Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: What Kit Blew your Motor and what PSI Select 2 only
Stock w/ Minor mods cams/headers incld.
12.12%
Greddy TT
36.36%
Vortech SC
10.10%
APS TT
13.13%
PE TT
3.03%
Turbonetics ST
8.08%
ATI SC
8.08%
Stillen SC
1.01%
SSR TT
1.01%
Nitrous
6.06%
>8psi
29.29%
<8psi
20.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on Blown engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rich150001
Actually there has been a turbonectics kit blown. I was sitting shotgun when it happened. Do a search.
TAURRAN=OWNED!!!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:27 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
TAURRAN=OWNED!!!!!
Look at the date on my original post... genius.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Zexy

3 blown APS motors? Yeah... right....
Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 AM
alpine

FYI... APS TT Kit, 8lbs, best the hell out of it EVERYDAY, Track/Drag "often", 420RWHP, Stock Internals, ZERO PROBLEMS.

This is an excellent "all in one kit" from it's design and components, you don't need anything "extra" to get 400RWHP safely from your stock motor with proper installation & tunning.

With this kit, and any other kit, this is all going to come down to "TUNING" as someone'll say that "anyone can install the kit" which isn't quite true, but I suppose you could say that.

Will this kit blow a motor? Hard to tell, there have been plenty of N/A failures, so more often then not I would say PEOPLE blow motors before I would look to the kit.

I mean c'mon, we're driving a standard issue "sports car" here and people in the performance arena whether FI or other are pushing these motors to their limits and more often than "generally expected".

I have always given the VQ more credit than most, specially in the beginning, but I believe we are past all of this.

Someone posted about this thread being a good idea, but bad judgement and I can't agree more.

This poll is about as good as a poll that asks "which is th best FI kit"? because you have to do YOUR homework to suit YOUR needs and consider what YOU REALLY want the kit/motor to do for you, not just buy the thing the last got bought! or what some on-line engineer told you was the best one.

Defintely tracking who said what will reduce the BS input... but really, who's to say what gets into your poll is accurate/valid? More than likely this will just mislead people more....

Which is NOT something people need when reseaching FI....

Last edited by alpine; 10-12-2005 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:21 AM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

maybe someone has blown there motor on the aps kit but they dont want to deal with everyone on here .. **** happens man.. and ill bet there has been more than one.. same with tnetics... not everyone who goe's FI gets on the internet man.. there are alot of other people out there.. and some that do dont post.. so you never know.. if you get in the FI then you know the risk factors simple as that.. **** any car can blow at any time.. if you push your car hard than you have a chance..so just be as safe as possible and research as much as possible.. then do your thing according to how safe you want to be.. thats all you can really do
Old 10-12-2005, 10:06 AM
baptist

Or maybe a couple of people have put that they have blown motors with the APS, just to stir it up again.

Thats more like it.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:21 AM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Ok Here It Is.. I Have A Blown Motor With The Aps... There.. It Happened
Old 10-12-2005, 10:35 AM
calimarc

Originally Posted by paranormal
Ok Here It Is.. I Have A Blown Motor With The Aps... There.. It Happened
Very sorry to hear this Paranormal. I would not blame you if you do not wish to get into the details. You did suggest in your post that people do as much research as possible to know the risks concerning F.I. That being said I have a couple of questions if you wish to answer them. Did an authorized APS dealer do the install ? Can you share what let loose...rod, piston, ect? What was your air fuel ratio ? Any information relating to the failure of your motor would help us.
I am doing my APS TT install right now and might be able to benifit from your most unfortunate experience. I hope things can work out for you.

Last edited by calimarc; 10-12-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:49 AM
mcduck

I don't find this thread to be a bad idea, but I think the initial post should have included a caveat stating there are several factors to consider, the kit IMO being only one factor. More important was if the kit was installed properly and another is if it was tuned properly.

While I don't think the poll is 100% accurate since anyone can post, I think there are two facts you can be certain are true...

1. More Greddy TTs have blown than anything else. I'd say this is A) because they were the first to market and more kits were sold than the other TT or ST kits, therefore there are more of them on cars that could blow and B) most due to poor tuning. Many Greddy TTs are running around that have had no problems.

2. As a whole, SCed cars experience far fewer failures than TT cars. Generally pushing lower power numbers and the fact that peak power comes up more quickly on a TT car.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:54 AM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Originally Posted by calimarc
Very sorry to hear this Paranormal. I would not blame you if you do not wish to get into the details. You did suggest in your post that people do as much research as possible to know the risks concerning F.I. That being said I have a couple of questions if you wish to answer them. Did an authorized APS dealer do the install ? Can you share what let loose...rod, piston, ect? What was your air fuel ratio ? Any information relating to the failure of your motor would help us.
I am doing my APS TT install right now and might be able to benifit from your most unfortunate experience. I hope things can work out for you.

air fuel was 11.4

no an aps dealer did not do the install but the install was dont really well.. the directions were followed to a T and everything was double checked.. look at my other post i just made.... i dont know exactly what let loose but im assuming it was a rod as usual with our motor's.... honestly i wouldnt be worried about it.. i seriously think im just doomed to have messed up **** happen..
Old 10-12-2005, 10:59 AM
mcduck

Question...

Can anyone direct me to a thread or threads discussing blown Vortech SCed Zs? If you know of any, please post a link. I know of at least one and suspect there may be others, but cannot find anything on them using the Search feature.

Just wanted to do a little research on what caused those failures since I'm not pushing smore power with my Vortech.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:19 PM
kzanard

Default Vortech

I am Vortech in the poll. Last fall I had experienced a few limp mode issues before putting car away for the winter. I never found exact cause. This spring I had the same issue once or twice in a couple of weeks. I noticed the wideband was reading quite rich during a 50 mile trip I took. Next day the car had a very loud exhaust sound. I made appointment to bring it to the tuner/mechanic (who is 60 miles away) and dropped it off later in the week. The engine supposedly seized while they were looking at it. They thought it was main bearings that went and heard some piston slap when they were troubleshooting and also said the SS box program was found to be "corrupt" (not sure what caused that). Had the engine torn apart and found ALL of the crank bearings disintegrated. Nearest guess was that the the FMU was somehow stuck on and gas ruined seals & bearings, etc. My car has been in the shop since April (I get it back this Saturday). I am not a mechanic by any means and do not claim to know exactly what went wrong. PM me if you want more specifics.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Fairlady_z33

how about Aps TT on stock Z. Anybody had problems.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:03 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do it the right way and have it tuned properly, shouldn't have a problem with any blown motors or anything!!!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 03:13 PM
alpine

Originally Posted by paranormal
air fuel was 11.4

no an aps dealer did not do the install but the install was dont really well.. the directions were followed to a T and everything was double checked.. look at my other post i just made.... i dont know exactly what let loose but im assuming it was a rod as usual with our motor's.... honestly i wouldnt be worried about it.. i seriously think im just doomed to have messed up **** happen..
Are you serious? You had a APS kit, on your car, and it blew?

An APS dealer didn't install it, ok.. sure.. that might be fine, who tuned it? How was it tuned? What dyno did the tune it on? How much experience did they have with the unichip? Any experience with the APS TT before they got to your car?

Blowing motors isn't about A/F, it's only a single factor....

Then you said something about "assuming it was a rod as usual with our motor's"... there is no usual here.... any motor has problems with the rods, when pushed over "general expected usage" and the rods we're running around with "stock" are better than most and very likely better than the lower end crap out there you can buy aftermarket, I had to mention that because then people will say "aftermarket rods, pistons, rings are better" without qualifying the components, manufacturers, actual product, and other details....

This isn't to put/bring you down, this is for "informational purposes only".
Old 10-12-2005, 03:15 PM
alpine

Originally Posted by Fairlady_z33
how about Aps TT on stock Z. Anybody had problems.
yes...

I already posted above a few posts before this....

Did you miss it?

If you're referring to my other mods, none of them are motor related so it's not like my body kit, wing, or audio system is preventing mine from blowing.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:59 PM
keeptrying

Mods can we get this pinned?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:07 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcduck
Question...

Can anyone direct me to a thread or threads discussing blown Vortech SCed Zs? .
Duflacci blew one on motoring.. do a search on his user name over there.. Don't recall others but there must be a few more not the interweb I'm my local area, I know of about 12 guys that have FI in their Z/G's .. only a few of them post here.. and 3 of them have blown their motors so far.. all of them superchargers..

--mike
Old 10-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Gman2004

Booger on this board blew his motor with a vortech, but that was due to not enough timing being pulled.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:39 PM
LOU

I bent 5 of 6 rods. Woo Hoo! Vortech baby! If you are going to blow it up... might as well go out big.

And for those wondering, it was at about 12psi on the dyno. Made a pull, turned the car off, started it back up and heard the clunking noise associated with bent rods. A/F was good, timing was fine, the wimpy stock rods just gave out. Car was driven on the street, road courses and at the drag strip.

Quick Reply: Poll on Blown engines