Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New HKS supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 02:46 PM
illZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z BOY
you're such a tease, but in a good way!

Any update??
Old 07-24-2005, 03:57 PM
luanda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the most you should target safely on stock internals is 380whp.

The fact that you have the 2005 means that you have the slighly stronger stock rods which is good...most likely because they raised the rev limit to get to the 300HP stock rating.

Still, from researching forums not just for the Z, but for other performance cars, I have come to the conclusion that it's riskier to turbo an NA car than dialing up the turbo setup on a car that has a factory turbo. The powerband of the turbo means the power pours on fast and furious at 3k-4k RPM. That, plus it keeps massive amounts of heat in the engine bay. That's gotta shorten the engine life overall.

That said, I would agree with most that the APS kit is worth the bucks if TT gets your mojo going.

If you want a long-lived setup with either TT or SC, you should plan to get an oil cooler kit complete with thermostat, a double core rad, an enlarged oil pan (included with APS Kit extra for any SC kit), and some heavy duty cooling fans like SPAL. These preventative measures will help ensure your setup doesn't meet with an untimely demise.

Based on my research.....

I ended up going with a Vortech tuner kit, adding a fuel return setup, larger fuel pump, 440cc injectors, and Greddy Emanage. The weakest link in that chain is possibly the Emanage as some (like me!!) have been blowing ignition coils, although there seems to be a fix involving using some diodes with the ignition harness....can't confirm it definitively works. SO far so good though...

I'm pretty sure that Charles at CJ Motorsports has all the goodies you would need for an excellent fuel return setup.

If you want to research the HKS kit you should look for Rotrex Superchargers under various BMW tuner forums. The earlier versions have been met with some reports of failures, but I know the 350Z is based on a later generation.

Vortech has been supercharging 'stangs forever, and many other vehicles, and most forums have fairly positive feedback on ther kits over the long term. I mean all the 350Z installs are still too young to tell if they will prematurely kill off our Z engines. When I hear guys running over 100K with Vortech supercharger kits on their cars, with no engine rebuild, I feel a bit better about it.

Other items that will help you make more reliable HP with SC or NA for that matter are good set of equal length headers, high-flow cats, high flow catback exhaust, lightweight flywheel, and raised plenum - invented by Doug crawford at crawfordzcar.com

You lose about 1lb of boost, but you will still end up making more HP.

My 2 cents...

Last edited by luanda; 07-24-2005 at 04:15 PM.