Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS TT Install at Dyno-Comp

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 09:20 PM
ZZtopp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked with Richard @ Dyno-Comp today. The car has been dynoed/tuned. The approximate numbers he gave me were 310-320 HP at the wheels. He said he talked with APS last night and they said that those numbers were right in the ball park considering I'm running the stock exhaust, stock cats, and 91 octane. The car is running about 7.5-8.0 pounds boost. I neglected to ask the torque number. I'm sure I'll get the full dyno sheet when I pick up the car on Saturday.

He said the number would go up about 40 HP if I add the APS exhaust and cat delete. I can't delete the cats due to Nevada emissions, so I guess high-flow cats would be my only option. He also said that he tunes the car for safety......no blown engines wanted. He tunes it to minimize any possible heat from the back pressure of the stock exhaust, expecially with the hot Vegas summer on the way.

The load bearing dyno they use usually gives them a baseline of about 210 HP for a stock Z, so these numbers may be bit low compared to other dynos.

I'll give a full review after I pick the car up.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:22 PM
cloudy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That seems verrrrrry low. APS says 8psi is perfectly fine, so no worries about blowing an engine... Usually dynocomp tunes safe and good performance... weird... But ya I would get a custom exhaust and test pipes... i mean when do u have to go emissions again? And when u do.. just put ur stock cats on.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:35 PM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by cloudy
That seems verrrrrry low. APS says 8psi is perfectly fine, so no worries about blowing an engine... Usually dynocomp tunes safe and good performance... weird... But ya I would get a custom exhaust and test pipes... i mean when do u have to go emissions again? And when u do.. just put ur stock cats on.
`

They test here every year. I really don't want to change out the cats and retune twice every 12 months....especially since there's no one in Las Vegas that can tune the unichip software.

Maybe Peter will respond regarding the power. Perhaps this is what to expect from this setup and 91 octane.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:25 PM
cloudy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt havn a TT non-carb legal anyway? So why are u worried about cats?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:09 PM
ZZtopp

Originally Posted by cloudy
Isnt havn a TT non-carb legal anyway? So why are u worried about cats?

What? "Carb" is California only. It means: California Air Research Board.

In Nevada, the TT system is fine if I can pass the emission sniffer test.....that requires some sort of cat.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:25 AM
mrtomcat

those numbers look extremely low, usually cars with stock exhaust are around 380 and going up to 420 with the exhaust and test pipes based on what I read around here.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:04 AM
Gman2004

Did dyno comp actually tune the car or is this the out of the box tune? I am confused. You say dyno comp tuned the car for safety but the kit already comes tuned for safety.

Here is a quote from Peter on another forum stating that tuning is not required. http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...5&page=2&pp=15

Originally Posted by APS
Firstly, let's agree that the APS TT and ST systems are delivered with pre-tuned engine management and produce awesome levels of engine performance - out of the box and plug-in. No further tuning is required unless significant changes are made to the engine's specifications such as low-comp pistons, high performance cam shafts etc. Then - and only then - is additional tuning required and it is our opinion that this tuning work should be performed by a highly experienced tuner on a load based dyno.

Last edited by Gman2004; 05-13-2005 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:18 AM
arizzee

When you have the chance, please post the dynos. Curious about the torque and a/f ratios. The dyno that Richard uses will show lower numbers than a dynojet. I would trust his tune for the desert conditions. Most people that haven't lived in the desert have now real idea of the intense blast furnace that are our summers. thanks for the updates.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:09 AM
ZZtopp

Dyno-Comp did custom tune the car. I'll post dynos when I return with the car tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:04 PM
bwzabodyn

the question, though, is... why? I definitely would rather have the company that designed the kit in the first place to be tuning the kit (ie out of the box), versus someone that is just installing it - regardless of his level of expertise, he is still not the guy who designed/fabricated/R&D'd the kit...

If you are looking for safe - then you shouldn't mess with it in the first place... esp. if that's not the exact area where you live...
Old 05-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by bwzabodyn
If you are looking for safe - then you shouldn't mess with it in the first place... esp. if that's not the exact area where you live...
I was wondering this same thing. How can they tune for another cities weather, unless they have similar tempuratures in these two cities. I don't know much about those areas of the US myself.

Last edited by Gman2004; 05-13-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:40 PM
captj3

His numbers sound right.My TT dyno was 360/340 93octane map from GRD/Tuan.That was with H/F cats and stillen exhuast.I just had test pipes installed and I can tell you I gained 20hp or more haven't redynod yet.APS's TT kit according to there web site is 380ish with 9lbs of boost.H/F cats and exhaust will make a big differance with any turbo kit.Also my A/F 10.1 from 3k to red line.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:55 PM
mrtomcat

the question, though, is... why? I definitely would rather have the company that designed the kit in the first place to be tuning the kit (ie out of the box), versus someone that is just installing it - regardless of his level of expertise, he is still not the guy who designed/fabricated/R&D'd the kit...

because every car is different and there can be different mods that affect your maps in different ways, there is no such thing is a universal tune just base maps and APS provides those at very safe levels from that on a tuner can now fine tune according to the individual car.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:57 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by captj3
His numbers sound right.My TT dyno was 360/340 93octane map from GRD/Tuan.That was with H/F cats and stillen exhuast.I just had test pipes installed and I can tell you I gained 20hp or more haven't redynod yet.APS's TT kit according to there web site is 380ish with 9lbs of boost.H/F cats and exhaust will make a big differance with any turbo kit.Also my A/F 10.1 from 3k to red line.
The APS web site show 427 whp at 9.5 with 94 fuel.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by captj3
What type of dyno was this?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:07 PM
captj3

It was a dyno jet.The same one that sfzcc uses when they have there dyno days.My past dyno with plenum H/F cats and exhaust was 257/240.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:53 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by ZZtopp
I talked with Richard @ Dyno-Comp today. The car has been dynoed/tuned. The approximate numbers he gave me were 310-320 HP at the wheels.
Hi Jeff, I have communicated with Richard from dyno comp and the APS twin turbo install was not really complete when he spoke with you (maybe he did not convey that to you fully) and I expect that the car will produce higher WHP when totally finished and tested.

That said Richard did emphasis that he was being very conservative with your car/engine because of the stock exhaust system being retained and the very high ambient temperatures (up to 115 F) and the fuel quality of the 91 octane fuel around your general region.

I believe that you will be very pleased with the entire turbo install when the car is delivered to you, by all means provide us with an udate when you've had a chance to drive and test your APS twin turbo Z car.

Thanks

Peter
Old 05-13-2005, 03:03 PM
APS
Banned

the question, though, is... why?
I think this is fairly typical of an experienced dyno tuner (Richard does have a good dea of dyno tuning experience) who knows a lot about both his local environmental conditions and the fuel quality - not a bad thing if the tuner had good tuning knowledge and turbo charger experience.

I definitely would rather have the company that designed the kit in the first place to be tuning the kit (ie out of the box), versus someone that is just installing it - regardless of his level of expertise, he is still not the guy who designed/fabricated/R&D'd the kit...
That's very true though it's nice to see this APS dealer really thinking about the customers needs and engine reliability given the car is running the stock exhaust system is very extreme conditions.

Thanks

Peter
Old 05-13-2005, 03:06 PM
APS
Banned

Originally Posted by Gman2004
I was wondering this same thing. How can they tune for another cities weather, unless they have similar tempuratures in these two cities. I don't know much about those areas of the US myself.
In very high ambient conditions ( Nevada can frequently be over 100F) an experienced dyno tuner may choose to run the full throttle/load air fuel ratio a little richer and utilise a more retarded ignition timing strategy to ensure the best possible engine safety to cope with the higher air charge temperature and lower octane fuel, (91 octane fuel) all good imho.

Peter
Old 05-13-2005, 06:11 PM
ZZtopp

I spoke with Richard today, and the final numbers are MUCH higher. I'll post everything when I return over the weekend.

Quick Reply: APS TT Install at Dyno-Comp