Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Just received my Turbonetics KIT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 11:26 AM
projectsherv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to say that Turbonetics has NO IDEA on what is going on. They were missing about 20 pieces out of my kit and to top it all off the main part the v-band clamp which was supposed to be sent out last monday NEXT DAY AIR was sent out ground so we just got the clamp and its the WRONG CLAMP! Get a grip on whats going on in your shop and send the right damn parts out!. I am about fed up with this kit and I have been seriously considering taking it all off and send it back.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:24 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by projectsherv
I just wanted to say that Turbonetics has NO IDEA on what is going on. They were missing about 20 pieces out of my kit and to top it all off the main part the v-band clamp which was supposed to be sent out last monday NEXT DAY AIR was sent out ground so we just got the clamp and its the WRONG CLAMP! Get a grip on whats going on in your shop and send the right damn parts out!. I am about fed up with this kit and I have been seriously considering taking it all off and send it back.
Man that sucks...Hang in there Shervin. Once it's on the road the long, frustrating wait will all be worth it.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:30 PM
DrVolkl

Hmmm...not exactly making me run out the door to buy one anymore.

Gonna sit on the fence a few more months perhaps.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:37 PM
BPL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you able to deal with Turbonetics directly? I called them today and after waiting on hold for over half an hour I was told that I would have to deal with the vendor that I bought the kit from. They would then have to request the missing parts from Turbonetics and have them sent to me. Well I tried to call the vendor and all I get is voicemail. I'm starting to get annoyed by this...
Old 04-22-2005, 03:50 PM
basam350z

I hear what you are saying, but you shouldn't have started the install before verifying that you have all the parts.

Old 04-22-2005, 03:54 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by basam350z
I hear what you are saying, but you shouldn't have started the install before verifying that you have all the parts.
Exactly what I've been thinking since reading this. Still, it's not an excuse for a manufacturer to leave out parts, though. I do find it hard to believe that they could be so careless as to not double check the fittings included in a peice of hardware they are wanting $4000+ for. It's like buying a new car and finding out they forgot the engine mounts and lug nuts.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Wicked4u2c

Like they said in the first thread... You should of waited for the APS kit Ahh, doesn't amaze me, they are doing it here too.. WELCOME to the Honda days

They better reinburst you all the money you have spent, that's BS. Your time is money too, im sorry but if you forget parts even washers or whatever there is something wrong and someone needs to get the boot. I can understand maybe 1 or 2 small pieces missing, but over 15!!

Good luck with the install, hopefully you don't blow your car up because they forgot to program the ECU
Old 04-22-2005, 05:44 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I agree that the first part of any major install should be comparing the contents of the kit to the parts list/manifest, it doesn't excuse the fact that I've now read three different peoples posts stating that major numbers of parts were missing from the kit. I'm certain that Turbonetics isn't thinking "Well, it's a low(er) cost F/I solution so people can tolerate a few missing little pieces" , so what gives? This kit, like it or not is a 6 thousand dollar toy. When people pay that kind of money for a toy, they expect it to come complete. Some of these parts are obviously difficult enough to find on the local economy that waiting for them to arrive from T-netics is the only viable option. I know I'd be frustrated too, no matter what order I did things in.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Steve@Evolution

We did verify all the parts prior the install. We knew exactly how many pieces were missing so we took actions first thing last Monday.
Last Monday we requested a small v-band clamp to be next day air to us. Then we went out and bought all the missing bolts, nuts, and washers. We were able to gather all the correct parts locally so we started the install. Middle of the week still no clamp so I called for tracking # and it turned out to be Ground shipping, no clamp till Friday. Worked on the car little by little knowing there is no clamp until Friday, we finished the car anyway.
Today, the clamp came, what do you know, it's the larger sized v-band clamp. The same extra clamp we received in the kit. Now I have two extra 3" clamp but no 2.5" clamp. I immediately called to complain and requested another small clamp next day air. We'll see on Monday if it comes.

Note: The install instruction from the kit really don't tell you exactly how many bolts, nuts, and washers is in there. We figured out how many are required by calculating from the install procedures and added them up. Turned out we were short.

Last edited by Steve@Evolution; 04-22-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:04 PM
projectsherv

Just wanted to say thanks to Steve and Evolution for putting up with my complaining. it has been a long week and even longer past couple of months waiting for the kit. I am definitely glad we are so close to completion. I was acctually thinking of digging a hole in my backyard and staying in there till monday. *crosses fingers waiting for monday*
Old 04-22-2005, 07:09 PM
basam350z

I hope Turbonetics of Miaplaya reads this. I'd like to see what they have to say about this. I know you guys that APS was hijacking some other thread about the turbonetics system, but honestly guys, I don’t think any other manufacture has ever provided as much information about there products as APS.

I'm on being bias in anyway, but as a consumer and a Z owner, I would have gone the APS route based on there presence on the forum as well as there knowledge about the Z and there products.

One question I'd like to ask. What makes the Turbonetics system so special and innovative? The reprogrammed the ECU and smacked on the basics. Sounds like a "Drag Honda System" to me. Not trying to bash them, but they really don't have any good excuses as to why they located certain pipes there they are. Also, I'm not extremely worried about the pipe the crosses the turbo to get into the intake manifold as I am concerned with under hood temps and maybe even the hoods paint and etc.

I'm not an expert on paint or heat, but will that thing get hot enough to cause some damage? Also the APS sitting by the Tranny, has that been address good enough for us by APS?
Old 04-22-2005, 09:06 PM
S12 driver

The APS system does look like it's better engineered, the exhaust has to travel less distance before it reaches the turbo. But the Turbonetic system is cheaper, and if the spool up and power is the same, then it's not bad either.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Speed Dreams

Why wait and get frustrated, buy a set locally and be done with. My kit was missing a 3" V-clamp....
Old 04-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I hope Turbonetics of Miaplaya reads this. I'd like to see what they have to say about this. I know you guys that APS was hijacking some other thread about the turbonetics system, but honestly guys, I don’t think any other manufacture has ever provided as much information about there products as APS.

I'm on being bias in anyway, but as a consumer and a Z owner, I would have gone the APS route based on there presence on the forum as well as there knowledge about the Z and there products.

One question I'd like to ask. What makes the Turbonetics system so special and innovative? The reprogrammed the ECU and smacked on the basics. Sounds like a "Drag Honda System" to me. Not trying to bash them, but they really don't have any good excuses as to why they located certain pipes there they are. Also, I'm not extremely worried about the pipe the crosses the turbo to get into the intake manifold as I am concerned with under hood temps and maybe even the hoods paint and etc.

I'm not an expert on paint or heat, but will that thing get hot enough to cause some damage? Also the APS sitting by the Tranny, has that been address good enough for us by APS?
Why does APS have to be dragged in every thread in the F/I section?

What does APS giving information about their products have anything to do with Turbonetics? It seems like they just end up posting in other threads not related to APS.

What makes the APS kit special and innovative is what you should ask. APS had examples of products to improve upon, Turbonetics with the single turbo kit, GReddy and Power Enterprise with the twin turbo kits, etc. Seems like a company that takes other product ideas and improves upon them. Which makes for a great product, no doubt, but not very original.

I don't think heat will be as big of an issue as everyone is suspecting. The only downside is I think the engine may get heat soaked alot sooner, so back to back drag runs (3+) are out of the question if you plan on your times getting better on each run.

Turbonetics hasn't had any problems with their kit and neither has MIA.

APS made a heat shield for the tranny, that should be discussed in another thread though.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by S12 driver
The APS system does look like it's better engineered, the exhaust has to travel less distance before it reaches the turbo. But the Turbonetic system is cheaper, and if the spool up and power is the same, then it's not bad either.
Better engineered from mediocre engineering, so like I said, it doesn't say much for being original.

(btw, for the record, i'm getting an APS TT kit )
Old 04-23-2005, 07:44 AM
basam350z

It's seems that APS was the first to recognize a possible design flaw from Nissan, and that's the Crank Sensor Wire. The also have the most complete kit, because that is what is necessary for the car to be safe. Hats off to the TT kit and I think the ST kit will live up to the hype.

But, to stay on topic, Turbonetics did a good job witht he single Turbo kit, but being from Wisconsin, I really can't go with a kit that doesn't allow adjustment of the fuel maps. Our weather can be as low at -10 and as high as 110. Does that mean that an e-manage would be better for me?
Old 04-23-2005, 07:12 PM
wtf no turbo

Originally Posted by JimRHIT
You guys do realize that they are NOT a retail shop, right?

Buy from a Vendor
http://www.turboneticsinc.com/locator.html

If you need tech assistance, they can help, but they don't sell you a kit on the phone ... they are kinda busy with other projects
Well i tried that first.After receiving 3 different answers decided to go to the source.I still never got a definitive answer until I called technosquare.You can say they are busy with this or that, but if my company went about customer service like this I would not be buying turbo kits.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:22 AM
MIAPLAYA

well let me respond to a few things...First off the missing parts...Obviously not working there I have no idea what happened. Believe me when I tell you my first call tomorrow will be to Brad to let him know what is going on with the missing parts. Believe me when I tell you that if I had whatever parts were missing I would personally send them to you...Not as a turbonetics supporter but just as a fellow enthusiast. As for the heat issues I have done MULTIPLE "test ride" runs back to back to back and not had a problem with heat. The videos that were posted were just one of many examples. During the filming of that video I performed no less then 6 back to back high speed high boost runs and through the entire event the car run strong and very rich...At one point I feared that I heard knock...wrong again..it was my short shifter rattling every so slightly. Since then I have done a 7 run set back to back and again the car ran rich and heat WAS NOT AN ISSUE. NEITHER WAS TUNING as the car ran rich all day. Crank angle sensor...now this is an interesting story I have for you. As many of you know my car got into an argument with a guard rail quite recently. The car came out of the body shop on a Thursday afternoon. Friday morning at 0800 I picked up the car. Turbonetics at no point got under the car or got it on a lift. They just dyno'd it. (Several passes). The day I picked up the car me and Jahme both noticed a check engine light was on. Scanning the code showed Crank Angle sensor error. Wierd. Drove to Performance. Found a problem with the crank angle sensor wires. Turns out upon some more investigation the body shop did some work under the car and gaffled the wires. Essentially the car would take a while to crank and would throw the code. Now I know what you are thinking...OMG your timing is going to be scattered all over the place and blow your motor...Thats waht I thought. But the car had seen a few dyno passes already and I had to get to Performance Nissan for my diff install. So I left Turbonetics knowing that they were going to cover anything that happened. I flogged my car unmerciful all the way to Performance (a 1.5 hour drive). No problems...thats right NO PROBLEMS. No pinging, no power loss, nothing. The only issue I saw with my crank angle sensor CERTAINLY NOT reading correctly was long crank on start up. Thats it. Now do I think the CAS wire replacement is un-needed...no...its a good countermeasure. Did it cause my motor to fail under several full boost runs...NO. As a matter of fact the car ran just fine. I did hear some info that the people at Unichip were having problems with the sensor signal not being clean enough for their piggyback to work but that would mean that only if you are running a Unichip is it a problem. Besides the only car to ACTUALLY exhibit this issue is the APS boosted car running on the Unichip. So if anything I'm happy I'm running a ECU reflash over the Unichip. As for the stock ECU adjusting to temperature... As Sharif pointed out in one of his posts the stock ECU has several maps stored for different situations. Becuase of this the ECU can switch the appropiate map for the given conditions. Since all of the maps are altered in some way by Turbonetics during the reflash all of them are safe. So if there was a drastic change in temp or altitude the ECU is going to automatically switch to the appropiate map for the conditions. The map it switches to will have been altered by Turbonetics to allow the best SAFE performance with the turbo, injectors, etc. Ambient temp and alt will be adjusted for based on the ECU data feed for temp, pressure, etc just like stock but tuned for boost.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:29 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by wtf no turbo
Well i tried that first.After receiving 3 different answers decided to go to the source.I still never got a definitive answer until I called technosquare.You can say they are busy with this or that, but if my company went about customer service like this I would not be buying turbo kits.
I do feel bad for your experience. I will of course let Brad know first thing tomorrow what happened. As with any company sometimes changes need to be made. Turbonetics believe it or not does have their ears open for improvements. One of them that was suggested by Speed Dreams regarding the Power Steering cooler is being looked at right now. I wish I could say that I would take care of you but not being an employee the best I can do is relay your info to Brad who is the General Manager. I hope I have been as helpful to everyone as I have tried to be in being a go between with Turbonetics. They really do have some great people over there.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:26 AM
basam350z

This would be pretty good news for me, I'll have to give Technosqaure a call/email to make sure the ECU can handle switching to the correct maps after it is reflashed.

So if you have something like an e-manage or Unichip, does the ECU still switch maps and will won't that really through off the tuning in and negative way?

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
As Sharif pointed out in one of his posts the stock ECU has several maps stored for different situations. Becuase of this the ECU can switch the appropiate map for the given conditions. Since all of the maps are altered in some way by Turbonetics during the reflash all of them are safe. So if there was a drastic change in temp or altitude the ECU is going to automatically switch to the appropiate map for the conditions. The map it switches to will have been altered by Turbonetics to allow the best SAFE performance with the turbo, injectors, etc. Ambient temp and alt will be adjusted for based on the ECU data feed for temp, pressure, etc just like stock but tuned for boost.

Quick Reply: Just received my Turbonetics KIT!