test pipes would cause my car to just shut down completely but who knows. I was in the middle of an oil consumption test when this happened and I had to basically twist the dealerships arm to get them to do that.

At any rate, I'm just frustrated right now and looking for opinions. Thanks.

Last edited by tonio; 04-10-2005 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:38 AM
basam350z

If all you have is test pipes and other minor mods, I would just take it to the dealer. But swap out the test pipes so they don't hassle you.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:42 AM
tonio

The dealership doing the consumption test already knows about them. As a matter of fact the parts manager has the exact same thing except he has the stillen exhaust instead of nismo.

My car is in storage right now with the towing service (as advised by infiniti roadside assistance) and they will take it to the dealership on monday so I really couldn't change anything as of now if I wanted.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:00 AM
going deep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a serious engine problem here! Dont let the dealership give you any **** just because you have an aftermarket exhaust or something. If you have an friends that is an attorney or they know an attorney, I would seek their help. Remember, they have to PROVE that your mods caused this problem. Tell them you are getting a lawyer, even if you're not, and try to reach sometime of middle ground if they still don't budge. But, I have never heard of anyone blowing an engine with the mods you mentioned.

BTW, when I blew my engine with TTs, the scenario was exactly similiar to yours. That is the way the car shut down and would only slightly rumble and not turn over completely.
Ernie
Old 04-10-2005, 08:07 AM
g356gear

Originally Posted by tonio
The dealership doing the consumption test already knows about them. As a matter of fact the parts manager has the exact same thing except he has the stillen exhaust instead of nismo.

My car is in storage right now with the towing service (as advised by infiniti roadside assistance) and they will take it to the dealership on monday so I really couldn't change anything as of now if I wanted.
Hey Tonio,
I feel for you and your problem...but this issue is well known with the dealerships. Oil consumption issues were common on the early 03 G's and Z's. This is the first possible failure I have heard about because of the issue but I remember that a few dealers had replaced motors because of this issue on a TSB recall. I would just keep the pressure on your dealer of choice. They have to prove that the exhaust mods caused the failure....and with oil comsumption there's no way this could be the case...I believe.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:57 PM
1 2 NV

Try to find the law(code number if there is such a thing) or maybe someone knows it off hand and print a copy out and bring it in to them. I cant remember where i saw it but i do remember reading that you could do any mod you wanted and still be covered by manufactures warranty or even extended warranty. Do you have an extended warranty? Or did you report the consumption problem before your bumper to bumper was up and have documentation to prove it? Just my .02 cents. Sorry to here about it, be sure to lets know how everything gets worked out.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:38 PM
MIAPLAYA

The law is the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Heres is an excerpt from the text.

The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fradulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warrany or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:53 PM
tonio

I think this one falls under the 60k mile drivetrain warranty. As for the magnusson moss act, I became familiar with it about a year ago. My experience has been that some dealerships will call your bluff and wait for you to take legal action which is the next step for me.

The two that I've been to, Infiniti of South Atlanta and Nalley Infiniti just refused service all together. I wrote infiniti directly about this and never received a reply. After a month I called and was advised to just try another dealership and I'm like wtf?

I have had nothing but extremely bad service at the dealerships around here for just a couple of modifications. I dont go in with this attitude like "you need to fix my car" I just simply explain the problem I'm having and try to find some type of resolve. The only demand I made is that they put their refusal of service in writing (which none has done thus far)

I really wont know what action I need to take until later this week, I already have a lawyer lined up should I have to go that route but hopefully that will not be necessary.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:38 PM
homiusang

Best of luck tonio.
I hope legal action will make them do their job, and better yet, they will offer you extra compensation for all the hassle you have been through.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Lorca@Z1

tonio,

I know this has been a pain in the A** for you for a long time. FYI, I handled the lemon law claim on a freind's 350Z in Florida. Her car had transmission and oil consumption issues that led to replacement of the short block. At the arbitration hearing the Nissan rep appeared by phone and really didnt have any solid answers as to why the car should not be considered a lemon. However, in your case I can gurantee you that they will not let go of the test pipe issue. It looks like the procedure in Georgia is similar to the one I did in Florida. You need to file a claim with the arbitration panel.

Here is a link to the Georgia Code:
http://www2.state.ga.us/GaOCA/lemonlaw.htm

It is a quasi-legal proceeding so you don't need a lawyer, but according to Google there are quite a few attorneys in GA that handle lemon law cases on contingency. Since your case is complicated by the test pipe issue I would suggest contacting an attorney to handle the claim for you.

However, if you choose not to use an attorney, make sure every correspondence you have with Infiniti is via certified letter return receipt requested. I can promise you they will take you more seriously and if you go to arbitration the arbitrator will see you have all your ducks lined up and that you handled the situation is a professional manner.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:50 AM
bwzabodyn

Tony, I'm really sorry to hear about this... but imo, you have a case that's pretty much fool-proof... follow Lorca@Z1's advice and I wish you the best of luck... sorry man!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:31 PM
tonio

Well, to my suprise they are replacing the engine.. no questions asked. The dealership isn't 100% sure but it seems like one of the rods broke, they said the block had a huge crack in it though.

This is the third dealership I've been to and I'm glad that the problem will finally be fixed but I hate that they have to pick up the slack for the other two dealerships that would not help. At any rate, thanks for all of the advice.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:37 PM
bwzabodyn

is a built block in your future? or are you just going to keep it stock?

at any rate, congrats on the (somewhat) hassle-free experience...
Old 04-12-2005, 01:45 PM
tonio

Originally Posted by bwzabodyn
is a built block in your future? or are you just going to keep it stock?

at any rate, congrats on the (somewhat) hassle-free experience...
I havent even decided. I like the idea of twin turbo's but I also like the idea of just having a normal car with a working engine for now as well. I have 52k miles and my warranty will be running out soon anyway so I'm looking at that too. Would it be considered a slap in the face to the dealership if I turned around and got the APS kit when it comes out for the G35's? I guess considering the way I was treated before it shouldn't matter.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Lorca@Z1

LOL, slap in the face? Dealership? Your warranty is almost up anyway, what do they care if you go all the way and void the remainder. Besides, we are talking about a car dealership here, not a friend or relative. Also, keep in mind that Nissan/Infiniti makes the calls on this stuff, the dealership has very little say and they do get paid for warranty work.

Come for a ride in my car this weekend and see how you feel then
Old 04-12-2005, 03:23 PM
amolaver

i talked to a friend with an s4, and he had an interesting twist on something like your current scenario. he had a turbo let go - an exhaust-side vane broke off, and of course the bearings let go after that. anyway. the car was still under warranty (mileage/time-wise) although he had it chipped and an exhaust on the car. he talked to the service manager and managed a deal...

he bought aftermarket turbos, injectors and a handful of other parts. he basically let the dealer keep the oem replacement parts that were ordered to fix the blown turbo, and the dealer installed all his aftermarket stuff as if they were the warranty parts. he slipped the tech an extra couple hundred bucks to try and ensure things were done right, but arranged the deal with the service manager. obviously, this is not on the up-and-up per se, but if i was ready to do all the work, i'd certainly broach the subject with the service manager and see if he'd buy...