Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Speed Magazine 350Z Tuner Wars!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:38 PM
1G-350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by J Ritt
I don't know anything about those 1/4 mile times (other than that they do look slow), but some of you guys are missing the point of the sidebar regarding the NA Z that beat all the turbo cars' lap times at Streets of Willow. That car wasn't actually part of the test. It was there because it's Mike Cronin Jr.'s personal car that he uses to do lapping days for fun. He drove it out there to the test. It was an interesting sidebar, and that's why it was presented as a sidebar...all of it's numbers weren't stacked up in line with the cars in the test. The point Dan Barnes (the editor) was trying to make by giving Mike's lap time for his personal car was: "if you want to run fast lap times on a road course, big power isn't the first place to look." Suspension, brakes, and tires will get you more on a twisty road course than lots of HP. Weight reduction would be a better route than big power. That was the editor's point of showing what Mike's car could do.

Sidenote...
During my suspension testing with Unitech racing, Mike actually turned a 1:27.29 in his car (while I was watching) using the Unitech Koni/Truechoice coilover setup (about a second faster than he could muster with the S-Tune kit. He then turned a 1:28.51 in my car which has a few less mods and is NA (with the Koni setup). He is an outstanding pro driver, and he knows that track extremely well. Nobody should doubt his skill, that much is for certain! I have no idea if he did the driving for the 1/4 mile segment of the test.
Jim

Definatly did not miss that side bar note... I learned a lot from this article, there is alot more to handleing, than slapping on some tein coilovers.... When I'm ready to add some more suspension upgrades, I'll try to contact him or yourself for some direction....

I also noted that Mikes friend with the GT3 runs a 1:33 .... Obviously not fair cause it is two different drivers... Still interesting...

PS any new products from Stoptech?

Last edited by roops350; 07-21-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Good points^^^

Also note that Mike, I am certain, knows his own car like the back of his hand, and would feel more comfortable pushing it the max, vs. testing these manufacturer's cars.

But I have no doubt that a properly dialed in NA car, in the hands of a professional driver, will run circles around most of these big WHP turbo cars.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:17 AM
J Ritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roops350,
The article's comment on the Porsche has to be taken into context with the big picture. 1:33 sounds maybe a little slow in terms of what a decent driver could do in a stock GT3 on stock rubber at Streets of Willow. A set of Hoosiers goes a LONG way on the track though (mulitple seconds vs. street tires, depending on the track length and configuration). That said, I think the GT3 comes with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups stock...which are basically an R compound tire to begin with. I'd bet a stock GT3 on Hoosiers would be down around the same times these modded Z's were laying down. An extra 100hp of smooth power delivery + less weight (stock curb weight of a GT3 is 3043lbs) helps quite a bit on any track!

Also, while Mike C and I were out there doing suspension testing, there were a couple of Ferrari 360's out there doing testing as well. Most of the time, it was either Mike or I out there, with one of the 360's. He and I both repeatedly blew past one of those guys like he was sitting still...while the other was running 1:24's and 1:25's...and Mike was running 1:27's and 28's. I was running 1:30's and 31's in the same car...doh That said, when referencing lap times vs. another car on a separate day with a different driver...all bets are off. Out there, the time of day can make a second difference...it can be 80 deg. F air temp at 9am, and 107 deg. by lunch time...huge difference in car performance.

Good point on the familiarity with the car Sharif. When we were testing, I was consistently about .5 seconds faster in my own car than I was in his car with the same suspension/tire setup in each case. I was more worried about going off in his car and dumping it into a ditch, so I didn't push the last bit that I could. I don't think Mike has that problem as much as I do though, because he's confident in his skills. Based on what I've seen (from both inside and outside his car on the track a few times), he is good enough to jump in and drive just about anything quickly right away. That unfamiliarity does account for something though...no doubt. Fortunatley in this test, they did it right and had Mike drive all of the cars back to back...same driver.

If they had done testing on the big track at Willow Springs, the NA Z would have definitely been very hard pressed to keep up. It would still be faster in the turns, but when you lengthen out the straights, the power differential really comes into play. On a short handling track like Streets though, balance and power delivery are paramount. Huge boost hitting mid-corner is not a fast solution on the road course! It is a rush on the street or drag strip though.

Overall, I think it was a great article. Fun to read, informative, and some very cool cars. Like others have said, it wasn't all fluff promoting an advertiser's product. I like that...good stuff.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:54 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I think the article said Mike got each car within an + or - .27 sec which I think is pretty decently consistent, before writing down their best lap time