Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Got the low down from aam on vortech/greddy type s

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005 | 06:56 AM
freezeg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the low down from aam on vortech/greddy type s

So the answer i got is it will work. Apparently because the vortech is always venting at vaccuum, it forces the type s open to bleed off. Thats all they said. Maybe spring stiffness plays a part in this, im not sure.
Old 04-15-2005 | 12:02 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They didnt say any thing else ? Well maybe the spring needs to be changed out . Vacuum alone will not open it up . I tried hooking it up to a vacuum port , not on the car . It wouldnt open , even adjusted all the way out . It needs to be open under vacuum so the car runs normal while cruising and under light throttle
Old 04-15-2005 | 04:25 PM
freezeg35

Sorry boog, thats all they said. I was in a rush to go to work so i didnt have a lot of time to chat with them. Maybe you can give them a call, and get a bit more info. Best of luck and please keep me posted on anything you hear or figure out about this. Freeze.
Old 04-17-2005 | 07:47 PM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by booger
They didnt say any thing else ? Well maybe the spring needs to be changed out . Vacuum alone will not open it up . I tried hooking it up to a vacuum port , not on the car . It wouldnt open , even adjusted all the way out . It needs to be open under vacuum so the car runs normal while cruising and under light throttle

A BOV will not function unless the plunger is pressurized. The pressure differential in the manifold as compared to the intercooler pipe before the throttle body is what makes the plunger move up. The Greddy uses the same flange as the Vortech. We have a customer currently that is using this setup.
Old 04-18-2005 | 12:00 PM
booger

So even under light throttle [ throttle plate slightly open ] the BOV will be closed ? and all the air is going to the manifold ? Does this require for the car to be tuned in the vacuum side of the map ? As opposed to letting the ECU take care of the A/F while the motor is under vacuum .
Maybe Im looking at it all wrong . But when I hook the S type up to a vacuum source , the plunger seemed easier to push up with my finger but still didnt seem to open easy enough to keep psi from building .
WHen I had the RS type on the car , it wouldnt open at all and my A/F was lean as hell while under vacuum and light throtttle
Old 04-18-2005 | 05:55 PM
freezeg35

So even under light throttle [ throttle plate slightly open ] the BOV will be closed ? and all the air is going to the manifold ? Does this require for the car to be tuned in the vacuum side of the map ? As opposed to letting the ECU take care of the A/F while the motor is under vacuum .
Maybe Im looking at it all wrong . But when I hook the S type up to a vacuum source , the plunger seemed easier to push up with my finger but still didnt seem to open easy enough to keep psi from building .
WHen I had the RS type on the car , it wouldnt open at all and my A/F was lean as hell while under vacuum and light throtttle
So boog have you tried the type s on the car itself?
Old 04-18-2005 | 06:17 PM
booger

the RS not the S
Old 04-18-2005 | 07:50 PM
dynamic6er

I'm not really sure what the issue is with the Type RS. For the most part no BOV will be constantly open. It tends to flutter open and closed or just slightly crack. This is why the Vortech has a whistle (man that needs to be a spelling bee word ) under light/no throttle while coming to a stop.

How lean is lean? Under some vacumm and almost all close throttle conditions the ECU shuts the injectors off completely. You will go off the charts lean in that condition.

One thing to note is that the pressure differential sensativaty can be controlled by the spring pressure. Vortech offers one of the smallest differential springs of all manufacutres (I think they told me 6 psi but it may be less). In other words if the motor is at -6psi and the blower is putting out 0 psi then the bov will open.
Old 04-18-2005 | 08:56 PM
freezeg35

Originally Posted by dynamic6er
I'm not really sure what the issue is with the Type RS. For the most part no BOV will be constantly open. It tends to flutter open and closed or just slightly crack. This is why the Vortech has a whistle (man that needs to be a spelling bee word ) under light/no throttle while coming to a stop.

How lean is lean? Under some vacumm and almost all close throttle conditions the ECU shuts the injectors off completely. You will go off the charts lean in that condition.

One thing to note is that the pressure differential sensativaty can be controlled by the spring pressure. Vortech offers one of the smallest differential springs of all manufacutres (I think they told me 6 psi but it may be less). In other words if the motor is at -6psi and the blower is putting out 0 psi then the bov will open.

So dave, for arons car did you change the spring in the type s, also if you didnt, is it adjusted all the way out in the soft position. Something else to consider if one would keep the maxflow bov would be to put an even softer spring in it so at vaccuum it would stay open more thus decreasing or eliminating that horribe horrible whistle.
Old 04-19-2005 | 05:32 AM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by freezeg35
So dave, for arons car did you change the spring in the type s, also if you didnt, is it adjusted all the way out in the soft position. Something else to consider if one would keep the maxflow bov would be to put an even softer spring in it so at vaccuum it would stay open more thus decreasing or eliminating that horribe horrible whistle.

We basically just bolted it on. No change in spring and no change in tension. I think later we played with the settings, but it did not really make a difference. The whistle is becasue of how Vortech cuts the edge on the plunger. I'm not sure it can be gotten rid of.
Old 04-19-2005 | 06:31 AM
baptist

I have the whistle and I have the Type S fitted. Doesnt matter what BOV you use, you will get that whistle, because the valve is just off its seat. A filter on the end is the only way to get rid of it, or recirculate the thing.
Old 04-19-2005 | 09:13 AM
freezeg35

Originally Posted by baptist
I have the whistle and I have the Type S fitted. Doesnt matter what BOV you use, you will get that whistle, because the valve is just off its seat. A filter on the end is the only way to get rid of it, or recirculate the thing.

How different is the type s whistle vs the maxflow?
Old 04-19-2005 | 09:46 AM
baptist

Dunno, never fitted the Maxflow, put this one on at the install. More of a whooshing than a whistle with the Greddy. Needed adjusting, but its perfect now.