Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy Catch Can Install-*PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:44 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy Catch Can Install-*PICS*

I just finished installing a Greddy Oil Catch Can (thanks to www.forgedinternals.com)

First off, the instructions are in japanese, and I don't speak Japanese (or read it, for that matter) When Sharif was here yesterday, we went over how I could install it, the fastening of the catch can was still up in the air...

I fabricated a bracket out of a small piece of sheet metal:

The catch can was positioned like so (bracket bolted to front timing cover)

I cut out a small oval space in radiator mount assembly (to allow more space for the catch can-there is plenty of clearance on all sides of the can)

the hose that dumps into the plenum and the hose that dumps into the driver side air intake are joined by a T hose adapter and routed into the can:

The other connector on the catch can is the "out" and that goes back into the driver side air intake--the catch can should "catch" (hence the name) any blow-by- and only allow clean air to flow back into the air intake...
THE FINISHED PRODUCT:

If anybody else has a catch can, please post pics of where and how you mounted it...I am curious to see other setups.
THX

TODD

Last edited by 350zDCalb; 06-19-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:31 PM
GMADD

Looks good,

Is there really any use for it other than cosmetic ?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Z33Concept

Looks Good Bro!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 03:55 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMADD
Looks good,

Is there really any use for it other than cosmetic ?
It is supposed to catch any "blow by" gases or oil so that it does not flow back into the intake tract. I have heard a lot of guys say that this is something you should get if you are running any form of F/I.

Here are 2 pix of the GReddy can installed on a Procharged system. I got the pix off Zchickz.com or whatever that site is called.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Catch Can 1 (Custom).bmp (66.3 KB, 564 views)
File Type: bmp
Catch Can 2 (Custom).bmp (65.7 KB, 344 views)
Old 06-19-2005, 05:09 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

can we get some pics that i dont need to look at with a magnifying glass???

haha
Old 06-19-2005, 05:35 PM
zachcrosen

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
can we get some pics that i dont need to look at with a magnifying glass???

haha
I would but I cant seem to get the pic so that it is large enough to see and still fits within the allowable resolution!
Old 06-19-2005, 05:38 PM
protocav

the catch can needs to be under vacuum. it looks like the suction tube (the clear one) is going into the intercooler charge pipes...am i right? if this was the case, it would pressurize the catch can when you are boosting. that tube needs to connect to one of the turbo intakes, which are always under vacuum.

prhaps i just don't see where the end of the tube is. the install looks clean, though.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:52 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by protocav
the catch can needs to be under vacuum. it looks like the suction tube (the clear one) is going into the intercooler charge pipes...am i right? if this was the case, it would pressurize the catch can when you are boosting. that tube needs to connect to one of the turbo intakes, which are always under vacuum.

prhaps i just don't see where the end of the tube is. the install looks clean, though.
the clear return line feeds into the driver side turbo air intake
Old 06-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

very nice pics, and sweet install job Todd. Congrats.

Catch cans are a very good idea for any F/I application. This device catches any oil in the PCV lines, and delivers oil free air back into the intake stream. Oil in the intake can contribute to detonation, so a lot of F/I guys like to run the cans.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:25 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Todd....

Good work man... a very nice curve considering the 'possessed' nature of our ecu's. Finally, you can enjoy the car.

Sharif...

Ok, now when are you flying out to LA to do this for me??? Btw, call me back when oyu can.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:03 PM
konspec

just got done reading about your viper kill, catch can look sweet, oops i craped my pants!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:40 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Todd....

Good work man... a very nice curve considering the 'possessed' nature of our ecu's. Finally, you can enjoy the car.
well, the possession is back...my A/F magically is leaner than it was when tuned and rechecked on the street--amazing...i wish i had a standalone..

so, i'm waiting to hear back from altered atmposphere as to exactly what they did to my ecu when it was reflashed...and i'll hopefully go do a street tune tomorrow and back on the dyno to clean it up on saturday...

the saga continues..for now, i'm not driving past 3000 rpms..as i am being as conservative as possible until i know more

TODD
Old 06-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Todd, you need to look into a standalone if you are having this much trouble. I can PM you a few of your options if you want me to.

BTW, very nice job on the catch can.

Last edited by nis350ztt; 06-22-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:48 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Todd, you need to look into a standalone if you are having this much trouble. I can PM you a few of your options if you want me to.

BTW, very nice job on the catch can.
pls do...

i added fuel to where we pulled so much on the dyno...runs great..A/F at 11.2:1 or so...gonna street tune tonight and double check for a better nights' sleep

gotta find some more challenging races...supercharged vipers just ain't cutting it!
Old 08-15-2005, 02:40 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Default Revised Install***

so, per my in-person conversation with Gurgen, I changed my oil catch can configuration...the driver side is connected back to the intake...the passanger side, is the one that gurgen explained needed to be under vacuum...so that line has been run through the catch can..i still need to add some steel wool inside the can to further enhance its function...

please give me any comments you may have....

(ignore my ghetto lack of connectors for the hose leaving the driver side valve cover or the line returning back into the plenum)

THE OLD SET UP-for comparison purposes:
Old 08-15-2005, 02:56 PM
STFU Tuning

I think Catch Cans are great. The last thing you want is sludgy oil building up in your intercooler, decreasing it's efficiency. That is the main problem I have with non catch can systems.

On the EVO, you don't really need the vacuum source, you can vent it to atmosphere. It has been the same on the Skylines that I've worked with. One problem with routing the catch can back to the intake tract for vacuum is that there tends to be enough vacuum to suck alot of the blow by out of the catch can and into the intake tract, defeating the purpose of having the catch can. In the past, we have found ways to baffle the inside of the catch cans so that they actually trap all the blow by. This was helpfull on Subarus that tend to like the vacuum assist with evacuating the crank case pressure.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:58 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by STFU Tuning
I think Catch Cans are great. The last thing you want is sludgy oil building up in your intercooler, decreasing it's efficiency. That is the main problem I have with non catch can systems.

On the EVO, you don't really need the vacuum source, you can vent it to atmosphere. It has been the same on the Skylines that I've worked with. One problem with routing the catch can back to the intake tract for vacuum is that there tends to be enough vacuum to suck alot of the blow by out of the catch can and into the intake tract, defeating the purpose of having the catch can. In the past, we have found ways to baffle the inside of the catch cans so that they actually trap all the blow by. This was helpfull on Subarus that tend to like the vacuum assist with evacuating the crank case pressure.
please elaborate on your ways of trapping the oil
Old 08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
STFU Tuning

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185849

That is one example. Some people choose to use wire mesh. It is always best to have the can baffled, but you also want to make sure that what you use to baffle the can doesn't get sucked into the motor itself. The wire mesh works great, but you need to make sure it's secured.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:49 PM
mchapman

350zDCalb,

Is too much of the oil blow by still getting through?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:53 PM
STFU Tuning

Originally Posted by mchapman
350zDCalb,

Is too much of the oil blow by still getting through?
No way to really know unless you check the intercooler over time.

Quick Reply: Greddy Catch Can Install-*PICS*